“Best surprise of our trip” 5 of 5 stars

Free parking
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Colmberg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Best surprise of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My family spent only one night in Hotel Colmberg and wished we had stayed more. It would of made a great base to visit other places (only 15 minutes from Rothenburg). We booked standard traditional rooms and they were great. Although the rooms were basic the charms of the castle far outweighed the simpleness of the rooms.
Staying in December there was only a few other guest. So my son had the run of the vast castle with its gorgeous sitting rooms, knights hall, chapel and restaurant.
I would highly recommend this accommodation. Value for money and the breakfast ladies were lovely.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bayerisch Eisenstein, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have stayed here before and it is still good. The receptionist was brusque and unfriendly and lots of stairs to the 3rd floor unmodernised room. But the restaurant had great atmosphere and good food and the breakfast choice was outstanding! And a real castle!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Where to start?! This stay was a surprise for my husband - I booked this out a couple of weeks and actually managed to keep it a secret, small miracle for me! After we departed from Rothenberg, we took the Romantic Road towards Colmberg, but he had no idea where we were headed, he had to take driving directions from our navigation system (we refer to her as Victoria, with a British accent). Thankfully it was only 17 kms away. It was foggy and raining and visitability wasn't great, but as we were approaching Colmberg, my husband spotted the castle up on the hillside and jokingly asked if that was where we were headed and I responded only if Victoria tells you go to there with a wink! About 500 meters away from the turn, did she give him the warning to turn left. His mouth fell open in shock - it was a priceless moment. As we headed up hill, the smile across his face grew and grew, like a child on Christmas morning. From a distance, the place looked grand and it only got better the closer we got. At first, my husband wanted to park outside the wall, but after reading other reviews about this place, I knew that we could drive up closer and not have to walk that far. We actually drove all the way to the entrance, about ten steps from our car to the main entrance. (Later, I found out that during the summer this area is the bier garden area and it wouldn't have been possible, then you would have to park right outside the gate.) As we entered, we were happily surprised at the lobby area - the fireplace was already roaring as a family was sitting at the table next to it enjoying drinks. We looked up the stairs to our left and in the Knight's room, you could hear the noises of a busy restaurant, and several animals stuff and mounted on the walls. Straight ahead, another restaurant area, but before that, there was a huge stuff bear and a model T in the corner. To our right was the reception area, where we were warmly greeted by several people of the staff. Though I spoke German, I quickly found out that most of the staff spoke English as well. I gave them our name and told them that we had reservations for a hotel room (as they were also taking people to tables for their dinner reservations too). She immediately gave us our key and instructions on how to get to our room (on the third floor). It was quite easy to find with signs pointing which floor a certain number of rooms (don't waste your time looking for an elevator here, the castle didn't come with one). It was then that I noticed that the stairs looked old and were not completely straight as well as the hallways - really cool and if gave you the feeling of stepping back in time. We were in room 23, double room. As we opened the door, my husband's infectious grin was now on my face. I loved the half timbered walls, beams from the ceiling, and a cozy room. We loved the view from the room too, we could see down to the courtyard and the valley below. The bathroom was modern with enough towels for the two of us. Looking at the bed, I saw a small package of gummi bears on each pillow - one of my favorite snacks! The room was warm as the heater was already on. I quickly unpacked, as my husband felt that the key to the room was also the key to the castle and we had to go out and explore before our dinner reservations. Short of barging into people's rooms, we went from the top to the bottom. Lots of old funiture (with some really 'unique' pieces), to various type of animals and birds that are stuff and mounted through out the castle. I saw several rifles, swords, shields, and other hunting tools also displayed through out. It is what we picture when going to a castle (much different than a palace). We really loved the chapel too, very nice. I could imagine a small romantic and intimate wedding taking place there. After satisfy my husband's curiousity, we then had to satisfy our hunger - I did make dinner reservations for that night too, and I'm glad I did, as they looked pretty busy. We had choices of a few tables and took one in the center area and even though it was cold outside, the restaurant was warm, no need for a sweater. (I have always thought that castles were cold and drafty - not this one!) Our waitress, dressed in a beautiful dirndl took our order (both in German and English). Since we are coming up on the holidays, my husband ordered one of the Christmas beers - it came dressed in a Santa's hat! Too cute!! Our meals arrived quickly, I had a tasty steak with garlic butter, seasoned green beans and fried potatoes and my husband had a pork tenderloin with mushrooms, cheese baked on top and waffle potatoes. Our tummies were full and our tastebuds - satisfied. We walked around outside after dinner, as the rain had stopped and just couldn't believe how lucky were we to be able to stay at such a wonderful place?! After retiring to our room, we turned our TV on low (we had about 8 or 9 channels, one of them being English - CNN), but no sport scores, so my husband went on our iPad, it was slow to boot, but he had no problems getting the information he was looking for as well as some history on the castle. The only time we heard any noise was a lady next door who was on her cell phone (almost yelling to someone to wish their daughter a happy birthday). Shortly after that all was quiet and I fell asleep almost immediately. The feather blankets and pillows are extremely soft, sort of like laying on a cloud. I personally prefer a more firm pillow, but still managed to sleep extremely well that night. The next morning, we woke up to a thick layer of fog, which gave us the feeling of being closed in and just a touch of mystery. I jumped into the shower - it was a hot shower very quickly - much faster than mine at home. My only complaint was the shower nozzle didn't stay up and kept sliding down the pole, so I had to hold it over my head to wash off the shampoo, no big deal and my husband didn't even mention it. We wanted to get downstairs early (breakfast started at 7 am), so that we could pictures of the place without anyone else in them. We headed straight to the Knight's room - wow! It hold a lot of people but we loved how it was decorated. After taking pictures, we headed to breakfast. We were greeted by another pleasant waitress who seated us in the wintergarden area (glass enclosed room) with a wonderful view of the valley below (opposite side of the castle compared to our room). The breakfast buffet was large with a great variety of cold cuts, cheeses, fruits, yoghurts, cereals, juices, etc. We were asked if we wanted boiled eggs - of course, as well as coffee and hot chocolate. Getting breakfast early meant we had the place with only one other couple until we headed back to our room. I did however wish that we were staying a while longer, the place is beatiful, rich in history and loads of charm. I'm hoping we will be able to stay with family members who are coming over next summer, they would be so impressed. My husband was so happy with his surprised, one of his best weekend yet! We hope to return here in the future.

Room Tip: Since there is no smoking in the rooms, you have to go outside and the area that people smoke is bel...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Germany. We were ready for a two-night rest after driving around southwest Germany. Only 15 minutes from Rothenburg am Tauber. An experience we will never forget. The restaurant is also excellent. Great breakfast and great service. Now we can say we stayed in a 1000-year old castle.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Burgher Room with a jacuzzi. We figured if you are going to stay in a castle why no...
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was a must stay for us. Geographically mid way, we were passing through from Rothenberg to Ansbach to catch a train. We made the reservation online the night before and grabbed the last room. First visual impression was that some of the castle, especially the tower, looked original, and that the renovations as a whole did not detract from the look of an authentic medieval masterpiece. Hospitality at this incredible place was half and half. A little icey at the front desk on check-in, and same with some of the wait staff at dinner. Helpful, but curt when compared with their counterparts. The room itself was bigger than we expected, clean, comfortable bed, nice sized bathroom. We wished our kids had been with us as they would have appreciated the suits of armor, the great hall, the chapel and the various types of game hanging from the walls, some of which we enjoyed for dinner. We had an excellent dinner in front of a gigantic roaring fire, shared an decent bottle of wine. Early autumn appears to be a great time to visit. Deer and boar are locally raised. Lots of nice walks through the countryside and a golf course which we wanted to play but did not have the time this trip. Definitely a highlight on the romantic road. We would come back!

Room Tip: we got the last room (top floor room 34 was quiet) medium sized, great view over the golf course.
Westchester County, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

If I were rating this hotel/castle for its ambience, it would surely get an "excellent". When you walk in (at least in cooler weather), there is a roaring fire going. The whole place just says "authentic". The prices are quite reasonable, and the restaurant (separate review) is excellent.

There were a few issues, some mentioned in other reviews, that however detract from an otherwise "execllent" review.

We stayed in a room on the third floor (the Kemenante room). My wife is always insistent about finding the fire escape in a hotel, so just before we went to bed, we followed the map on the inside of the room door. The door to the fire escape was just down the hall from us, and IT WAS LOCKED! There is a glass-covered box next to the door, much like I've seen in the US covering fire alarm levers. Inside the box was not a fire alarm lever, but a key, presumably to open the locked door to the fire escape! So I guess what you are supposed to do is break the glass (how? there was no hammer or other tool to do this), remove the key, unlock the door, and exit. Try doing this in a dimly lit (or no light of the power fails), smoke-filled hallway when you are anviously trying to escape - and maybe followed by other patrons pushing behind you. This is reminicent of the Coconut Grove fire many years ago where the fire doors were locked. I'm sure this wouldn't be permitted in the US, and I can't believe that it is permitted in Germany. This is a real problem that the management needs to address.

The "third" floor is really five flights of stairs up, and there is no elevator, so getting even wheeled luggage up to these rooms is a real challenge. People should be advised of this when they book a room.

There are animals which surround the castle, and one cow thought it appropriate to moo all night long under our window. Fortunately, it was cool enough in the room to close the one window and keep her mooing to a minimum.

If the fire escape issue were remidied, I would rate this hotel good or excellent, but I can't see it as an more than "average" given the issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
umbracu, Inhaber at Hotel Burg Colmberg, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
I am very sorry that you have not asked personally by me. I would you explain our escape and rescue routes.

You scare with these false facts unnecessarily other guests!

Our castle hotel features the latest technology for smoke detection. The system is checked annually by a specialized company (Bosch).

Each hotel room has smoke and fire detectors, and audible alarms! Each room has a plan for the evacuation, with all emergency phone numbers. There is an additional emergency lighting in the corridors. This is running on battery. In case of a power failure so that the escape routes shown and illuminate.

In the corridors there are panic buttons, these can also be operated manually by guests in case of fire. The box with the glass covering include the key for the exit doors. You do not need a hammer or similar tool to open. The glass can be easily pushed by hand. It's special glass, which caused no injuries!

Please ask at the next night in the hotel, only the staff before writing false facts on the internet.

PS: The cow that you hear at night is not a cow. It's a red deer.
PSS: I live also in the 3rd Floor of the castle, so you can be sure that everything is OK.
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed in a Castle that had been converted into a hotel with approximately 40 rooms; it was truly a unique experience. The room was very spacious, clean and with a great view of the village below and the surrounding countryside. We had a canopy bed and it was very comfortable. The staff were very pleasant and the food was excellent. The price was quite reasonable at 109 euros, we could have stayed in a cheaper room, but we were quite happy with our choice. We stayed there two nites as it provided a great base from which to visit the surrounding villages.

Even though it is a real castle it has totally modern bathroom in each room.

It is a bit of the beaten track so you need a car to get there.

We would recommend it to anyone wanting a different, but pleasant experience.

Room Tip: I would't think there are any bad rooms as it is on the top of a hill with a view of the village...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Burg Colmberg? Share your experiences!