“Surprising” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nutshell Cottage

Nutshell Cottage
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staunton
Nutshell Cottage
You added Nutshell Cottage to your Saves list
Gloucester Road | Corse, Staunton GL19 3RA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Staunton B&B and Inns
Ely
“Surprising”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed for a two night break. The lady owner was very helpful and friendly, our room was a good size and comfortable. However the property is not no smoking and had we known this we would have chosen elsewhere, i can handle the Dog but not the smoke sorry.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I study at a local college and first stayed in Nutshell Cottage in September 2012 and was made to feel so welcome by both Carole and her lovely Afghan Hounds I have returned every month since to spend between 3 and 5 nights there. Carole has always greeted me with a warm welcome, enquiring into how uni and general life is going and is genuinely interested in the answer. However, she is also sensitive on picking up when I'm tired and stressed out with work and not in a chatty mood and those times just offers some encouraging words. When the course got snowed off for a couple of days in January Carole was more than accommodating, tolerating myself and a college friend (who has also returned every month since starting the course) hanging around the house revising all day, providing us with additional coffee and milk to get us through the revision. I always stay in the single room which is very warm and cosy and although not en-suite I have never had a problem with sharing the bathroom with other guests and there is an additional shower and toilet room downstairs if the bathroom were to be occupied. There is a TV in each room and the WiFi is superb...much quicker than my own at home. Carole has given us very good advice regarding places to eat and drink out which she doesn't have to considering she offers evening meals in the B&B. Carole is also knowledgeable about the area and has tourist attraction leaflets in the diningroom. Carole has offered on a number of occassions for us to use the lounge for relaxing and doing work. This weekend was my last scheduled uni weekend for year one and I enjoyed a very relaxed evening chatting to Carole for a couple of hours over a few glasses of wine! I will certainly be booking a room early to ensure I can stay there each month for my second year....and cannot wait for more of the world's best American style pancakes!

Room Tip: If travelling alone and you want a warm and cosy, comfortable room and don't mind not having an...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tulbagh, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Whilst working in the UK for the past 4 months, the Nutshell has been the restful sanctuary to which we return from stints "on the road". Carole provides you with lovely, clean, comfortable rooms, a great shower and a fantastic choice of breakfasts - the excellent pancakes being my favourite. After only one night you begin to feel like one of the family with the warm welcomes from Hostess and dogs alike! A great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bucharest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I just spent 4 nights at Nutshell on a business trip. I can't fault it - excellent breakfast, with tasty local produce, very comfortable clean and restful rooms, tea and coffee in the room, friendly advice on the region, where to eat, etc, combined with a professional attitude to service. I would definitely go back, but with my own transport next time!!

Room Tip: I would recommend the en suite room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fishguard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I am writing in response to two reviews from a-h-h-t in Lancashire and Claire from Merseyside because I feel they are unjustified. I regularly stay at Nutshell Cottage and would not consider anywhere else. a-h-h-t says it is unwelcoming with no tea or coffee in rooms but she doesn't mention that you can use the kitchen facilities. She also mentions that she was told she could use the lounge but was refused by the owner when she and her friend returned late from the pub making a lot of noise, showing little respect for those already in bed and as she had already pointed out, noises can be heard throughout the house. She also states that there was small quantities at the breakfast table but if she had tried, asking politely for more gets the desired result. Surely this is better than waste!
As for Claireb1981 being told you can use the owner's personal fridge is really useful to guests but not for the owner if guests put loads of stuff in it and move the owner's stuff aside. This is taking advantage of someone who is opening up their home for people.
There will always be people who moan, no matter what. For me, I love going to stay at Nutshell Cottage where I am made to feel very welcome and like a visitor rather than a guest.
For those people who just like moaning, I say "Get a life".

Room Tip: Only one with ensuite so book early.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Port Lincoln, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I visit the UK most summers on a working holiday, and Nutshell Cottage has become my European home a way from home. Why is this? As well as meeting all the standards expected of an excellent B&B (clean comfortable quiet room, comfortable bed, good breakfast, secure car park, welcoming host, facility to make a tea or coffee, etc) Nutshell has a some noteworthy extras! The is a beautiful garden to enjoy: lovely flowers, table and chairs; a morning coffee or evening drink in this environment is a real joy. O, the joys of a beautiful English summer garden! The hostess has the ideal personally, very helpful but not in your hair, keen for a chat if you are in the mood, has good information for trips on days off (I suggest the Roman gold mines in the Forest of Dean, Cathedrals at Gloucester and Hereford, and a lazy pup tea on the bank of the Severn River.) Also, being such an excellent establishment, there is usually a regular quest present, and after a few visits you re-meet these guys, and this makes you feel more at home. Carole has a great interest in horses and hounds, has two lovely Afghan Hounds and stables; she is also very interested art, but this was wasted on me!
I am not sure how long I have been staying at Nutshell, I remember hanging out of the windows on my earlier visits to get mobile phone reception, when English rural mobile networks were not comprehensive. Carole now has WiFi available. Every year the rooms have been upgraded to the best possible standard, Carole tries very hard, with great success in my opinion, to give her quests a great B & B experience.

Room Tip: Nutshell Cottage has a room with a private bathroom, but the lovely bathroom is very close to the ro...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I have stayed at Nutshell Cottage on a number of occasions due to significant business travel. I run and operate my own business with my husband where we both have to travel the UK on an almost weekly basis. I rarely find the time or have the inclination to write a review about a hotel, B&B or restaurant but having been made aware of the dreadful reviews from Karen H and ahht about this wonderful B&B, I felt compelled to comment.
Every time I have had the pleasure of saying in this beautiful Cotswold cottage, I have found the environment to be clean, fresh and hospitable. Carole, the owner is so welcoming, creates a relaxing atmosphere and always greets me with great professionalism and respect. I have been allocated either the single room or the double en-suite of which Karen H and ahht refer to. I have to also say that although I was aware of some traffic, by no means was my sleep disturbed through ‘constant noise’. I have always been welcomed with fresh coffee or tea, information about where to eat and a generally helpful attitude.
The breakfast is superb. The dining room is quiet and decorated with great charm and character, exactly the kind of ambience you need prior to a ten hour working day and a 200 mile drive ahead of you! You have a choice of cereals, croissants, toast, bread and, of course Full English; more than adequate for a hearty appetite. At no point have I ever noticed food choices or butter being rationed!! How ridiculous!.
Due to the amount of times I have stayed at Nutshell Cottage, I have come to know Carole more personally. She never intrudes or imposes herself on my visit but does make me feel welcome in what essentially is her home. She is a lovely lady who is striving hard to create a Bed and Breakfast to rival the very expensive hotels in the area. She provides quality, ambience, friendly atmosphere, value for money and a wonderfully safe feeling for a business woman travelling alone. I therefore agree entirely with NJM 404 and Shaz, that Nutshell Cottage IS the best B&B I have stayed in and anyone wishing to visit the area should absolutely attempt to get a reservation. Excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Nutshell Cottage? Share your experiences!