“Not for the faint of heart” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauble Beach
Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina
You added Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina to your Saves list
71 Sauble Falls Road, Sauble Beach, Ontario N0H 2G0, Canada   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Sauble Beach
Oshawa, Canada
“Not for the faint of heart”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Booked a room for my mother for 3 nights at the motel expecting at least 3 stars for the $145/night price tag. Disappointed with the whole experience from mold and dirt in window air conditioner screen. Then to find mold in and around sink not so appealing. Rooms are dated which is the norm for a summer town, which also is the reason for musty old smell. To the credit of the staff, we did get to change rooms for the second night, but that was also not up to par, with a rusty standup shower stall...hmmmm just signs of neglect. We decided that we would like to check out and not stay a 3rd night. When we finally had the chance to speak to the owner/manager for a partial refund on the 3rd night, we were totally disgusted in his abrupt and customer service attitude. Goes along with the shape of the motel. He is here just to make money and not a reputable business. Too bad, good location and staff!

Room Tip: As a trusted reviewer, I would never suggest an accommodation/business where the owner/manager has i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Our regular customers will contest to the fact that we have been making drastic improvements to our business and take great pride in providing our guests with a clean and comfortable place to enjoy their holiday. Our rooms are definitely not mouldy or musty. (They are old though the motel was built in the 60's) We have a fantastic group of cleaning staff! Our customers do come first and we go out of our way to please, unfortunately we are not able to please everyone all of the time especially when they insist on a waterfront room and we cannot offer them one because they are fully booked. The author's mother called on July 17th and booked a room for August 5th -8th, 3 nights. She specifically asked for a waterfront room, however because we are the only waterfront Marina motel & restaurant in Sauble Beach our rooms book up very quickly during peak season. I explained in great detail that the room did not face the water and that we had a 72 hour cancellation policy. She agreed to the terms and booked our room for $135.00/night+tax. She checked in at 5:45 pm on August 5th and once again asked for a waterfront room, we informed her that we still did not have one available as the motel was fully booked. Tuesday August 6th, at 8:00 pm. after occupying the room for 24 hours she came to the office once again and decided that the room was no good for her and she asked for a refund. My colleague offered her another room, she looked it over thoroughly and accepted it. (This room did not face the water either) August 7th. The following morning she asked for another refund on the remaining nights stay and was told once again about the 72 hour cancellation policy and offered yet another room (once again not facing the water) She then handed in her key and chose not to stay. At 7:30 pm on August 7th she came to our door with her son whom we had never seen or met to this point and he proceeded to yell at my husband! In order to avoid any further confrontation with this seemingly irrational and ignorant person my husband boldly explained the cancellation policy to them once again and walked away to avoid any further confrontation.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I contacted the motel in July to book rooms for Aug. 1 and 2. Initially, I was given a quote by email of $145 per night. When I called to confirm, I was told the price for Aug 2 was going to be $185 because it was the Friday of the long weekend. They would not stand by their initial quote so I cancelled the reservation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Hi! Our rates are very competitive and in par with our surrounding seasonal tourist area. August 1st would have been $145.00/night as stated, however if you wanted the Friday night which was part of the civic long weekend then the rate is $185.00/night+tax. and we do instill a 3 night min. booking on all long weekends. You may stay 1 or 2 nights any time mid week (Sunday - Thursday) or off season ($75.00/night+tax) During peak season it is a 2 night min. on weekends during July & August and 3 nights for long weekends. Our rates are very competitive. We do not at any time take reservations via email and always confirm all reservations and quotes by either calling our customers or having them call us. We always go over the rate details, dates and cancellation policies precisely with each customer over the phone at the time of booking so here are no misconceptions. We regret that that was not clear for you. Perhaps an inland motel would suit your needs better as their prices are generally a bit less expensive during peak season as they are further from the beach and not waterfront. We do offer reduced budget friendly rates off season.
Jacqueline Van Gerven
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Just returned from 4 day trip to the Sauble Beach area and stayed at the Kit Wat hotel. Our room was not the greatest (we had to settle for a room overlooking the parking lot), which made the location noisy. The rooms are very dated, but clean and efficient. Some people complain about the price, but I don't think staying anywhere in the Sauble area is inexpensive, they all seem to be priced at the same rates since there is not alot of competition and it's a popular place. The location on the river is terrific, the location in general is great. I loved the 5 minute walk to beach and the store across the street. My partner has a small sailing boat that he docked there and loved the convenience of it and the staff at the hotel were very accommodating to his specific requests, as it's a bit unique. If you have a boat, this is a great place to stay. Next time, I would want to get a room on the river side for sure. I'm pretty sure we would come back to the hotel as we enjoyed our stay and loved the convenience of everything. Enjoy this happy little hotel! (P.S - it's a very family oriented place - lots of kids - which may be either enticing to you or a warning!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your 4 day retreat with us. Please call us well in advance next time and we will be able to accommodate you in one of our waterfront rooms. We also have full efficiency units if you are wishing to do some of your own cooking. We were glad to be able to accommodate your sail boat and look forward to seeing you in the future.
Kit-Wat Management & staff
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have a cottage in Sauble, and we are always trying to find great little gems for restaurants to try and the Kit Wat Motel Restaurant is one of those places. It is obscure and off the beaten path, but has a beautiful view of the water and the boats travelling by. We have been for lunch about a half dozen times, and are never disappointed. It is home cooking at its best. I had the chicken wings, they are delicious (there sauce could be better) but the wings are large, crispy and juicy! You MUST have the deep fried ice cream for dessert, or skip lunch and go right to dessert - the best I have had. Huge portion, great for sharing!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you! We look forward to seeing you again, and please let us know what sauce you prefer and we will see what we can do.
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a family cottage in Sauble Beach on the Sauble River for over 50 years - Sauble is homey and comfortable. The Kit Wat has the most important thing - location, location. The rooms are very dated and you can hear through the walls - the bathroom was one of the worst I have been in (and we have travelled with my son's basketball team!). We visited in September of 2012. Perfect time of year the weather is still good and the prices are lower as it is off season.
We did not stay in the room much - we were there to re-live old memories. The beach, the Corners, the Falls, the bakery that was called Nancy's (one street up and parallel to the beach)and all the nuances that are Sauble. The Kit Wat is the perfect starting point to explore and not feel too closed in. Our room was waterfront and first floor - perfect for a different view of the river than I am used to.

Room Tip: Our son had stayed waterfront second floor and mentioned the balcony was crowded - best is waterfron...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
We are happy that you took advantage of our fantastic off season rates and that you enjoyed our spacious semi private waterfront deck area from your ground floor room. It sounds like you were given our adjoining room as it does have a much smaller bathroom area than most to accommodate for the full kitchen and access door to the room next door. "Perfect for larger families or couples wishing to have 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms but still being able to go from room to room and share cooking facilities and having a privacy door to close and lock to allow for privacy at night. Might I suggest one of our single units next visit as they will be much quieter. We look forward to your next visit an truly appreciate feedback received so we can continue to provide our customers with great service and an enjoyable stay with us.
Best regards,
Kit-Wat Management and staff.
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The Kit Wat is a family friendly place. I stayed here with my 2 year old, 2 month old and husband. All the previous posts comment on the place being out dated, yes it is, but if your coming to Sauble I think you will be more at the beach than in your room so it shouldn't bother your. The food was okay, but then again I did not come to Sauble to eat, I came to relax and unwind; so if your a foodie you will be disappointed. Infact, the food all over Sauble isn't five star, it's what you would expect to get at any fair or the CNE. The staff is very friendly, and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. The owner, Jackie, was contacted by my aunt to deliver breakfast and flowers to my room, as I stayed here on my birthday. THANKS!. This place is also very close to the beach, it was great for me. I brought my kids back to the room for naps and then returned to the beach without any hassles. While they slept my husband and I would sit outside on the patio enjoying the marina. So if you want to relax, have young kids, and just need a quite place to go to after a fun day at the beach without driving back home. And they have a mini fridge so you can save bait of money by bringing your own drinks and water and milk for kids. There is a store across the street but it is very expensive. I paid over $3 for a litre of milk. In the GTA I can get a whole bag for that much. But the convenience is still there so if your like me you won't mind paying.

Room Tip: Get a room which faces the marina and is on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ilove2bamom, Owner at Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your birthday getaway! Thank you so much for your review and we are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, as that is after all our ultimate goal. Best wishes to you and yours and we hope to see you again soon!
Kit-Wat Management and staff.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Kit Wit, what can I say? If you are looking for luxury, stay somewhere else. The beds are not that great (bring some pillows), the tv is small (bring your lap top and watch movies on it if you wish. The room is veryyyyy dated, but clean and the bathroom is small, but clean. I LOVED THIS PLACE. I FELT I WENT BACK TO THE 60ies or 70ies (LOL). This was my first visit with some friends and we had a great time. 5 min walk to the beach, hotel overlook the lake (lots of weed in the water), nice friendly staff, such a relaxing atmosphere. I and my family are planning a trip back in a few weeks and we will stay at the Kiw Wat. This may not be a place for everyone, but if you want to get way and your expectation is not that high for accommodation, stay at the Kit Wat and relax. 

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hi! We are happy to hear that you loved staying with us and will be returning. I am also happy to hear that our determination to offer the cleanest establishment possible has not gone un noticed. I am very thankful for my great staff! We do offer extra pillows in each room, they are generally found in the bottom drawers of the large dressers. We have been continually updating and improving our establishment since taking ownership, updated photos of our motel and rooms can be seen on our "new" website that is being launched today. Most of these photos have also been added to Trip Advisor. Those of you who have stayed at the Kit-Wat a few years back will definitely see some huge transformations from what it looked like prior to our ownership. Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts and opinion with us and we look forward to your future return.
Jackie Van Gerven

Been to Kit Wat Motel Restaurant & Marina? Share your experiences!