“Terrific Pub Food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Axminster
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: 'Our 16th Century Coaching Inn commands an enviable position, conveniently situated on the main A35 where Devon & Dorset meet, between the bustling market town of Axminster, and the beautiful seaside town of Lyme Regis, the gateway to the Jurassic Coast.Neville & I along with our fantastic team, have worked very hard over the past 12 years to ensure that everyone who passes through our door can enjoy a fabulous range of home cooked traditional Pub Fayre - from sandwiches & light lunches through to super steaks sourced locally by our Butcher Duncan, from Honiton,& fresh fish from West Bay, Portland and Brixham. Come and enjoy a meal with us in clean, warm & comfortable surroundings. We offer an extensive menu with something for everyone, along with daily homemade specials and fabulous fresh homemade desserts.We have 3 separate dining areas and can cater for a total of 80 persons, or functions of up to 40 in our restaurant. We are proud of our 5 star food hygiene rating from East Devon District Council and also of our Tripadvisor reviews and seal of excellence for 2013 & 2014.We have extensive parking, are doggie friendly, and have large gardens & play area - families are most welcome.We are sure you will enjoy your visit to The Hunters Lodge and very much look forward to welcoming you!
yorkshire
“Terrific Pub Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I too read Shopaholic's review before we decided to visit Hunters Lodge for the 1st time this evening as we are on holiday down here for the week.
Hadn't booked but when we enquired if a table was available we were politely informed there was 1 table left but the food would be an hour. This was fine and it was well worth the wait. My wife and myself both had Steak which was delicious. The area is blessed to have such a lovely pub and the owners deserve every success for the hard work they put in.
It saddens me to see such a scathing review ( if things were that bad the logical option would have been a discrete word to the bar staff expressing concerns where perhaps an amicable solution could have been sorted out) but you cannot satisfy some people these days!
If your in any doubt then give this place a try. You will not be disappointed! (Would recommend booking to avoid any wait)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. Negative reviews are upsetting, but we are confident that readers such as yourselves look at the overall picture and therefore see the vast majority of positive comments we have. We are so pleased you chose to dine with us, and really do hope that we can welcome you back soon, thanks again. Best wishes, Sarah Causley

sunny dorset
“EXCELLENT LUNCH”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

In response to Shopaholic`s scathing review.. I am wondering if she really did actually visit The Hunters Lodge?? I have NEVER found the place to be smelly... and the puddings are beautifully presented and taste delicious!! The hunters chicken here is divine!!..... sorry but I have also NEVER encountered unfriendly staff..I have always found all staff to be polite friendly and helpful.
This place is very popular so does get busy ..especially in the summer months, so you may have to wait a bit longer.. never a problem for me!

...Anyway to get back to my own review.. I took my friend here for lunch.. we had a lovely jacket potato with tuna and mayo.. and salad and a drink of coke.. it was delicious.. lovely fluffy potato and plenty of tuna.. loved the salad too Thank you Hunters Lodge!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so much - your wonderful review really cheered us up! We look forward to welcoming you again very soon. Kind regards, Sarah
Staines, United Kingdom
“Lovely food shame about the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday night. Nice clean pub, food was excellent but the service was awfull, it took ages for our orders to be taken and we did not even bother with deserts as we must have sat there fo a good 20- 25 mins after we had finished our mains for the waitress to return from the kitchen, it was a real shame as I really liked this pub and the food.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking time to write a review - we really do appreciate it and take your comments regarding the service you received very seriously and apologise that the wait you endured ruined your experience with us.
I am really grateful to you for providing me with information about the exact date you visited - I have been able to address this matter with the staff concerned to make sure it doesn't happen again. Best wishes, Sarah Causley
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Below average food for expensive price.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was looking forward to having a meal here. Scampi and chips for £12? For what I got, I would only have paid £8 considering the surroundings. I was disappointed with what appeared to be scampi out of packet and McDonald's style French fries. Had it been better value I might have considered going there for the rest of the week. It's only Tuesday night. 11 sept. 2013.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sarah c, Owner at Hunters Lodge Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We were really disappointed to read your review sir, and saddened to hear that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
I find it difficult to know what to say with regard to your criticism about the price of the scampi (which is actually £11.45 - not £12) All I can say is, that all prices are stated on our Menu and therefore, if you had thought it excessive, I can not understand why you ordered it.

In response to the next point you make - one would have to go a very long way to find an establishment on the scale of ours, that does not serve breaded whole tail scampi from a packet.
Our scampi is made by Youngs; the scampi itself is sourced in the North Atlantic and it is a product which we have always found to be extremely good in the past.
A portion is 15 pieces which we know is very generous having compared it to that offered by other local eateries.
Our chips are a thin cut fresh chip - we choose them over the thick variety, as they take less time to cook, thus improving efficiency.

I notice with interest you are from the Midlands - I have family in that area and I am always flabbergasted when I visit, that the pub meals further up country are incredibly cheap and wonder how these establishments can make ends meet. I would imagine this must have something to do with the general cost of living being less.
I can only presume from your comments that you have compared our prices to those that you are used to, as, in our area you will find that we are very competitive.
I hope you can appreciate that I felt I needed to respond - Tripadvisor is a great place for customers to share their experiences, however, we are real people, and we really care about our business so we feel it is also important to put our views across as well.
Kind regards
Sarah Causley
Sorrento, Italy
“Superb service and good food too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Fitted us in on Bank Holiday Saturday after I had begged! Very good pub food at a very reasonable price. Judging it as a pub I gave it a mark of 4 , but the service we received from the second we made contact with them was brilliant, so I went the exta mile.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us, we really do appreciate it and are so glad you chose to dine with us. I hope we can welcome you back in the future. Kind regards, Sarah Causley