“Difficult to find faults - unlike other contributors!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Leopold Brussels
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Rue du Luxembourg, Ixelles, Brussels 1050, Belgium   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Ixelles
Wiltshire UK
“Difficult to find faults - unlike other contributors!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Booked Hotel Leopold via a Railbookers deal. Was concerned about some of the comments maybe there are two Hotel Leopolds in Brussels or maybe some of my fellow whingeing contributors have expectations way in front of their budgets. Our room was very fine and kept immaculate by the chamber staff.
Reception seemed to get many complaints - I just cannot understand it they were helpful, polite, kind and went the extra mile - EVERY time we passed they looked up, smiled and greeted us. They gave advice out phones, the metro system, walking routes etc etc.
OK now the food.... Breakfast was busy BUT the staff then opened other areas and I really did not see anybody for 3 breakfasts who had to wait, nothing ran out so no problems. Diner we eat in the hotel twice (I am an ex Chef and ex Hotelier so have some knowledge and expertise) the food was absolutely FINE of good quality, well presented and well served - OK I would have liked some chopped onion with my oysters BUT 6 for £10 common.
All in all a good hotel at a good price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear eisak

Many thanks for your contribution in the way of some very positive feedback.

I think what concerns me most about some of the previous comments on this website is that they are written, not to inform but to complain and to punish us because we were unwilling to submit to blackmail. Of course we accept valid criticism and suggestions, as we are a customer focused business and yes, we get things wrong from time to time ! However, we have, in the last 12 months, received a total of 2 written complaints from around 35,000 guests who have stayed with us. I am sure there are many businesses that would be very happy to have such a small % of complaints.

We have our own cleaning staff (actually all the staff are employed by us - no outside companies) and keep our rooms cleaned to the highest standards, so I am glad you concur.

Good to hear you were well looked after by our Reception staff and that breakfast went well. As you say Reception spend most of their time giving tourist information and I think, they do it very well.

Thanks for the tip about onions with your oysters. I will talk to chef. Maybe some tabasco/chilli as well...

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Brussels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was our second stay at the Hotel Leopold and I certainly hope it wont be the last. The hotel is a 15 to 20 minute stroll to the center of Brussels and 5 minutes from the European Parliament, well worth a visit if you have time. The staff are extremely helpful and informative. The room we were allocated was spacious and very comfortable, a little smaller than our last visit but still large enough to have two comfortable chairs, a small table and two dining chairs. In short, you could if you felt foolish enough to do so you could swing a tiger never mind a cat by the tail without worrying about hitting it's head on the wall.

We can also recommend dining in the brassiere. My compliments go to the chef. The beef in Belgium beer was fantastic and at last a chef who can cook a blue steak to perfection.

In short we cannot recommend the Hotel Leopold highly enough.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Martin M

Many thanks for your kind comments about your latest stay with us. It is good to see we looked after you well enough that you wanted to come back ! You need to be careful with those large cats in the room, though.

I shall pass your positive feedback onto the chef and the brasserie waiting staff. The beef stew in beer is certainly one of our best sellers and very typically Belgian.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back next year ( or sooner :) )
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

As a family of four (two grown children) we booked throught railbookers for 2 twin rooms for 3 nights. When we arrived we were early but the hotel staff said they could let us in one of our rooms (the other still being cleaned).
We were told we had an upgrade for both rooms and this turned out to be apartment suites. To be fair the rooms were in need of an upgrade but they were roomy, clean and comfortable (we had only booked twin rooms so this was a real bonus thankyou!). The heating was very efficient and we could adjust it as was needed, there were really big windows so we could also have fresh air if we wanted.
The hotel staff without exception were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was plentiful, we ate quite late and the food did not run out - we were brought coffee and green tea if we asked.
We ate two evening meals in the restaurant and the quality of the food was excellent.
We also had a beer tasting as part of our deal and we were served at the bar with bar nibbles (there was plenty of beer to taste).
Location was fantastic - very close to the parliament buildings and a pleasant walk to the centre.
I feel we had good value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Rie018
Many thanks for taking the time to give your fair and well thought out comments about your stay with us
The 900 rooms are indeed very large and comfortable apartment style rooms and yes they are due for a coat of paint during the coming months, so I am glad you enjoyed the space.
We find it very client friendly that you can adjust your own heating and ventilation, which seems to be very rare in hotels these days.
It is good to see we fed you well at breakfast and in the evening, I will pass on your positive feedback to chef and the restaurant team.
We look forward to providing you with another value for money stay soon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

A family of four with a teenage boy and girl, we booked three nights at the end of October. Sadly it was one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in. The rooms were ridiculously small and the attitude of management would have done Basil proud. Read the hotels responses to criticism on this site.

We arrived half an hour after our rooms were due to be available but were told the rooms were not ready and had to hang around a rather small lobby for half an hour. Having then been given our rooms we were immediately disappointed.

The rooms were very tired we knew the hotel was undergoing renovation so we were unlucky to have rooms not yet done up. The room opposite us was being painted and our rooms had a very strong smell of paint.

However, the real disappointment was the size of the rooms. They were really single rooms which had had two beds squeezed in, presumably to maximise revenue. There were two small chairs in the room by the window but the room was so tight that you could only sit in the chairs by stretching your legs on the nearest bed.

The real issue though was a complete lack of storage space for our belongings. There was not a single drawer in the room for any clothes etc and the wardrobe had hanging space and one free shelf, the rest of the shelves were occupied by spare bedding, the minibar and room safe. Even the hanging space was part occupied by a fold out suitcase rack which had to be stored in the wardrobe as there was nowhere in the room to put it. The only space to open your case was on the bed.

Not only was there no room to swing the proverbial cat, one person had to leave the room to squeeze the cat in!

I immediately went down to reception to ask if they had any rooms which were more spacious. The young lady on reception was very polite but apologised that the hotel was full that night and asked me to talk to her tomorrow.

The following day after breakfast I went to speak to the same lady but she had no recollection of our conversation and didn't seem interested. She started looking on the system but then turned to an older lady behind her and handed us over to this person. When I explained about the rooms being too small with nowhere to unpack your belongings her attitude was terrible. She said that the room sizes were advertised clearly on the web site and also suggested that we had a cheap deal on the internet and should be grateful for what we got and how dare we complain! Basil would have been proud. She said we would not get a refund as we had a cheap internet deal but that we could move rooms at an extra charge of 284 Euros for two rooms for two nights!

We refused this extortionate cost and when I said I would put my complaint in writing she simply said that they would respond on the website. Definitely the rudest hotel staff I have ever come across. The attitude is very much one of a city with so many visitors they just don't have to bother about customer care.

The rooms were very noisy, you could hear people in adjacent rooms using the toilet and it seems you could hear toilets flush in about a dozen rooms. The cleaning standards were poor, the headboard had not seen a duster for several weeks nor had the top of the minibar.

The heating system did not work in one room and there was a small electric radiator which gave out very little heat. Adequate for a mild October but I would not like to stay there in winter.

On the last evening my son took a shower and there was a knock on the door from one of the staff saying there was water dripping into a room below. There was no evidence of a leak from our tiny shower so the chap presumed it was from the waste pipes.

There were no tea and coffee making facilities in the room, this was because there was barely any space to put them. Four star, really?

Also, the website also claims to be 15 minutes walk from the centre but it was about 25 minutes, nearly 2km away.

No doubt Basil will reply and say I am insane and making up stories because I have nothing better to do than discredit his perfect hotel. He will point out all the positives of his hotel but there was nothing out of the ordinary about the hotel that deserves mention.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear JL_Bham
Thank you for taking the time to write your very humorous comments. You really should send a script into the BBC, I am sure they could make a very funny comedy programme about us
I am not sure what you expected ? Maybe herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically ...
It is very easy to make snide comments about our hotel when you don't get what you want and you have done exactly what you said you would do...write a terrible review on this website if we didn't give you a free upgrade - congratulations !
You booked the cheapest Standard rooms on a non-refundable rate of 71 eur per night for 2 people including a full all you can eat buffet breakfast
You checked in at 1256. Check in time is from 1400
The Reception & Lobby photos are available on our website to check the size - all nicely renovated this year.
The rooms, as you say are a bit tired and are due for renovation this year. We have already redone around 50% of the hotel in the last 12 months.
The rooms you had are both twins and are 18 square metres, which we show on the website. In fact one of the photos is of one of these rooms. The chairs in the rooms are standard size.
There is a wardrobe in the room with sufficient hanging space and shelving for clothes. I hope you did not bring your pet cat with you as we don't allow animals in our rooms...
I am sorry that you did not take us up on our very reasonable offer of a 30 eur upgrade fee to take one of our large renovated suites...I suppose if you go to buy a new car and pay for a small hatchback the garage will give you a large estate car completely free of charge ?
Of course our aim is to be as rude to customers as we can possibly be and we always insult guests - on a daily basis. We can even make appointments at specific times for a good 5 minute argument, if guests wish.
I will make sure our Housekeeping Manager is aware of your comments re dust. We certainly do not want to offer rooms that are not spotlessly clean.
We have 2 heating systems in the rooms and in one of your rooms added an additional 2000w radiator, which we are assured is more than adequate for an 18m2 room.
In Europe in general and Belgium in particular tea and coffee facilities are seldom provided in the rooms. Had you read the room information or asked at Reception, we would have happily provided you with tea and coffee as we did the same weekend to 3 or 4 other guests.
The distance from our hotel to Grand Place is 1.9km (see Google Maps).
I have no wish to call you insane nor to ignore your valid opinions merely to point out that some of the things you say are inaccurate and exaggerated. As you shouted when you were staying with us, if we don't give you what you want without paying for it, you will write a terrible review and as my colleague said to you we would reply...
My advice to all travelers to our hotel and any other, please check the room that you are booking meets your requirements. Our website is clear and detailed with photos of most room types - renovated and un-renovated. If you want a room near to the lift or at the front of the hotel, if you want a room large than 30m2 etc just ask by phone or by email before reserving. That way neither you nor we will be disappointed.
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed at the Leopold as part of a TravelZoo long weekend promotion.
I read reviews on here and as part of the deal was an upgraded room if available I emailed ahead to ask the Hotel if this was possible - they responded straight away and confirmed I would get the upgrade.
My room was in fact a suite and was absolutely fabulous - lovely and clean decorated nicely and lots of room.
The staff couldn't do enough to help - Louise and Alexandra were delightful.
I ate in the restaurant on the Friday evening and it was very very busy but still the service was fast and efficient. The food was delicious and good value for money considering the standard - I would highly recommend the trio of chocolate mooses!

The breakfast buffet in the Orangerie had plenty of choice and is in a lovely setting - again service was prompt and attentive.

The Hotel is ideally situated for the EU parliament and is within easy reach of all parts of Brussels with good Metro and Bus links.

I really enjoyed my stay and would recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: email before hand to see what is available
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear traveller-picky
Great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we got most things right during your visit.
Very sensible of you to email ahead to check what was available and what we could offer in the way of rooms.
I will pass on your comments to all the staff. The really do their best to make our guests stays special.
We look forward to welcoming you back to your home from home in Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went for a long weekend to Brussels we wished for a decent hotel with a good location . The Leopold had this it was easy to get transport but also easy to get to the centre by walking. The hotel is lovely the rooms were large for a city hotel and had everything you needed including tea and coffee facilities ( you need to ask for them).The buffet breakfast was great a wide selection which means something to eat for everybody. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This helped us have a great weekend in Brussels

• Stayed October 2013
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear cansell17
Many thanks for your kind words about your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed a relaxing break and were well looked after.
We look forward to your next visit at your home from home in Brussels
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Not sure I understand how this hotel is classed as four stars. I was a little disappointed. The room we were given was like a small studio apartment, but badly in need of a lick of paint. The chair cover was decidedly grubby. In the bathroom, the washbasin was cracked and the toilet bowl needed some serious cleaning. We had to ask for more hangers for our clothes - only 3 were provided, for 2 people staying 3 nights. And one pair of useless paper slippers. And one tea bag and one carton of milk. The socket where the kettle should be plugged into did not work. At breakfast, we had a jug of milk that was sour and curdled the coffee. This hotel hasn't even got the basics right. I will not return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leopold39, Manager at Hotel Leopold Brussels, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Wombat 2013
YES WE REALLY ARE A 4* HOTEL AS ACCREDITED BY FLANDERS TOURISM. You can ask them for the 8 page list of criteria we have to fulfill...
I agree with you - your room needs a lick of paint (scheduled for this month) and I am very sorry if your milk was curdled at breakfast. We serve individual pots on the table each morning from freshly opened milk (for the tea and coffee), so I am not sure how this happened but have asked the F&B manager to make extra sure all is fresh in the future

As to your other comments you seemed to have forgotten to mention :
You paid 159gbp for 3 nights, Eurostar, 3 beers tasting, full buffet breakfast and all taxes
The room was a suite of 34 sq metres (average 4* size in the city is sround 16sq m)
You had a new bed and mattress
The chair you called grubby is a brushed material
You had a 42" flatscreen TV with 50 channels including BBC
The breakfast consist of 40 fresh items
You had a walk in wardrobe with 6 hangars (not 3)
You had free tea and coffee facilities (with information clearly saying if you want more just ask at Reception)
So I suppose you just forgot to mention the positives...

In answer to your other specific criticisms - the electric socket works fine (I have just verified it myself) - the sink has a hairline crack in the porcelein (it took me three looks to actually see it) and we will replace the sink as soon as possible - the toilet has had 10 years of hard water going through it due to a lack of a water softener by the previous management and therefore shows some calcification - it is also due for replacement.

As I have said before we are a hotel which is here to try to please and serve our guests. If you are missing something please ask at Reception rather than whinging on websites after the event. That way you get to enjoy your break !!

By the way I see you posted a review of the Travelodge at Euston and gave it a higher rating than us, yet you paid between 90-125gbp ofr 1 night without breakfast.

Been to Hotel Leopold Brussels? Share your experiences!