“Simply fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rothesay Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added The Rothesay Hotel to your Saves list
The Rothesay Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   175 Lymington Rd, Highcliffe, Christchurch BH23 4JS, England   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Highcliffe B&B and Inns
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Simply fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at the Rothesay Hotel by myself for the last weekend of January to wind down after a busy few weeks of work. I cannot praise this B&B enough! On arrival, I was greeted warmly by the owner, Michael, who kindly offered me a complimentary tea and coffee in their guest lounge - something that was greatly appreciated after my long journey down. Michael then went on to explain about all the different places to visit and restaurants to dine in ect - he was clearly extremely knowledgeable about the area, and it became very clear that nothing was too much trouble. Michael offered to ring up a few restaurants for me to check availability, and even mentioned about taking me to the nearby train station to avoid the costs of a taxi! Thank you very much for that Michael by the way! The room itself (room 2) has recently been refurbished - to that of an impecably high standard and taste. It was lovely and warm and exceptionally clean. Breakfast was incredible, everything brilliantly fresh and well cooked - bacon was particulary amazing! The dining room was fresh and modern, lovely and clean also. To top it all off, the swimming pool was an incredible addition to the place, being able to book it so that you can have it to yourself is perfect, just what you need to really wind down! I have already booked my return visit for the easter period, also bringing along my sister and a few friends for a good girly get away, already looking forward to it! Michael, keep running it how you are because you are doing an amazing job. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chepstow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

The Rothesay was chosen after checking the Internet and exchanging e mails with the owners. The stay was for 4 days as I was attending a conference in the area, and needed a place to relax afterwards, so thought the Spa would be ideal. The bedroom itself was very nice, and I had a junior suite - but the 'bathroom' seemed to have been fitted into a cupboard as it was tiny -no bath anyway, just a shower, but at 6'2" it was hard to even use.
The spa was unusable. The sauna had no light with just a fitting hanging from the ceiling, and a torch on the wooden bench, well worn and sagging. The fire had no coals on and just the elements showing. The pool had 3 out of the 4 railings missing round it and the water was milky. I just found the whole section unusable.
The rest of the place needs a good clean and repainting, it was grimy and not welcoming.
The breakfast was fine and the owner seemed pleasant enough, but I only stayed the 1 night and then moved into a normal B& B down the road.
I wouldn't want to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I had such a relaxing couple of days at The Rothesay Hotel. Michael the owner was wonderful, and helpful. Our room was perfect for us, also the used of the court yard which has a lovely relaxing sitting area with the added bonus of the indoor swimming pool, sauna and showers.. The breakfast was outstanding. We highly recommend staying here. Excellent for the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

It is obvious the owners are gradually refurbishing their hotel. The bits that are completed are very good like the dining room and reception. An effort has been made in the room we stayed in to with nice clean bedding and towels. There were also some nice touches like the wall decoration. The breakfast was to a high standard, as was the service.
However, a few things let it down which is a shame.There was the constant smell of damp in the room. Mould seemed to be a problem in the bathroom to that had not been completely dealt with. The windows either needed replacing or painting.Paint was peeling from the wall in parts too.
The hotel is in a very good location, but some may find the road a bit busy.
I do hope the owners mange to finish doing their hotel up completely as it has great potential

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We spent a week there in September and arrived an hour early. The owner, who introduced himself as Michael, was very welcoming but told us he was just finishing off our room so we decided to kill a bit of time walking round Highcliffe. When we returned he made us tea and chatted about the hotel, the surrounding area and places of interest. Just a short journey along the road opposite takes you into the New Forest. It’s on a main road but we were at the back so were never troubled by noise.
Michael runs the hotel 24/7 and if anything needs to be attended to, he normally does it. He’s there late at night but up early the next day to cook the full English breakfast, which was very well presented. Worth a mention is the bacon, which was of the best quality. I only mention it because my partner decided to forgo the egg – as she does! - and have double bacon. The friendly waitresses were on hand even when the dining room was full, and one of them was his young daughter. On one occasion she even brought my cooked meal before I’d finished my cereal, such was her eagerness to please. But she was so polite. Her younger brother even helped out at the weekend, just illustrating that this is a real family hotel. Hearing the banter with the cleaning staff I got the impression that they all get along well. The room was clean but there was a blind fitting, that had been broken by someone who hadn’t told him. When we mentioned it to him he said he would sort it ASAP.
The bed made spring noises, which was an amusing experience for us but it was very comfortable.
We were very pleased to find this hotel, which is ideally placed for the New Forest and we will definitely go again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is on a busy main road so was extremely noisy at night.Hygiene was very poor and decor shabby.The pool area was the opposite of luxurious.The main reception unwelcoming.You need to go and see for yourself DO NOT BOOK before viewing.The owner seemed a bit creepy and unfriendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at The Rothesay hotel to celebrate our second anniversary and had a fantastic stay. When we arrived we were greeted by Michael who showed us to our room and then met us for a coffee and a chat to tell us what was around the area.

The rooms were clean, modern and well decorated and the hotel is placed perfectly to go and look around the new forest. The service was brilliant, we were well looked after from the moment we arrived and everybody was friendly. Also the quality of the breakfast was first class!

Thank you to Michael and everyone for a lovely stay!

Dan and Kerry

• Stayed October 2011

Been to The Rothesay Hotel? Share your experiences!