“Nice hotel but a little over priced in areas” 3 of 5 stars

Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Louise 91-93, Ixelles, Brussels 1050, Belgium   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Ixelles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel but a little over priced in areas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice hotel in a fairly central location. We got a good deal (€66 a night) but would not of been happy had we of paid more. The bar was very expensive and breakfast cost €27 each! Needless to say we are not that stupid and opted for a breakfast 2 minutes away for €5 each. €15 a night parking is available in the underground car park next door which is secure and useful. Comfortable bed and nice big bathroom and clean rooms. Maybe in need of a little updating of decor but was OK for an overnight stop en-route to Paris

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ChristineDelord, Personal Assistant to the Area Director BeNeLux of Thon Hotels at Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Sir,
We would like to thank you most sincerely for taking the time to put a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay at the Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but have taken careful note of your remark regarding the price of the breakfast. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused but, even if you paid a very low rate for the room, you were in a 4 star hotel and I can assure you that the breakfast price is nearly the same in all 4 star hotels in Brussels.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,
Personal Assistant to the Area Director BeNeLux of Thon Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Trondheim, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My colleagues chose this hotel for me, but I was not dissappointed. The business room was really spaceous and all amenities I needed was there. The bed was very good. The aircondition was a bit noisy in my room. We were offered breakfast for €13 and that was very good. The staff was very polite, but pherhaps a bit too stiff for me to feel welcome. I think value for money was good, and I would recommend this hotel to other business travellers in this part of Brussels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment on Trip Advisor following your last stay at the Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and can assure you that your positive comments are greatly appreciated.
However, we have taken careful note of your remark regarding the attitude of the staff who was too stiff. Please accept our most sincere apologies and be asssured that action will be taken where appropriate in avoid to avoid such kind of problem.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

A great value for money in one of the most expensive cities in Europe. The location and the breakfast are both excellent. Rooms are very spacious, clean and with all amenities (women will enjoy yves rocher bathing samples)!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam,
We would like to thank you most sincerely for putting a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay at the Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always a pleasure for us to receive such positive comments from our guests.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, we remain,
Moscow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The first thing that suprised me much was elevator. You should put your card into the button panel to make elevator go. It's not convenient!!! I had luggage in my hands and I was tired. So for a minute I thought that I'm going mad before I read an instruction on the wall. Successfully I reached my room and stepped into a refregerator. Sorry, into the room where was as cold as in refregerator. I tryed to put the room's temperature to it's maximum but failed. The room has strange windows which can't be opened but they always are not closed enough to make you not to feel frost outside. Fortunately in the street in January was 10 degrees above zero but what would have happened if there was colder? Room was pretty nice and clean. TV had a huge number of channels of different countries of the world. In the bathroom I found a bath salt and used it quickly. I needed a good steam bath to warm up. You can have only 1 hour of free Wi-Fi in your room, then the charge is high. What else? Good location, friendly staff, tasty breakfast, soft bed. May be in warm season my impression of the hotel could be better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Lovely big room with luxury appointments, but only two small single beds i/o a double - but that seems par for the course in Europe so we didn't/won't complain! Free internet and wifi in lobby, the best breakfast we had in Europe: hot/cold English and continental - but prepay or it'll cost you e25!. Get there by metro towards Simonis, three stops to Station Louise then walk down Ave Louise, past roundabout (Place Stephanie) 150 metres then hotel on right. Nearby Grand Place is a "happening" area including Italian and Greek communities. Absolutely recommend the Green Witch Tavern on a corner near the palace - lovely, friendly hostess gave us free beer when we helped pick up the tables and chairs that had been blown away by a sudden wind-gust! (beware Belgian Gimbergen beer - 6.7%!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here in dec 2012 for four days - we arrived very late at night to be greeted with a room that had not been cleaned, lipstick on the cups, beds not properly been made etc, complained to the reception who apologised profusely and moved us to another room whch had also not been cleaned, finally got a room much smaller than the two we where offered but it was clean and comfortable and quiet. After this the cleaner took it upon herself to remove our bedspread and stuff it in the bedside table for some reason and there it remained for the 4 days we where there! The room we where given also had a terrible draft under the windows and we had to have the heating on full the whole time we where there. freezing!

The location of the hotel is in the more affluent area to Brussels and has plenty of restaurants and shopping but a good 15 minute walk past the antique shops into the old square - the trams run from right outside this hotel so if your not a walker my suggestion is a tram as the cabs here are cheeky and charge you what they like as we found out! however there are cabs outside the hotel all day and night should you need one.

Bar prices here can be a bit steep and if you plan on eating here please be aware the bar man tends to be alone and runs the bar and the restaurant part so you could be left sitting about for a while waiting to be served a drink, as we where on numerous occassions. they also use part of the bar as a restaurant aswell so if the 5 tables for dinner have gone you've no chance of eating in the bar unless you only require a snack. I personally found this terrible as the hotel has a huge restaurant and they dont open it in the evening for hotel patrons! hotel patrons where turned away for dinner as there was no room for them to have dinner - shocking!!.. we witnessed people waiting 50 minutes for a starter in the bar and 45 minutes for their mains after that needless to say we went out to eat every night as we didnt feel like waiting an hour for food, having said that the barmen try their best to keep both parts ticking over and they really do earn there wages thats for sure and hats off to the older gentleman barman he was lovely and tried to make us feel comfortable.

Apart from that - lovely hotel, pleasant receptionist (only one at a any one time), good location - great base to explore Brussels

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are nice and quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristineDelord, Personal Assistant to the Area Director BeNeLux of Thon Hotels at Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay at the Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered at check-in and in the bar and be assured that we will inquire to know why all these issues happened. Therefore, we will be able to take the appropriate actions so that these kinds of problems do not occur anymore in the future.
We do hope that you will give us another chance to prove you that the hotel is up to its four star standards and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Weston Fl.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I arrived with my wife and 2 daughters close to midnight, last week of December 2012; the reservation for 2 rooms was paid already two months in advance. Additionally the hotel charged from my debit card $70 a week before mi trip with no reason.

We were tired and the guy from the front desk said "we did not charged your credit card" and he means nothing at all, not even my original reservation which was absurd I had a printed copy as proof of payment. Any way he was a little rude and didn't listen, Just because I book the hotel through Priceline. (for that particular Hotel the have special agreement and they charge directly to you)

At the end I received my rooms, one of them perfect, no odors, clean, spacious, nice decoration; the second room was smoking room and I hate that smell; I did try calling the front desk and no body answered the phone.

Next day a nice lady said they investigate the whole thing and they found my payments and about the $70 was for incidentals, usually hotels run your credit card at arrival, but this one take it from your bank in advance, weird policy.

Lobby was nice, they have a desk with a computer and printer, hotel is well located. Brussels is a great and beautiful city.

I won't come back to this hotel. It is very shame that people that live from tourism industry don't be nice to the tourist who is the source of their income.

Llegue al hotel casi a media noche, con mi esposa y 2 hijas, 22 y 18 anios, esto fue la ultima semana de diciembre 2012. Habia pagado mi estadia con dos meses de anticipacion y hacia una semana el hotel habia cargado $70 de mi debit card sin alguna razon.

Estabamos muy cansados y cuando explique la situacion al hombre de la recepcion, el dijo "nosotros no cargamos ninguna tarjeta suya" aun cuando yo tenia la prueba impresa del cargo, el simplemente no quiso escuchar, ademas dijo que ni siquiera estaba paga la habitacion.... Creo que esto fue por que usamos priceline, que en este caso este hotel carga directamente al cliente. (puede revisar la politica y verificar esto)

Al final, recibi las habitaciones, una de ellas muy buena, sin olores, espaciosa, bien decorada, la otra con un olor a cigarrillo tremendo, intente llamar a la recepcion para que me cambiaran de habitacion pero nunca nadie respondio, y el cansancio nos vencio y finalmente terminamos durmiendo alli mismo.

A la manana siguiente una dama amable, verifico que los pagos se habian hecho tal como yo pensaba.

Acerca de la localizacion creo que esta bien ubicado, Bruselas es una cuidad muy linda.

El Lobbie es espacioso, tienen un computador al servicio del huesped con impresora. Las areas comunes son elegantes y modernas. pero sinceramente a este hotel no regreso. Es raro pensar que las personas que viven del turismo traten mal al turista. Esto no lo entiendo.!

Room Tip: If you have any other option, consider it first. Bring copies as proof of payment. If you don't...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ChristineDelord, Personal Assistant to the Area Director BeNeLux of Thon Hotels at Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for taking the time to put a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your last stay at the Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie.
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused and be assured that action will be taken where appropriate in order to avoid such issues in the future. If you wish you can send me (christine.delord@thonhotels.be) your email address so that I can investigate and come back to you.
In the meantime, I do hope that you will give us another chance to prove you that the hotel is up to its four star standards.
Looking forward to hearing from you, I remain,
Personal Assistant to the Area Director BeNeLux of Thon Hotels

Been to Thon Hotel Bristol Stephanie? Share your experiences!