“Excellent service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Wilderswil B&B and Inns
American in Kaiserslautern GE
“Excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our second stay at the Steinbach. We visited about a year ago as the hotel's restaurant was nearing completion of some renovations. The service was wonderful and I was reminded on each encounter with the two brother owners just how important it was to them that we were enjoying ourselves. The hotel is small with just 14 rooms. On checking in, we were given the Lovers Suite; best bits were the huge round bed and the jacuzzi bath - and the very affordable (by Swiss standards) price. We arrived after 9 Friday evening so decided to eat in the hotel's Steakhouse Restaurant. I had pretty simple expectations as most of the area restaurants are quite simple. What a pleasant surprise. Taittinger by the glass, lobster, scallops, veal, wonderful sauces, a bottle of Barrosa Valley Shiraz and all that for about 160 Franc for two. The food was not only tasty but the presentation was excellent. The waiter (owner) doted over us - again, clear he wanted the evening to be very special for us. It's rare that we'd eat both nights on a weekend visit in the same restaurant but that we did - shrimp tampura, succulent rack of lamb, ribeye steak and lobster - rounded out with a California Zinfandel. The service excellent, the price/value outstanding, rooms are simple but newly renovated and have some of the original building charm mixed with some modern flair. Breakfast was a good spread with eggs, croissants, and all the expected other bits - good coffee too. The owners have a passion for what they're doing and you're sure to enjoy it too. Less than 5 min walk to train station with direct links to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen. We skied the Kleinscheidegg/Jungfrau area - excellent terrain, beautiful scenery and easy access from the hotel. Yes, we'll be here again - and we'll make it a point to visit the restaurant even if we're staying further up the valley.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Visted the Gasthaus Steinbock for the first time and I have to say what a nice little place it is.
Our room overlooked the river giving us a nice view. Room was nice and clean and certainly warm on a cold winters day. Free WiFi was an added bonus and it was also nice to have the BBC on the TV at night.
Breakfast whilst not as good as some of the places in Switzerland have stayed in was still nice, cereals, croissants, fresh fruit etc. Very handy for Wilderswil station being only a 5 minute walk away. We found the staff helpful and friendly and would certainly visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am really dissapointed with the service received. I was charged two times for the same night we spent at the hotel. To make matter worse, I write to the customer service of the place, explaining the situation and they dont answer to my emails. They answered once that they are analyzing my situation, but they never wrote me back.
I dont know if the responsibles are the credit card, or the hotel, but I would like a proper answer to my situation.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were looking for a basic accommodation in Interlaken. Did not find too many places in $100 range. Chose Gasthaus Steinbock with low expectations. Finally it turned out to be a great place. Located next to a river with a very refreshing view.

On arrival the owner upgraded us to the "romantic suite" which truly amazing. My wife didn't even want to leave the room.

It is located far from the city, so it is advisable only if you are driving. There are no restaurants in the vicinity. If you are not driving, you better eat in the onsite restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My parents and I stayed here the other night. We had three rooms overlooking the river, town, and mountains.

Clean, fairly basic, but nice
There is no elevator
Plenty of parking
Close to train station
Friendly and helpful staff

don't miss the church and graveyard next door!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Whilst holidaying in Switzerland,staying at Wengen with my husband and two of our friends, we decided to get off the train at Wildersvil and visit the Steinbock Hotel where I had stayed during a school trip aged 14 years.
We tried the front door only to find it was closed but within minutes the present owner unlocked the door and invited us in and allowed us to purchase a drink each.He was very pleasant and stayed to talk to us telling us he had only been there since February and had renovated the place. My friend then told him how I had stayed there as a school girl. He asked if it looked very different and I said I thought it was much improved. He was really nice and very interested and invited all four of us on a tour of the rooms after we had finished our drinks. The rooms where lovely and we complimented him on his good taste. He has managed to combine the old and the new perfectly.In fact I would have loved to have been staying at the Steinboch.We could not see anything to find fault with. The location is really good,set beside a frothing river and it is so central to everywhere with an excellent train system at the centre of the village.Interlaken, Lauterbrunan, Wengen,Murren, the Jungfrau and Schiltorn and more all within easy reach .
Although we did not eat or stay at this hotel I would be very happy and confident in recommending it to anyone and as I said previously would love to stay there if I visit Switzerland again.
Please take note of date of previous reviews and note the present owners have only been in business here since February .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
UAE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed as a honeymoon couple in June 12 in this hotel and we can very honestly say that this hotel is a gem to stay. Just 200 - 300 mtrs away from wilderswil station, this hotel has new owners and nicely done rooms. With a river stream flowing just next to the hotel it makes a perfect picturesque location for the hotel. The breakfast was simple but always timely and well served. Being a honeymoon couple we got one of the best rooms with a balcony and enjoyed an excellent views from there. The hotel served us a welcome cocktail drink though we were the last clients of the day to check in (almost at 10:45 pm). The hotel is a traditional swiss place and hence no lifts in the hotel but the staircase were fast and easy (though it can be a problem for people with lots of luggage). The access to Interlaken OST main is very easy and train can reach there in 4 - 5 mins. We are very happy to find the hotel and would definitely return to the place when we plan again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony as not all rooms have it.