“Excellent hotel with one weakness: Food” 3 of 5 stars

Swiss Diamond Hotel Lugano
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Riva Lago Olivella, Morcote 6921, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Morcote
Munich, Germany
“Excellent hotel with one weakness: Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed 3 nights with half board. Our room was on the 3rd floor with the Lugano lake view. The room was excellent with a fantastic view. The only downside is that one could hear the cars passing by, people talking and the activities that goes on in front of the hotel. The SPA area was very good and well stocked with everything that one needs. But too dark for my taste. The big disappointment was the food at the restaurant. Starting from the appetizer till desert the food had no taste to it. As a good cook I was completely disappointed. Luckily the hotel was nice enough to reimburse the second night. On the other hand I have to say that service was EXCELLENT! throughout the entire hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Just love this hotel !
Expensive but a wonderful treat .
Great Decor
Great Staff
Great wellness ( although indoor pool quite small for size of hotel)
Fab lake view
The only thing I didnt like was the outdoor pool which was very very cold ( in August)

Room Tip: ask for lake view or the rooms set on the lake itself away from main hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Let me first say that I had my wedding reception at this hotel. The whole thing went really well and was relatively well-priced - and we're still together!

The rooms are plush, the hotel is immaculate and it's right on an inland lake. Some well-travelled family members rated the hotel right up there with the best they'd stayed with - doubtless the location played its own part too.

I have to say value was enhanced as we get a local corporate rate in some aspects. This might also have been in play with the wedding driving the room rate too.

Anyway, lovely!

Room Tip: Lake view. I assume there are some without.....
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We ended up here for four nights and was a little worried because it was not in Lugano, but we had a car. However, upon exploring the area, we actually preferred the small town of Marcote to Lugano and it was more relaxed and had incredible views. The hotel itself was very nice and it was also quite and relaxing. The breakfast was ok, but it was included in the price, so who am I to complain.
I would recommend this hotel if you want to get out of the busy Lugano and want a more relaxed vacation. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this area as opposed to Lugano and it felt more like what you would expect from the Lake Lugano area. In addition, I personally preferred Marcote. Staff did not speak English very well, so be prepared on that front.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

We spent one weekend here. First thing we really liked is that they could install a baby bed in the room, so that our son didnt need to sleep with us in same bed. Usually the baby beds hotels provide have low floor. The room , dinner and breakfast were perfect. The only thing we couldn't enjoy much was the wellness offering: too small for such a big hotel, and with many people entering at the same it becomes messy and uncomfortable

• Stayed March 2011
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I stayed here for two nights with my mother. I absolutely loved the location and view. My mother and I stayed in two separate deluxe rooms with lake view. Beautiful! View was beautiful. I have stayed in many 5 * resorts and thought this hotel was somewhat lacking. The decor was very, very dated. I was very frustrated with construction going on at the hotel at the time of our stay. They ripped up enire parking lot in front of hotel. Sledge hammers all day long. I wish I would have been informed about this before our stay. Will probably be over by the time you stay there. Furniture and paintings all over resort were tacky and dated. Some of the curtains in the room had holes in them. Stains visible on carpet in room as well as common areas in hotel. Was surprised by that. The Oriental bar was very dated. However, I was very impressed by service including free drinks that came with our reservation. Had any alcoholic drink we wanted. More impressive was accompaniments. Nuts and little sausages/cold cuts and other treats. Never have been served a similar spread anywhere else. Massages in spa were great. 30-minutes were included in deal we had. We also had included a 4-course dinner. Very nice, but service was quirky. The head waiter of the hotel poured wine into the water glass that was full with water. While he offered to bring an additional bottle of wine ( a little over the top!), that never happend! However, some glasses of wine by the glass were offered for free afterwards. While I am 100 percent English and Swiss German and French speaking, I was a bit surprised that person at front desk in the evening was only able to speak English and announced this readily . While I am not sure about this place. View and location I loved. A little aways from other things. But given level of rating of hotel, I am not sure. I think it is a bit exaggerated.

• Stayed March 2011
lausanne, switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

This is a fabulous place and fully lived up to our expectations. Superb location though there is a road between the hotel and the lake, but thanks to air-conditioning in all the rooms you can sleep with the balcony doors closed and there is a beautifully decorated tunnel to the pool area, the restaurant "Lago" and the lake. Staff are friendly and helpful and contrary to what a recent guest wrote, the shuttle service to Lugano is absolutely free of charge and the welcome drink can be an alcoholic drink if you ask for it (we had a gin-and-tonic). The view is fabulous, the pool area quite large but at the lake itself, there could be a few more deckchairs. The rooms are large and very well appointed - if you do not like the rather heavy duvet, ask for a "letto italiano" and you get sheets and blanket. Breakfast very good. Our only complaint was that the restaurants are rather expensive and even when you ask for "the little menu", the prices are quite steep. This can be overcome by taking the shuttle to Lugano, it only takes about 20 minutes. We did have dinner one evening at the hotel's "Lago" restaurant - the food was excellent as was the service. We also used the indoor wellness facilities with pool, sauna etc. plus the healthcare unit where we had an excellent massage resp. facial treatment.
We loved the place and would definitely like to return to it one day. The Swiss tourist office had a special promotion and this made our stay very reasonably priced.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Swiss Diamond Hotel Lugano? Share your experiences!