“Excellence in the Barossa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Louise

You added The Louise to your Saves list
The Louise
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   375 Seppeltsfield Road, Marananga, South Australia 5355, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Marananga B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, England
“Excellence in the Barossa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I have to admit I was a little worried before arriving at the Louise as we have had “not so good” experiences at winery retreats in Australia before. I shouldn’t have wasted time worrying – the Louise was amazingly good.

Although the staff are not on site all the time, when they are there they are very good. From the initial friendly greeting at check in (and great wine and lunch recommendations), through to the ladies who brought our breakfast provisions every morning, they were friendly, chatty and helpful without being “full on”.

The suites themselves are wonderful, spacious and light with excellent bathrooms, lovely terrace areas to the front and back, and limited kitchen facilities including a Nespresso coffee maker. Beautiful views over vineyards too.

I was a bit concerned about the concept of “breakfast provisions” but this was actually a really nice idea, you order what you want the night before from an extensive menu of fresh local produce, and drop it into reception with a requested time slot for delivery. Each morning it arrived bang on time. If you like the ladies will set everything out on an inside or outside table for you. My husband highly recommends the breakfast pie and I really enjoyed the yoghurt. Just beware the tea/coffee jugs, we couldn’t pour without spilling everywhere (that might just be us!).

Each morning with breakfast you get a summary of the expected weather and a suggested activity for the day. Through this we found a wonderful vineyard and restaurant called Kabminye which we never would have visited otherwise as it is quite close to the big hitters Jacob’s Creek. I've reviewed that as well if you want to take a look.

We also ate at the property’s Appelation restaurant one night. We chose to go a la carte which means ordering 3 dishes each from a list of about 10; there is no starter, main, etc; you are simply served the dishes in order lighter – heavier. A novel concept and one that I enjoyed once I got the hang of it! The matched wines were good and the sommelier friendly and knowledgeable.

One downside that some reviewers mention and others don’t – there are a lot of millipedes here and you will be picking them up off the floor and walls from time to time. I just scooped them up using a piece of paper (too squeamish to use my fingers) and popped them back outside. This seems to be a common Barossa issue and not just this property from what I can tell, after all you are in the Australian bush so I counted myself lucky my creepy crawly encounters were limited to millipedes (apart from the enormous spider I didn’t mention to my husband – sorry love, I just caught him and put him out but I didn’t want you to worry). It didn’t detract from the stay at all and I only mention it so future guests aren’t surprised.

The property is well situated and is an easy drive to all the big wineries. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Surrey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Prior to our arrival we planned our time in the Barossa with the help of recommendations from the people at The Louise. They managed to organise a couple of wine tastings to places which you couldn't just turn up to, and also put us in touch with Barossa Experience Tours who organised a wine tasting day for us, leaving our car behind, all of which were superb.

Our accommodation when we arrived was both luxurious and comfortable. In addition to the inside space we had a small sheltered patio with views over the vineyards. Breakfast is brought to your room with your order delivered to reception the night before. Only criticism as we stayed three nights was that the choice each day was the same, and by the third day it was a bit samey, although the contents was tasty and well presented.

We ate one night in the Appellation restaurant, choosing the Chefs Tasting Menu with matching wines. An expensive treat but for one night a very special experience, although some of the wines weren't exactly to our taste. Maybe better to try the menu and then match one special bottle of wine to your taste.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was our fourth visit to The Louise. In fact we probably returned to the Barossa just to stay here and dine at their Appellations restaurant.
We have brought many friends with us before, have had many other friends visit on our recommendation and I will tell anyone who will listen … do yourself a favor and stay for a weekend.
The rooms are incredibly well appointed & luxurious and their restaurant is top quality.
I am looking forward to our next visit.
The highlight of our vineyard tours was (believe it or not) across the road from The Louise. Tscharke’s Place has incredibly delicious wines at ridiculously low prices (my opinion only) and the Cellar Door is stunning (make sure you ask to visit their newly dugout tasting room! Wow!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I would live here if i could! The suites are amazing, everything you could want, it was like having our own place amongst the vineyards! So luxurious. Fantastic views from our patio across the valley and vineyards. The wine is local of course and very good. Room very comfy, slept really well. The service is first rate. We ate at the hotel restaurant Appelation on the evening, the service was very attentive and food gorgeous - it did not disappoint although was very expensive! (we had the tasting menu and a bottle of wine and the bill including service was near £250). This hotel also has a lovely pool and gardens which guests can use which was very nice for some relaxation time. Can not recommend this place enough, would be perfect for a wedding!! Definitely would go back if i got the chance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was so excited when I arrived at The Louise; this exclusive hotel feels like you’re in the vineyards of Italy. The stone private suites which actually resemble a little villa are extremely spacious and scream elegance and luxury. The first night we arrived and some of the second night, we spent most of the night catching the millipedes (black caterpillar things) that were crawling on the floors. It was pretty cold outside and I can see why they wanted to come in, the suites were fabulous. There was no one to call about this as reception closes at 7pm and in the morning when we went to reception they just said that everyone had had and infestation and they had tried to get rid of them. For the price we were paying I didn’t think it warranted us having to spend half of the night picking up approximately 20 millipedes, but there harmless, I’m just not a creepy crawly person and the experience didn’t take away from the great experience to be had at The Louise.
On a positive note, the suite lighting is state of the art, enabling you to personalise the mood, while the fireplace, cd selection and complimentary port and Nespresso machine enable you to relax and enjoy your stay. The bathroom was amazing with his and hers sides, heated flooring, spa bath with rubber ducky and an indoor and outdoor shower. Breakfast in-room and overlooking the vineyard was both beautiful and delicious with a large variety of local produce to choose from and besides the millipede situation the service was great. For dinner on one evening I also had the degustation menu matched with wines at the Appellation restaurant located at The Louise and it was one of the best meals I have eaten in my life… a definite must do if you visit The Louise.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

A group of us ( 4 friends) stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment at The Louise and were overwhelmed with the style, quality and class The Louise quietly exudes.

A short afternoon soujourn on the private sunlounges on our terrace was rewarded with stunning vineyard views, a glass of lovely local sparkling wine and a feeling of being removed from the hustle of everyday life.

It took us to back to a place in Tuscany where we had enjoyed similar ambience and style.

After cocktails on the main terrace at sunset, we were treated to an amazing and intimate dining experience at Appellation. Trust the resident sommelier and try the perfectly matched wines with some unique flavour combinations.

Breakfast served to us in our once again, private, courtyard, was a feast for the tastebuds with a blend of local fruits, pastries and cured meats. Delicious!

Our room was tastefully decorated with stunning art works and furnishings. The two outdoor showers proved a treat as the crisp early morning air refreshed while the sun warmed. Bathrooms and wardrobes were more than adequate with nothing left to chance-little extras scattered throughout the rooms.

This is an amazing and beautiful place for any special occasion, honeymoon or weekend away to unwind and forget the real world.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Whyalla, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here for our anniversary. Received a up grade on check in =) to a stonewell suite. Amazing accommodation!! The most comfortable bed with a fire, and my favourite heated tiles in the bathroom!!!!
The staff were extremely helpful and amazing - also at the bar/restaurant. Appelation, the restuarant, is brilliant as well. Definetly go for the degustation with matched wines.
The location of the Louise is great, in the middle of everything and right near Seppeltsfield.
The Barossa is definetly a place you should visit an this is the place to stay! Beautiful.
We will be back - sooner rather than later!!!

Room Tip: Stonewell suite - the extra bits and pieces. Fireplace, view of winery and outside shower