“Fantastic Family Getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Marcoola

You added Ramada Marcoola to your Saves list
Ramada Marcoola
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   923 David Low Way, Marcoola, Queensland 4564, Australia (Formerly Surfair on Marcoola Beach)   |
Special Offer
10% off
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Marcoola
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Family Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We would normally go to Fiji for our annual Holiday but this year we thought we'd holiday closer to home as we have an 18 month old and a 6 year old and we didn't want a long flight. We were not disappointed. The Surfair is pretty much right on a spectacular stretch of beach which has surf lifeguards so young and old can enjoy the surf. Better still the beach is fairly gradual so it was perfect for our toddler. And if the kids don't fancy the waves there's a superb swimming pool to keep them occupied all day...

We booked a three bedroom apartment which had fantastic views of the beach and all mod cons. It's so much easier booking an apartment rather than a traditional Hotel room as with kids you can do as much washing and drying as you like. It was a bit of a novelty returning home with suitcases of clean clothes I must say. The Surfair is also within easy driving distance of Coles and you get a complimentary parking space with the apartment - actually with a threebedroom you get 2 - so it makes a family holiday even more affordable.

We also went to the PGA at the Hyatt Coolum which is just up the road so for golfers this place is also a must.

Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this property for families or couples - nothing is too much trouble and the location to the beach, restaurants and activities can't be beaten. By the way the coffee shop across the road has the best coffee I've tasted in years.....

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed at Marcoola on Saturday night so we didnt have to drive up in the morning.
The room was a Delux room and it cost $140 a night. Two big beds and a nice bathroom. There was no balcony but a nice big window that let lots of air in. I love fresh air! The beds were comfortable and the appartment was nice and clean. The only down side was the smell of smoke through the whole floor (maybe from other rooms?). The restaurant was great for a couple of beers and some nuts as 'recovery' from our drive and the breakfast was ok. I have stayed at the hotel just down the road and we were given a special price of $9.95 for the full buffet breakfast but we were charged $19.95 this time - I didnt like that. I was reluctant to stay at this place again after the first experience (in a smaller room with VERY loud neighbours) but I am glad I did.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Mermaid Beach, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

The units are owned by tight people who don't want to pay for repairs but want the returns of having people stay. I stayed for three days and no body cleaned our room, or changed the towels. Toilet paper was not on the holder or in the bathroom had to ask for some. AC unit broken and didn't work in two rooms, scraps on walls iron mark on carpet, had to wait for the room on check in, not enough power sockets in the room hidden behind the bed, lamp wasn't even plugged in .Pool was good, some rooms are better than others. Shop is expensive to buy drinks.

Paint flaking from balcony could see the 1980s colour scheme of orange baby blue and I think yellow
lift is very loud but fast

Tables not cleared that fast, the need to invest in a trolly for the poor lady

staff were nice and friendly

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

This place is a perfect demonstration of the saying 'you get what you pay for'. It is a pretty cheap hotel but it is also pretty awful. Staff have no interest in assisting in anyway, in fact, 2 staff stood and watched while I struggled to lift my bags into the lift. Speaking of the lifts, the lift shafts carry noise from the bar downstairs into the upper rooms. The rooms are quite small and dated. The toilet in our room smelt like it hadn't been cleaned in about a year.

If you can spend a few extra dollars there are far nicer places in the area. I will not stay here again and I will do my best to steer people away from this awful place.

• Stayed November 2011
Bedforshire U.K
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

My friend and I were booked into a 2 bed apartment floor 2 for 5weeks at Surfair in Marcoola. The apt was spacious well equipped and clean. The beds were comfortable, linen and towels changed regularly. Reception and restaurant staff were helpful, polite and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.
The lifts worked and despite facing the road we had a great time. I was surprised to read other peoples negative comments about Surfair.
Give this place a go it is really great and yes if I come back to Australia I would hope to get into the same apartment at Surfair. Thanks to all the staff

Room Tip: Ask to see your room/apt before you sign in. If something isn't to your liking discuss it with t...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We've just visted the Surfairmarcoola Marcoola restaurant (12 Nov 2011) and we can honestly say that the food and the experience was the worst that we've ever encountered. We went there several years ago and it seemed okay as a casual place to eat however things appear to have gone downhill rapidly. The restaurant wasn't crowded but the tables were piled with leftover food and drinks. The poor overworked girl who was clearing the tables was the only person who seemed friendly and welcoming (she should get some sort of Christmas bonus for her ability to appear caring and concerned for the clientele when the remaining staff either ignored or abandoned us). My chosen special of chicken and risotto was sold out and so we both opted for the salmon pasta. Clearly this was a bad choice. For $26.50 I would have expected something better than a plate piled with cheap packet penne with very little sauce and even less salmon. This is the sort of meal that I would be embarrassed to serve my family as a quick after work Monday dinner. We should have asked for our money back but there was no-one to ask! In comparison, Marcoola Surf Club is miles better and cheaper.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
QLD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We did not stay at the hotel, we just stopped in for dinner. We should have known it was not going to be great when the special for the day was a $2 steak with any drink purchase, but we had two hungry kids with us, so thought we would just stay clear from the special and order off the menu.
Never again will we visit this restaurant or stay at this hotel, we were not impressed at all. Even our 4yr old, said Mummy my dinner tastes yukky...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Marcoola? Share your experiences!