“A one of a kind hotel! We can't wait to come back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Corteza Amarilla Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Corteza Amarilla Lodge to your Saves list
Corteza Amarilla Lodge
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   4 km west from Forum | Blue Unicorn to the right, Santa Ana 6150-221 , Costa Rica   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“A one of a kind hotel! We can't wait to come back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We took more pictures of the eclectic decor at the Corteza Amarilla than we did at any other location on our trip. Not only was the Corteza amazing to look at but it was a comfortable place to rest our heads. The breakfast we had at the hotel was terrific. Although we did not have dinner at the Corteza we could tell it was the place to come for dinner as the dinning area was filled with people clearly enjoy themselves!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at Corteza Amarilla for just over 3 months this past rain season while doing an internship within Ciudad Colon. I travelled throughout Costa Rica those three months and can say hands down you will not find a better hotel than Corteza Amarilla! The staff is absolutely amazing and will stop at nothing to help you! The food is incredible, the rooms are beautiful and the location is perfect. Just a quite secure area and close to downtown San Jose. The beds are extremely comfortable. They are extremely environmentally friendly which is always a bonus! The staff really became my family while I was out there and if I ever return to Costa Rica this is the only place I will ever stay at. If your not planning on staying the night you must stop by for dinner. The lighting and unique artwork creates an amazing atmosphere in the evenings. Gorge, the hotel owner is one of the most friendliest people you will ever meet and if you get a chance have a good talk with him because he always has great stories to share!!

Thank you for everything Corteza! I miss you guys already!

Kim!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We absolutely LOVED this hotel. The decor of the main building and restaurant is outstanding. I want to take the entire set up and move it back to Boston so I can visit it all the time. I just loved sipping my morning coffee or my evening cocktails in the lounge area, feeling classier than I ever have while still relaxed and casual.

The dinner at the restaurant is quite delicious. It is artisan cooking, prepared with much thought and knowledge. Easily the best food we had in Costa Rica. The daily breakfast is simple, but a great start to the day. And the morning cook was very friendly and accomadating, despite a language barrier.

We got trapped here for a few extra days due to a hurricane event cancelling our flight, and the staff was so great! They let us keep our room, gave us an appealing emergency rate, and made sure that we had transportation whenever we needed it. I was so happy to be in such a peaceful and tranquil place in a time of stress and chaos!

The hotel gets marked down one small star because the actual rooms weren't too appealing to me. Because of the effort to be "green" and blend in with nature, the rooms are kind of spider friendly. There were several small spiders and one small gecko in our bathroom. Also, only half of the light switches in the room worked. I think these are off-season problems that are probably easily fixed due to high traffic in the on-season.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We got married in Quinta del Sol, as part of their wedding package we received a night in this hotel. We got champagne in our room, great service at the restaurant and a great breakfast. The prices on the menu seemed a little too expensive but the food was good. The place in nice and quiet, the artwork is fantastic, there is a lot to look at. Also the aviary was pretty nice and gave the place a special feeling. Overall it was a great experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
State College, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

A friend was getting married at Quinta del Sol, and Corteza Amarilla Lodge was close enough to walk to the ceremonies, so I booked it. What a nice surprise -- such a lovely little boutique hotel, close to San Jose, but without the congestion and noise.

The rooms are big, and well-appointed. The hotel is decorated with lots of funky pop art, which I loved. The staff couldn't have been nicer, from reservations through check-out. The restaurant staff was equally nice, and the cook who also served breakfast was particularly helpful and friendly.

One tip -- I had a room very close to the reception desk and the kitchen entrance (I think it was number 2). I would avoid that if possible -- I found it really loud. One night a couple used the desk/computer outside my room to SKYPE their family and I had to listen to a loud discussion of their wedding for more than an hour (I mean, this is your honeymoon, why are you on the phone with your mom, but that's another point entirely). The room itself was lovely, though. I'd just request one away from the main traffic areas if I ever went back.

Room Tip: Ask to be far away from the reception desk
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Lake Forest, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The girl at the front desk (who is the daugther of the owner), is a hottie. Anyway, We stayed here for 1 night after our arrival from the airport. The place is very artsy (in a good way) , quirky, and very unique. The rooms are big and the AC worked fine. The restaurant was good but expensive (expect 15-20 bucks a plate). Its a serene and relaxing place but its in a location where you cannot just walk outside to go to shops or other places to eat (must take a cab). If you have a family dont hesistate to book this place..I was there with my 6 yrs old and 9 yrs old kids.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We spent two nights at the Corteza Amarilla at the end of our Costa Rica trip. The GPS co-ordinates listed on the website were incorrect and we ended up about 2 miles away. If you use a GPS, search by the hotel name instead of using the co-ordinates. It is a few miles down the road from the Forum area where there are shops and restaurants. It is secluded and off the beaten path so plan on having a car or eating at the property.
The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. We had not planned anything for our free day in San Juan so they organized a private car service to take us up to Volcan Poas. It was a half day service and very much worth the trip. There are organized tours available as well which they can help you coordinate.
The restaurant is good although light on vegetarian options. The dining area is nice with lots of decorative arts in a very relaxed and laid back atmosphere. There are plenty of seating areas to have a drink or dinner and enjoy the scenery.
Be aware that the hardwood floors echo so if there is someone staying in the next room most likely you will hear them moving around. Apart from that, the rooms are well appointed and clean.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Corteza Amarilla Lodge? Share your experiences!