“disapointed with Mountain Hostel” 2 of 5 stars

Mountain Hostel
Gimmelwald, Switzerland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
santa monica
“disapointed with Mountain Hostel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

I had been looking forward so much to staying here because Gimmelwald is one of the most stunningly beautiful places I have ever been. Unfortunately, the Mountain Hostel was not the place for getting any rest or privacy at all. The dorm was crammed with about 20 beds and there was a communal bathroom for both men and women. The atmosphere is geared for party oriented college students and the noise goes on til the wee hours, so if you want to get a good nights sleep and get out early it is quite frustrating. I was forced to take an Ambien my second night there. I am a 60 year old woman and I felt out of place here.

• Liked — spectacular location
  • Disliked — way too crowded
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
cleveland, ohio, u.s.a.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

The Mountain Hostel is everything people have said in other reviews: great location, friendly atmosphere, fun, etc., etc.

However...if you want to get a good night's sleep, go elsewhere.

We foolishly thought that the posted "Quiet Time" of midnight meant that around midnight things would start to quiet down. Not so. Loud conversations and games went on until 2 or 3 a.m. The next morning we decided to forfeit our $50 and go somewhere else for the night. I was disappointed when I told the hostel owner, Petra, that we were leaving early because of the noise and she didn't seem at all concerned.

In fairness I need to point out that my wife and I are about 60, making us old fogeys among the hostel crowd. On the other hand, we've stayed at hostels throughout the U.S. and Europe and not had this bad of an experience anywhere.

If you want to party, the Mountain Hostel is a great choice. If you hope to get a good night's sleep, good luck.

• Liked — Location, sociable crowd
  • Disliked — Late-night noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mountain Hostel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Mountain Hostel

Address: Gimmelwald, Switzerland
Location: Switzerland > Canton of Bern > Bernese Oberland > Gimmelwald
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Gimmelwald
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo, HostelBookers and HostelWorld so you can book your Mountain Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Mountain Hotel Gimmelwald

If you own or manage Mountain Hostel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.