“Super clean and quiet.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauble Beach
Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina
You added Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina to your Saves list
71 Sauble Falls Road, Sauble Beach, Ontario N0H 2G0, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Sauble Beach
Levis, Canada
“Super clean and quiet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Let's be clear, this is a beachtown motel, not a uber-chic boutique hotel, so the toilet, bath/shower tub are green, there's wood imitation panels on the walls and an old school turn-button tv in the room. That being said, it's the most well-maintained motel I've ever been too. Spotless clean, no weird odor, comfy bed and the location is perfect if you like a quiet night. You're a 5min walk away from the north end on the beach, and a 30min walk from the busy part (where the fireworks and the partyers are...). The motel is waterfront on the Sauble river and have a well-sized terrace for their guest to enjoy. It's next door to the marina rental center where you can rent an array of water fun equipment. As for the price, if you don't mind the waterview, it's the cheapest we could find in Sauble, and maybe 5$ above the competiton for a waterfront room. We had breakfast at their restaurant which offers classic breakfast menu at a very good price. Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and your stay was comfortable and relaxing We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Best regards,
van Gerven family & Staff

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Words almost completely fail me on trying to most accurately describe what a great place the Kit-Wat Hotel really is, so I'll try my best!

The building is located in a prime location with the back of it directly on the Sauble River. The rooms were very clean with nice kitchenettes. Their were nice outdoor tables in front of all first story rooms. You had access to the docks and the two canoes and two kayaks moored there.

I was originally planning on staying just one night, but the kids and i loved the place so much with all its amenities, that it soon became two nights, then three, then five. Only the "long weekend" prevented my from staying longer.

There is so much to do within just a couple of kilometers of this hotel. You can canoe to Sauble Falls. You can canoe to the mouth of the river to watch the sunsets. The north part of Sauble Beach is very close by. Bike rentals are also nearby. Or you can just laze around the hotel. They have a nice restaurant right next door.

And finally, this review would be incomplete without a great thank you and a feeling of deep gratitude for our host, Jackie. She was very friendly and accommodating, despite being very busy gearing up for the long weekend. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer person anywhere along Lake Huron.

She is very fortunate to own such a great establishment, and I promise that you will feel very fortunate for having stayed there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Thank you for the great review! I am so glad you and the kids enjoyed your stay with us and decided to stay with us instead of going camping. I hope the rest of your holiday while in Canada was just as enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again! Jackie van Gerven
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed here with my mom while doing a little Huron lake town road trip in late September.

This is a classic old school laketown motel. Probably built in the 50s or early 60s - back when lots of Americans used to drive up the coast in the summer from Michigan. Despite it's age, the new owners are doing a great job keeping it maintained. Rooms are basic, clean, have tvs, mini fridges, and pretty standard bathrooms. What's great about this place? It's close to the north end of the beach, the quiet end. It was only a couple minutes walk and we were on the beach. Plus, the hotel is right on the river. The rooms have sitting areas outside of them that look out at the river and there are patio tables with umbrellas set up on the grass. We enjoyed a glass of wine while we watched a few others who were staying at the motel catch a massive rainbow trout while fishing off the dock.

The owners live right next door, so in the evening, when I accidentally locked the key in the room, there was a convenient intercom up to the house and they came right down without any issue or complaint and let me back in.

I think some people expect these places to be palaces because they are so expensive in the summer, but what they don't realize is that these lake towns are basically empty during the rest of the year. They have to make enough money to sustain themselves until the next season. My Mom has stayed in this motel a various times and under various management during the past forty years and she says it's looking better now than it has in a long time.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi! Thank you so much for providing an honest review you have no idea how much we appreciate this.
Thanks again!
Jackie van Gerven & Family
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our 3rd year staying at the Kit Wat and I can't say enough about it.....We LOVE it there the Owner Jackie is very accommodating she will go out of her way to make you happy...Her staff is amazing.....We met her husband for the first time this year and he seemed very nice as well.....Our son and their son have become friends over the last 3 years and look forward to seeing each other .....Yes the rooms are dates BUT very CLEAN ....I have NEVER had a problem with cleanliness ......We only have ever eaten breakfast at the restaurant which the food was good....I love that the kids can fish off the dock and Jackie has life jackets available for everyone at no cost ......I loved waking up every morning looking out over the river as we had the rooms with a kitchen......this year we rented 4 rooms 3 with kitchen and one without......I would HIGHLY recommend the Kit Wat to everyone......we looking forward to going back next year...PS all the other complaints on here I wouldn't take in to consideration ...GO check it out for yourself ...Thanks Jackie and Staff for yet another great family vacation

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Hi! It is always a pleasure having you and your family also and the children really enjoy playing with each other. My fella looks forward to seeing his friends back each year. Thank you again and we all look forward to seeing you again soon!
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at the Kit Wat a few weeks into September. The decor is certainly not modern, but it's vintage feel is part of the charm. I kind of think they should embrace "vintage sauble" and really do more with the decor to make it all fit.

Positives:
1) Great Location! The view from our balcony was gorgeous. That's really what you're paying for.
2) Owner was super nice and friendly. I'm a bit socially awkward but she made me and my boyfriend feel very welcome.
3) The restaurant is definitely the best food you'll find in Bruce county. It was a delight to wake up every morning and eat their delicious breakfasts.
4) Free unlimited use of the canoes. We went on long trips that would cost us a fortune in Kitchener.
5) SUPER clean. I'm a bit of a germaphobe which is why I usually avoid motels, but this place keeps the rooms to a 5 star standard of cleanliness.
6) Off season prices were great.

Negatives:
1) The walls are super thin, and while I was expecting that, I wasn't expecting to be woken up at 7 in the morning by the water heater howling like a fire alarm because someone in the other room was taking a shower. I wish they had let guests know how loud the water heater can be so everyone makes an effort to shower at considerate times.
2) The bed was the most uncomfortable thing in the world. I realize different people like different beds, but I'm usually the type of person who can sleep fine on a mattress pad for camping. I certainly was not expecting the "Double Tree Sweet dreams" experience, but I've never had problems sleeping through the night except for the nights I stayed at Kit Wat. It's unfortunate because everything else about our stay was lovely, but this will be the thing that keeps us from coming back and I'm sure it's the same for other visitors. I really think if they invested in some nice beds that are in the mainstream of comfort, it would be really worth it for them financially. You can provide the best vacation experience in the world, but if your guests don't sleep, guests will still leave unhappy.
3) No handsoap in the rooms. We had to go out and buy some at a local store.

Room Tip: Get a river view room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Hi! Mica,
Thank you for noticing our great detail to cleanliness & customer service! We will certainly be looking into that noise that you were talking about and rectifying whatever the cause was. If you would kindly email me at kit-wat@bmts.com or call 519-422-1282 and let me know what room you stayed in I will assure you that the mattress will be replaced when we place our next order and I invite you back for a "complimentary" nights stay to try it out for us.
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Kit-Wat Management & Staff
New Hamburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were 2 couples who enjoyed our stay at the Kit Wat for 2 nights in Aug. What a beautiful location, and knowing it's a popular spot because we've been vacationing in Sauble for many years, we booked well in advance & were pleased with the cleanliness & comfort of our side by side rooms in the building separate from the main motel. The rooms need some up-dating, but the bed was sparkling clean & comfy, & the TV, fridge, & A/C all worked well. Upon check-in, we were pleased as requested, to have the rooms facing the road, in order to accommodate my husband who can't negotiate stairs easily. At night after some good food & drink at the restaurant, we played cards at the tables down by the riverside where it was beautiful & quiet & we had some ducks interested in learning Euchre come by. The lovely riverview and the friendliness of Jackie & her family & her staff, and their excellent service in the restaurant & throughout the motel are what make the Kit Wat worth going back to. We felt well taken care of, and will look forward to future stays.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hi! Katherine, We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Rooms 19 & 20 and look forward to seeing you again.
Thank you for your feedback!
Kit-Wat Management, family & staff.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The rooms are very clean and have older furnishings which are well kept. Most of the rooms face the river; the view is amazing, the first night I saw a beautiful sunset - right from the balcony of my room. I had very memorable trips kayaking the river upto the Sauble Falls and down to Lake Huron. I stayed here for 5 days (just after Labour Day), the restaurant was closed during the week and open on Saturday and Sunday - I had two tasty breakfasts with very good service. The room rate is very competitive - definitely good value. It is very well run establishment with friendly staff that go out of their way to assist.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so pleased that there are people that actually appreciate all of the effort our staff and management put forth in providing a clean friendly resort. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Best regards,
Kit-Wat Management and staff.

Been to Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina? Share your experiences!