“Hard to get reservations, be careful” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de la Gare

Hotel de la Gare
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montbovon
Hotel de la Gare
You added Hotel de la Gare to your Saves list
Route de Chateau-d'Oex, Montbovon 1669, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montbovon
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Hard to get reservations, be careful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Two months before arrival date, sent email through the hotel website, no response.
Then, I made several phone calls with no answer, to the point where I assumed the wrong number was listed on the website. It isn't the wrong number, they just don't respond.
Finally found a time, early morning in Switzerland, to have my call answered. I was assured I had reservations for the two nights I was requesting in early October. I offered credit card number and check, but was told it wasn't needed. Confirmation would be sent by email.
Never got an email.
Cancelled my reservation--no response to that either.
October 14--On the train from Gruyere back to Geneva, stopped in Montbovon. Hotel was totally shut down and locked up. We were fortunate that we were returning to a very pleasant Geneva hotel for the night. It isn't closed permanently, but maybe for the winter??
Montbovon is interesting enough if you like the country and especially for hiking, bike riding, getting out in nature. I would highly recommend trying the B and B's that are located in Montbovon, to make sure that you have a place to stay when you arrive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent 4 nights in this lovely hotel. It´s an old building (1903) and the decoration also comes with a lot of antique stuff. The room we had was big enough, but could do with less furniture though. The beds were very comfortable, except for the pillows, way too thin! Our room had it´s own bathroom, with a small shower. Everything was nice and clean. There is an elevator. We liked all the old details of the building. The family that runs the hotel is very friendly and helpful. They are really nice, but also respected our privacy. The wifi was free and worked great. Breakfast was good, with homemade bread and yoghurt. We also had a couple of dinners in the hotel, and tried local specialties, and it was great! The hotel is located next to the station of Montbovon. During nighttime, there are no trains, and even though the hotel is also situated next to a busy road, we were never bothered with any noise. In Montbovon is not much to find, except for this hotel and a small store. It is a great environment to hike. But cities like Montreux, Gstaad and Gruyères and the chocolate factory are all at a reasonable distance, and are very easy to reach by train. The hotel was not expensive at all, and you get very good value for money. The only negative comment I can make, is that the hallway was pretty dark when we came back at night. Wasn´t easy to find our way then. We would definitely like to come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I came with a group of 20 people. The manager K. Eisentraut was very helpful in helping me prepare our arrival and quick to answer all my emails spread over several weeks prior to my stay.
The dinner was fine, the quantity sufficient, the price fair.
He took care of our particular needs, making place for 25 bikes and serving vegetarian meals.
This is not the place to be if you look for entertainment in the evening, but if you want a rest or are part of a self-entertaining group, it's perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Rapallo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Stayed one night here; hotel is clean and inexpensive, the staff is friendly, the bedroom is nice, the breakfast is normal. However, you should be warned: this is the only open place that you'll find in Montbovon after 6 pm! You don't want to return here unless it's sleeping time!
Among positive things, they do have a pc for surfing the net. And the hotel is a good base, for exploring the Chateau d'Oex and Gruyeres areas.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

It is the wonderful owner and manager who make this hotel a true gem. She is truly one of the most beautiful women that I have ever met. I am writing this review over a year and a half after our visit to 7 European countries. This was my family's favourite. We will never forget the hospitality! Believe me, you will feel the same way that we did. Stay here if you ever have the chance.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Been to Hotel de la Gare? Share your experiences!