“Waste of money.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cedar Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dundurn
Cedar Lodge
You added Cedar Lodge to your Saves list
Box 572, Dundurn, Saskatchewan S0K 1K0, Canada   |
Saskatoon
“Waste of money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I bought a groupon for $75 for a night at the Cedar Lodge. We were after a night of relaxation and serenity overlooking the lake.

The hotel is extremely dated. The room is something you would expect from a $50/night motel room on the side of a highway somewhere. I reminded me a lot of a spare bedroom at your grandparent's house. As another review mentioned, the reason why pictures of the rooms weren't included, became apparent immediately.

It's really too bad, it's a beautiful site and could be a gold mine. However I would never return or suggest this place to anyone until it comes under new management, and receives extensive upgrades. I've stayed in a lot of hotels, mostly in an effort to get somewhere, you honestly could not pay me to stay here again, unless my home in Saskatoon burnt down and somehow I ended up carless in the Dundurn-area.

Not worth the groupon, never mind the full price for a night there!

Room Tip: Avoid this place altogether.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sclaire_97, Manager at Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
We are so sorry that you missed the whole point of Cedar Lodge. As you may make note, we do not advertise our venue as a Sheraton Luxury Hotel, but rather a rustic, charming, lodge-type experience, situated as you say on a beautiful site. We specialize in our fabulous food, hospitality and service for which we have become well known over 15 years. Our customers return to our hotel over and over again, in spite of its dated furnishings. We have many bookings up to 10 years' in advance, so that is a clear indicator from the majority of our customers that Cedar Lodge has a special quality. We are not ashamed of the simplicity of our cabin-like rooms, we acknowledge that they are indeed understated, but they are extremely clean and very peaceful. Since your comments have appeared, we have posted pictures of our rooms on our website since thousands of people have been through our facility over the years with no complaints whatsoever. For your information, we are embarking this year on an extensive renovation program and hopefully all that you imagined we could be may somehow prove to meet your expectations. Once again, our sincere apologies for your disappointment.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My son bought a Groupon for my husband and I to stay at this lodge. He did a website search and he thought it looked ok. Once I received the Groupon I did my own search and was a little curious why there were no pictures of the guest rooms, actually no pictures of the inside of the lodge at all. We arrived at approximately 5:45pm on a Saturday night. We approached an elderly gentleman sitting at a desk down a hallway and assumed this was the front desk. We told him we would like to check in and told him our name, he had to go ask someone which room we were to have. We hear a lady yell from somewhere in the dining area #211, and he yells the same back to reconfirm. My husband and I both have worked in hotels and know staff are not to broadcast room numbers in public. He got us our keys and asked us if we wanted dinner (which for Groupon guests is priced at $18/person for a buffet) we declined but we stated we would like breakfast in the morning (included in the Groupon). He added our names to a list he had started on a pad of paper. He then gave us directions to our room...no guest register sign in required...another oddity. He also asked us if we wanted a fridge in our room for the food we brought with us, we agreed. Our room was located down 2 flights of stairs, through the laundry area and situated right next to the laundry room. We notice the layout to be numerous stairs and hallways. Our room had a bathroom with a toilet and tub/shower (the shower head was very low and the toilet seat was a wooded seat that was almost falling off). 2 double sized beds (included in the Groupon) - rooms with one queen or one king available for an additional cost. 2 old vinyl arm chairs and a vanity with a sink (with a sign that states the tap water is not drinkable) 2 bottles of water, towels, a bar of soap on the back of the toilet and that is it!! The rooms did not have a coffee maker or a TV. Since our schedule was limited we made reservations here on a coldish night so the option to go for a walk near the lake was out. No chance for a fridge we are told by the gentleman (not sure where it would have been put anyway) but we could put our food in the fridge in the Games Room. Games Room - yay...since there was no TV in the room, maybe we could play a board game or cards. We find our way down the halls to the games room...there is a TV...doesn't have reception (stuck on Video mode) and my husband looked in all the cupboards...NO GAMES in the Games Room!!! Totally disappointed in the Cedar Lodge. We left the hotel at 6:15pm and headed home (luckily only 20 minutes away). The hotel could be a gold mine...needs major renovations - the carpets are old, the paint on the walls is chipped and the furniture is very old. I would strongly suggest to think twice about spending $75 on a Groupon for this place and I definitely would never spend full price. Buyer beware. The summer would have been a better time to stay as the lodge in located on Blackstrap Lake and near the beach...I could have probably stuck it out for the night, but during the cold months, there is nothing to do at the lodge. I will not return unless this lodge undergoes renos and installs the modern amenities. Can't comment on the food, as stated above, we left long before breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sclaire_97, Manager at Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Our sincere apologies for your disappointing visit to Cedar Lodge. As our reviews are 98% positive, I was a little shocked but certainly could understand your point of view. Your detailed list of our discretions is challenging to say the least, but we will try nonetheless to address them.

Our reputation is built upon service, hospitality and cuisine so in the spirit of hospitality I would like to speak to some of your issues. I apologize about the gentleman calling out your room number in public. We are very 'laid back' here (very much NOT like more formal hotels, which is usually clearly a part of our charm) and have never had any incidents with difficult interactions with guests and room issues. However, I agree that this 'random' moment of vocalizing your room number (as we certainly do not make a habit of calling out room numbers just for the sake of doing so) must be addressed and I can assure you that is has been. I would venture a guess however, that there was no-one within hearing range of those comments other than our own staff, but again, this was quite inappropriate I agree and will not be happening again.

As I said, we are very casual at Cedar Lodge. We do not have updated hotel data entry which explains the hand written list for breakfast and the 'no guest registry sign in'. A guest registry is an easy fix and one which we can put into play shortly. We are, as stated in our website, rustic but charming, known for being a 'retreat center' where our rooms are quiet, small but very clean, where one has the opportunity to take a breather from the hectic lifestyles we leave behind in the city including 'information overload.' The comment about the toilet seat prompted us to check every guest room toilet seat and found two to be 'slightly' loose which has been addressed.

With respect to the 'water' issue, this has always been the case. The water is 'not for drinking' hence the bottled water provided on the vanity of each room in addition to any quantity of water being made available as needed. City of Saskatoon water is making its way to this side of the lake hopefully in 2013 at which time we will be on that line and that matter can be put to rest after many years of waiting for that to come to pass.

Regarding the 'Games' room ... named by our predecessor because it had a ping pong table in it. We removed the table years ago as the requirements for meeting rooms grew over the years, and so it has since served predominantly as a meeting room, but the name of the room was never changed. Good point and one that has never come up in 15 years. With that in mind, we have now taken some of the board games and cards etc from the Great Room where they have always been located due to the fact that people enjoy lounging in that most beautiful room ... we have now placed several of them in the Games Room for easy access. We have also ordered new games as we thought this was an excellent idea and time to upgrade our selection. I am sorry you didn't take the opportunity to speak to one of our staff as they would have been happy to assist you in locating the games as well as setting up the operation of the TV/Video - we also have a wide selection of videos and dvds available for our customers' viewing.

As noted in my previous comment, renovations are planned for later this year which will include outstanding upgrades in furnishings and decor. Painting has already begun and is taking place in stages and between events. The architectural plans are nothing short of dynamic and will include an entirely new Health and Wellness Center with pool, sauna, jacuzzi to enhance our already in service exercise room, which perhaps you missed or had no interest in using.

You are right, the summers here are amazing and with the improvements including lighted and marked trails through our ravines and walkways and along the lake, an extension to our beach area and increase in our current dock, you won't want to miss the chance to 'get away from it all' and feel like you are at your very own cottage environment while at the same time sitting on our wraparound deck high above Blackstrap Lake, which deck surrounds the Great Room which will continue to inspire and surprise many, especially with its new decor.

The following year will prove to enhance greatly the winter experience at the Lodge which, as you pointed out, can be very daunting at severe minus temperatures.

Sadly, you missed the opportunity to partake of our wonderful meals which is the focal point of our services as noted on our website.

Been to Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!