“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anker Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Teufen
Anker Hotel
Dorf 10, Teufen 9053, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Teufen
Richmond, Virginia
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Review Hotel Anker

This is a top-notch hotel. I love this place.

My room (43, I think) appeared brand new when I stayed there (late April, early May 2012). But they told me it was not brand new. The room was small by American standards, generous by European standards. It had lots of storage, that is, two good closets.

I had a view of a snippet of the Alpstein mountains; the village church (with its bells---bring earplugs!); and in the opposite direction, an intimate view of a clean, friendly, narrow street.

The bathroom was pristine, with an inviting glass-enclosed shower.

The Stube (dining room / restaurant) had a lot of business, mostly locals. Most evenings, a reservation was necessary to get a table for dinner.

The manager, Daniela Manser, is a local, i.e., from the local canton of Appenzell. I believe she did an apprenticeship in a famous hotel in Weissbad. She was very much in evidence.

The employees appeared happy with their boss.

The hotel is centrally located in the village of Teufen, with a view of the Alpstein mountains. My 2nd-floor (1st floor by European count) room looked onto a narrow paved street with considerable traffic, including equestrians. Across the narrow street was a park, where children from a local school played frequently.

The manager made a special allowance for me, by "organizing" a microwave in my room.

I suspect that if I had requested more forcefully, the manager also would have arranged different bedding for me. This brings us to my only complaint. The Germanic featherbed is lovely and elegant, but in fine spring weather (neither freezing nor sweltering) I was in a quandry. Either cover up with the featherbed and wake up sweating, or do not cover up and lie shivering. I am mystified how the Swiss sleep in mild weather. I would have preferred the options of (1) sheet; (2) sheet + thin blanket; (3) sheet + 2 blankets; (4) featherbed.

But I love this hotel and hope to return soon.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Families

Been to Anker Hotel? Share your experiences!