“Experience Dependant on Room Allocation” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Tanis Villas to your Saves list
The Tanis Villas
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   Mushroom Bay, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Melbourne
“Experience Dependant on Room Allocation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 5 and this is our second stay at Tanis the experience you have here is totally dependant on the rooms you are allocated. We stayed in the std garden view rooms (bad move) the aircon almost works the ceiling fans sound like the diff of an xb falcon thats done 1 million miles, the toilets have required unblocking several times, only a trickle of water comes out of the shower head and sometimes you get hot water. The breakfast is limited. But the grounds, pools and position are all great. Some of the stand alone rooms look a lot better but I have a noticed these rooms are the last to be occupied, making me think these rooms are saved for walk in guests with the crappy rooms allocated to pre bookings. I am a little loathed to totally bag Tanis as the staff here are fantatic going well above the norm too make our stay enjoyable. Made in particular has taken me surfing on several occasions (in his own time). We also arranged a snorkeling trip with Tanis which was fantastic. Overall I would say our stay has been very enjoyable thanks to the staff but be carefull with your room selection as the quality variation is enormous.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised by our stay at Tanis Villas that we extended our stay! Probably the best location on the Island. My husband and I took our three teenage children 14, 18 + 19 and loved it. We hired scooters for us all at $7 day for the duration of our stay as its the only way to get around and allowed our kids a bit of freedom. Tanis Villas is right on Mushroom beach, which is just lovely - (10 min scooter ride to the main village). Each night we walked out from our accommodation (barefooted) and strolled along the beach to a different restaurant - there is about 6 or so to choose from, but to be quite honest, the best restaurant was at Tanis Villas!
Although not the most luxurious of accommdation, it was adequate. The rooms are big as are the beds. There is no hot water showers, but you really don't need it as its so warm outside.
All the staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough for us. There was snorkelling, water sports, fishing and boat trips available if you want it. My son's went surfing most days.
Tanis Villas is a lovely spot for an interlude from the mainland - no one trying to sell you anything, the only hassle we got was from some local children who asked us how our day was and invited my son's to play soccer on the beach!

A word of warning: Just be aware of the porters in blue shirts when you go back to the mainland - they take your luggage off the boat, then hassle you for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gosford, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We organised transfer through Tanis including pick up from hotel in Kuta to Sanur boat and return. Pick up from the hotel was 20 minutes early, the sketchy unkept driver avoided eye contact and talking to us. We arrived in Sanur 30 minutes early for the boat and were directed to sit at a designated restaurant 3 bin tangs later busting to pee I used the worst toilet I've ever experienced.. When I returned my partner was bombarded by sketchy locals who were taking off with my luggage dragging it through the sand then demanded money off me, I was sure this was set up by the driver or Tanis.

The boat was not a Tanis Express but owned and operated by another hotel. Arriving at Lembogan our luggage was dumped in the wet sandy shore and we weren't directed where to go. On check in we were not put in the villa we requested (from a trip adviser review) the room was sparsely furnished with poor fixtures and truly dated outdoor bathroom which was mouldy. We soon realised the aircon did not work after arguing for 45 minutes with the hotel manager we were put in the original villa, (even though there was only one other couple staying there) this was below third world but had great aircon so we could thought we could at least sleep. WRONG the mattress was harder than sleeping on sand, the pillows felt like they were filled with rice. NEXT OPTION get drunk pass out, the bintangs were old rusty and flat. We then had the room fill up with moskitos and geckos as large as my arm. HORRRIFIC

We were told different prices for every activity on the island the most expensive, by Tanis themselves! The best experience was the snorkelling near the mangroves, though my goggles could not be cleaned, snorkel had mould and the driver let us drift off in a rift which I thought was going to be the end of our lives. This price started at 30 each then came down to 30 for two people when I said to Tanis the dive centre quoted 25,000 IDR we. Agreed to 30 fot two people. On check out this cost showed up as $30 Australian so infact Tanis charged us 300,000.00 IDR! For snorkelling...

Dinner the first night was amazing the service, sluggish, ignorant, drinks half shots and obviously watered down spirits! Dinner the next two nights got progressively worse, even ordering the Escalope beef with red wine sauce came over as tough, dry old meat with chilli sauce (no red wine) I refused to pay for it in the end as it was so different to the first night.

It's a shame this place is not maintained and managed properly, the most dissatisfied experience was the dishonesty of staff and being called a liar about food I'd had two days in a row being SO different and the manager being disinterested in what I was saying. Clearly just wanted my money.

The island has nothing else to offer and the small amount of locals hate tourists unless they can rip you off, pretty much the same as Tanis.

Oh yeh and the youngest guy working there behind the bar has a few sips out of your straw before serving it....

I'd give it a miss.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms do not have a view, suite 2 (which they charge as a villa) is the worst
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in Tanis Suites. We had 3 suites all together and recommend suite 1 as the best location and best interior. I loved the outdoor bathroom but watch out for ants on the toilet. The aircon isn't very cold as the roomhaddock a high roof but it was cool enough to sleep and there is also a ceiling fan.

The resort has 2 pools and both are beautifully maintained and clean. One is beside the restaurant and the other overlooks the beach.

The restaurant has great food and service is amazing. My favorite was the crispy calamari!!
The food and drinks is reasonably priced for the island with Bintang 20,000 RP and average meal between 25,000 and 50.0000 RP.

I had 2 tradional massages during my stay and they were 150,000 RP which is more than Kuta but worth it.

We also went snorkeling in my favorite spot at the mangroves. We organized this through the hotel and it was 100,000 RP each for 3 people in our own private local boat and we went for approx 3 hrs. We saw amazing fish and the water is 1 foot to 8 foot deep with a gentle current you float down and the boat picks you up at the other end.

We booked transfers from Sanur to Lembongan through the hotel Tanis Express this was great and cost 400,000 RP per person return and included pick up and drop off at our hotel in Kuta/Legian area.

Overall we loved the hotel, staff, food and drinks and we will definitely return.
It's a great place to relax and do absolutely nothing or go on a tour or enjoy the watersports.

Thank you Tanis for my amazing relaxing trip. I can't wait to book my next one!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My friends and I booked Tanis for four nights but were so unhappy here we left and found other accommodation on the island. Our first night we stayed in a one bedroom villa. The bedroom was fine but the bathroom was not satisfactory. There was no hot water and the shower sprayed water over the whole bathroom. We moved then to another villa. In this villa the sheets on the bed were clean but stained and the towel I received was also stained and threadbare. The breakfast was terrible. The crepes came covered in strawberry topping (the kind that children usually put on ice-cream).The staff were very friendly but lounged around the resort seemingly not doing anything. The pool area was nice but there was a distinct smell of sewage, which made it quite unpleasant. The hotel feels like it's been forgotten. It is grubby and needs a good clean (which would not be difficult since 10+ staff can be found lying around the hotel most of the day). We did not feel comfortable or relaxed here. We paid upfront and so when we decided to move we were not reimbursed for the nights we did not stay at the hotel, which is fine but then the staff tried to charge us for filling up our two small water bottles that morning at breakfast. After explaining that since we had paid for two nights and two breakfasts that we would not be using perhaps refilling water bottles could be included?! We left and went to Tigerlillys. Our whole experience of the island improved once we had left Tanis. We relaxed and enjoyed our holiday. I highly recommend Tigerlillys.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Best 2 pools on the island. best value for money. Only $55/night for own bungalow. staff were very friendly and generous. Gave us a great party New Years Eve night, lots of fire works and great local buffet but not too rowdy. Fodd is great and cheap. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at Lembongan for almost a week, and we're so happy that we found Tanis. The hotel has a perfect location right at the calm Mushroom Bay. It has a beautiful garden with mango trees and flowers, two pools, a good restaurant. Considering the relatively low price you pay to stay her, you'll get a romantic paradise!

Nusa Lembongan itself is a very pretty island with almost no traffic. It's very easy to drive a motorbike here (we rented one from the hotel, good price!) and you can easily and relatively quick go to other beaches on the island. At Sunset beach you can enjoy a dinner at the beach club while watching the sunset. Tanis is located only a 15 min walk from sunset beach. Mushroom Bay itself is very small and calm, and has a couple of good restaurants, we would especially recommend Mushroom Beach Bungalows at the other end of the beach. It has a great view over the beach.

Please note that you don't go here for partying, but for relaxing. The stillness on the island is stunning and very purifying. Also, please note that there are no ATMs at Lembongan. Make sure to bring enough cash.

We also rented a double canoe from the hotel one day, and paddled to the "main" beach, Jungubatu, where we had lunch. Actually, our advice is to rent everything at the hotel, since they'll give you good prices and a great service.

We would highly recommend you to go on a snorkeling trip organized by the hotel. The you'll have a person taking you to three amazing coral reeves around the island in a private boat (equipment included). The snorkeling is spectacular! Don't miss it!

The staff at Tanis were extremely friendly and helpful, and the service was excellent. The hotel was a bit weared, but very clean and tidy and well taken care of by the staff. And, again, considering the price it's def a five star hotel in that price range!

The breakfast included in the price was def ok, you could choose to order something from a menu, and if you wanted something extra you could add it to your breakfast. It wasn't really needed, but if you wanted, the extras were affordable.

When we were heading back to Bali, we got a great deal by the helpful guy at the reception desk: Tanis Express took us back to Bali and a driver picked us up there and drove us to our hotel at Bali, and for that we paid less than the cost of two single tickets back. The trip was fast and safe. We're very satisfied with everything at Tanis.

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean 2, one of the four rooms with a view over the ocean. It is highly recommended, ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tanis Villas? Share your experiences!