“Good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Powys, Wales
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

The food here is very well cooked. We have been here a number of times and steak is always good. There is a specials menu but this hasn't changed this year so may as well just be part of the menu. Our last visit however we did have to wait over an hour for our starters which wasn't good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Princes Risborough
“So glad this is my local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We've had lunch or dinner at the Cross Keys, on our own and with visitors, at least a couple times of month since moving to this beautiful part of Wales two years ago, and have never been disappointed.

The Cross Keys is a family run establishment, so one of the proprietors is always behind the bar. The service is always informal, friendly and highly competent. The menu doesn't change often, or often enough. But they have a keen eye for what their customers are after and you can always find it on the menu - from the mildly adventurous black pudding salad to quality filet, sirloin and rib eye steak, sourced from Tomlinson's in Llanfyllin. Their beer battered salmon gujons with a delicate sauce, is superb and comes either as a starter or a main. In fact I don't remember ever going to the Cross Keys without someone in the party ordering it.

The atmosphere is real country pub, with a fire in Winter, and all the horse brasses and all that us flat lander's like in our country pubs. The dining room manages to retain some of this charm as well. And it really boosts the atmosphere that so many of their guests are regulars. We've been made to feel like regulars since the first time we walked in.

Finally, you CAN - with patience - finish a superb 16 oz rump steak! I just wish their opening hours weren't so erratic.

“Disappointing meal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch and cannot dispute the comments about location and welcoming fire. However, whilst my wife's fish was OK, I had what was described as 'slow roast belly pork'. If the two thin dried up slivers of what looked like pork loin were supposed to pass as succulent, juicy belly pork, then I'm a Dutchman. There is absolutely no way a chef had got up early to properly prepare slow cooked meat as per the description on the menu. I confess I didn't complain or make a fuss so the proprietors didn't have the opportunity to explain what I was served, however I feel I should forewarn that there are perhaps some occasions when the Cross Keys falls well below standard. At over 11 quid for a main course, I expected something at least resembling the menu description.

Visited May 2013
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Really Worth a Visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've passed this pub so many times, but haven't stopped. This all changed at the weekend when I was coming home from a day out in West Wales & as it was getting late, decided to call in to see if they were able to do us all a meal, even though we were only a few miles from home. So glad we did. The atmosphere here is superb. Lovely log fire, exposed beams, horse brasses etc. Such a departure from the usual monochrome homogeneity of many of today's bars & restaurants. The place was packed, and when you consider that this pub is about 4 miles from the nearest village of Llansantffraid, which itself doesnt have many inhabitants, is testiment to the fact that it must do something right. I was unsure if they could let us have a table, but they happily squeezed us in. The pub is still family run & it shows in that they didn't have to conform to some 'company policy'. The wine choice is quite extensive. The food is very traditional pub food, but achieves what no gastro pub could ever achieve (as commented by a previous reviewer) It might be a very simple menu, but the food is of the very highest quality. I will gladly return to The Cross Keys for a return visit in the near future.

Welshpool, United Kingdom
“Loved this Cross Keys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've been in a few "local dining pubs with log fire & locally sourced produce",most of them are nationally owned part of a chain of boring "gastro pubs" similar to painting by numbers,no the Cross Keys is not one of those,this IS a family owned & operated pub(proper local ales) serving proper grub that is actually locally sourced & does have a proper log fire,£30 for two + drinks,loved it,thank you.