“A League of its Own” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Santa Ana B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“A League of its Own”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was incredibly impressed with Vista Canyon Inn! Marsha picked us up from the airport and served as a great informant on our quick drive back to the breathtaking Inn. The views of the canyon were amazing! My husband and I loved relaxing in the pool and hot tub and enjoying the gorgeous views! Our room was impeccable. Everything was super clean! Marsha decorated the room beautifully - it was easy to see her attention to detail - the same personal care that is given to every aspect of the Inn. No corners were cut - the linens, pillows, and even the toilet paper were of the finest quality - you may laugh, but it's the attention given to these details that make you feel pampered when you are away! The pride that Marsha and Eleazar take in Vista Canyon Inn is evident everywhere you look - from superbly kept rooms and grounds to OUTSTANDING hospitality. Marsha and Eleazar went above and beyond in every way possible! They booked our rental car and had it delivered to the Inn for our convenience, scheduled our excursions including ziplining, rafting and hiking tours, provided us with a cell phone and their contact information in case we needed anything during our vacation - which came in very handy! They even ordered dinner in for us as we didn't want to leave their beautiful views! It is this extra care and attention that make Vista Canyon Inn in a league of its own. I could not recommend this place more! It is the perfect starting and ending point for your Costa Rican vacation or even the perfect place to stay as there are really great day trip options from the hotel's location! Thanks for the amazing stay Marsha and Eleazar, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the most amazing view of the canyon from our bed in the Owner's Suite!
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
What a great title for your awesome review. Since opening Vista Canyon Inn we have strived to be the best we can be. Providing outstanding customer service, high quality bedding, linens and amenities not often found while staying in Costa Rica. My business partner laughed when he read your comment about the toilet paper. We must have tried 10 different brands before finding one I would approve for use in the rooms. In fact, it is the same type we use in the house. LOL. Yes... the little things do make a difference.

Glad you enjoyed the tours we arranged. We try to use only the top companies with the highest ratings and reviews. We want your tour experience to rate right up there with your stay. Booking a rental car from outside Costa Rica can be very frustrating. Stringent insurance requirements often cause big surprises when you pick up your car. Sometimes doubling your rental cost with the insurance required by the government. We have great relationships with CR Rental Car Companies allowing us to provide no surprise pricing with numerous insurance options for our guests. Arranging your delivery and pickup at the Inn saves you time and money.

We are happy to arrange take out dining for our guests. The last thing most want to do after a long day of driving, touring, etc. is having to go out for dinner. Many times we provide dinner options in house for our guests. However, when that is not available there many great restaurants of all types and prices that deliver. Thrilled to hear you will be visiting us again and promise you another great stay.

Thanks and Pura Vida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I used Vista Canyon as a launch off and end point for my trip around Costa Rica and was blown away by the view and equally the hospitality. After traveling for over a week and staying at 4 other hotels, we altered our trip to get back here earlier to spend more time taking in the view and relaxing by the pool. This place by far went above and beyond the services provided by our other accommodations. We also had the best view of our entire trip from our bed in the owners suite! From the bed we could see the entire canyon....the view never got old! We also had the best Costa Rican breakfast of any place we stayed, here! If you are looking for a place around San Jose, or traveling around Costa Rica and are looking for a place to start your trip, there is no better spot.

Marsha and Eleazar offer more than a place to stay, they helped recommend (and booked) some of our activities, booked our car rental and provided a cell phone for our trip (which came in very handy)! Give this place a try, and it could be one of the better places you stay your entire trip!

Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Can't thank you enough for the wonderful review and comments about your stay with us. Not only is it a tremendous compliment it definitely confirms that we know what our guests want. They appreciate the attention to detail and the personalized service we enjoy providing. The Owner's Suite is extremely popular with our guests so I was delighted it was available for your stay. Yes, the view is stunning and available from the comfy sofa in the sitting area as well as from the bed.

Our beds and high quality count linen continuously receive raved reviews from our guests. A great nights sleep is the perfect beginning to a wonderful day. I will pass your kind words about breakfast on to Chef Maria. She loves what she does and enjoys introducing our guests to her wonderful Costa Rican breakfasts. Her empanada's are definitely favored by our guests and she surprises them daily with what she puts inside. Regardless, there are very seldom any left overs.

We are delighted you chose to stay with us your last night in Costa Rica. Hot water, high water pressure and air conditioning are amenities our guest want during their stays. Especially after traveling throughout the country finding such common amenities not always available.

Exceptional accommodations and excellent service is what we enjoy providing our guests.
And, we thank you for allowing us to share it with you.
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival to San Jose, Eleazer greeted us at the airport and quickly took us to the Inn. The Inn to me is a perfect "welcome to CR" and I will be back! My favorite was sitting in the hammock swing with my coffee listening to the birds and feeling the light breeze off the canyon getting my first CR sunrise!

The rooms were perfect! Spacious, roomy, clean, comfortable, and air conditioned! The breakfast in the morning was the best...fresh fruit, fresh juice, and breakfast empanadas...I could of ate and ate and ate :)

Had we not already rented a house on the south Caribbean we would have stayed here much longer!! Marsha and Eleazar are amazing and are now friends! I hope to see you both on our way home! Thank you for everything!

• Stayed June 2013
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Complimentary Airport pick up is something that sets Vista Canyon Inn apart from most other B&B's and Boutique Inns in the San Jose area. Although, it is just a short ride from the San Jose International Airport, the ride back to the Inn gives us a chance to meet and visit with our guests. It is also a great time to answer any questions the guests have about the Country, the Inn, us, etc.

It also takes a lot of the stress away from arriving in a foreign country and having to hassle with finding transportation as well as finding the place you are staying. This allows our guests to start their vacation adventure as soon as they board the airplane. And once they arrive in Costa Rica enjoying "Pura Vida" can begin.
George Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at Vista Canyon Inn our first night in Costa Rica and it was a great way to kick off our vacation! Marsha met us at the airport and brought us to the hotel which saved a lot of stress upon arrival. Everything about the grounds is beautiful - breathtaking view, very clean and comfortable. The room was impeccable - clean, nice linens, and had everything we needed. Marsha and Eleazar were amazing hosts and went above and beyond to make us feel at home - we wished we would have stayed longer!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
We enjoyed having you as guests if only for one night. When traveling to a foreign country most travelers are concerned about their health and safety. That's why the cleanliness of all rooms as well as the rest of our property are at the top of the list.

Although, we feel our staff are some of the best in Costa Rica my partner and I still personally inspect each room prior to the guests arrival. Doing so insure that the level of service we strive to provide our guests is never compromised.

We hope that your next visit to Costa Rica allows your stay with us to be a little longer.
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Thanks to Marsha and Eleazar, my fiancee and I have just returned from an awesome first trip to Costa Rica. Upon arrival, Marsha was waiting for us at the airport and quickly shuttled us to her wonderful property. The close proximity to San Jose is a great staging ground for CR vacations or longer stays. First impressions - the entire grounds of the Inn, rooms and all, were in excellent order and very clean and tidy. The showers had the best pressure and temperature of anywhere we stayed on our trip. The pool and hot tub were great and seemingly perched on the edge of the giant canyon below; offered a unique view while lounging around. The included breakfast was very good and offered a nice introductory taste into typical CR foods - be sure to try Eleazar's homemade salsa.
Overall, we quickly felt very comfortable around the Inn. The attention to guest needs and friendly demeanor of Marsha and Eleazar clearly set them apart from all our other lodging stops in CR.

Room Tip: Suites have an awesome view of the Canyon. All rooms we looked at were in excellent shape.
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for response and kind comments about your recent stay with us.
Your comment regarding your stay at Vista Canyon Inn topped all the other places you stayed while in Costa Rica is quite a compliment. Actually, the highest one you can give.

We work hard to insure our rooms are fresh, clean and welcoming to our guests when they arrive. A good nights sleep is important at all times but, especially when you are traveling. We want our guests to sleep like they do at home which is why all our rooms have high quality count linens and memory foam toppers on all the beds. And we don't charge extra for air conditioning. It takes a guest who has stayed in other hotels in CR to appreciate our great water pressure and hot water. Definitely a big PLUS. Unfortunately, it is a feature not all boutique & small hotels in CR have.

Our view is spectacular. I was so glad you arrived early enough in the day to enjoy it.
You were one of our first guests to be treated to Eleazar's delicious homemade salsa.
As I remember, our chef was off and he prepared breakfast that morning. . His salsa is delicious and a must have with his breakfast burritos. He love the compliment.

Just so you know, after your raved reviews about his salsa we are discussing putting on the breakfast menu. So keep your fingers crossed.

We are glad you and your fiancee enjoyed your stay with us and hope your will visit us again.
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My first visit to Costa Rica was enriched by my stay at Vista Canyon. Marsha and Eleazar epitomize customer service. I was in the country to visit my new granddaughter and they welcomed my family with open arms as well. We spent many hours by the pool, playing and just "vegging" out!! I felt very safe and comfortable throughout my whole stay. When travelling alone this is very important to me. I took one of the tours suggested and was thrilled, got to see so much in one day.
Carlos the groundskeeper should not be left out of the equation of service excellence. He is a wonderful person and when he helped cut down a coconut for my son I was thrilled. Talk about above and beyond!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the deluxe room which was beautiful. Most rooms provide a fabulous view. I don't thi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We were thrilled to be apart of such a wonderful event in your family. The birth of a grandchild ranks high on that list. We were delighted to have your family here too. It was fun to see the how much the baby changed during her first week of life..

The majority of our guests are too busy touring to take advantage our our heated pool and jacuzzi. So, we were glad you enjoyed using them everyday. Plus, Xzavian was ecstatic to have someone to swim with. Your grandson had become quite the little swimmer by the time you left. Glad you enjoyed the tour to Poas and LaPazz. At least you got to see a little bit of our beautiful country while you were here.

It is always our goal that our guests leave with wonderful memories of their stay.
That goal was definitely accomplished during your family's stay with us. It was a joy
to have you as our guests and hope to see you again. Blessings & Pura Vida !
Arlington, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Marsha and Eleazar thank you so much for being so hospitable. The room and bed were so comfortable. You guys made us feel at home. My husband needed sleep and Marsha was nice enough to drive me around and show me beautiful Costa Rica. The breakfast on the patio was such a nice touch. Your view looking down on the canyon was breath taking. I loved the spa and I wish I could bring some girls up for girls weekend maybe next year. Thank you again for such a lovely experience.

Room Tip: All rooms looked lovely. The owners suite is really nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marsha W, Owner at Vista Canyon Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
We were delighted to have you visit with us if only for a short time. I really enjoyed showing you around the area. Our Central Valley is a very beautiful place to live. There are so many lovely areas in which to live. And, the shopping, restaurants and activities are very much like what we are used to in the States. Just wished we had more time to venture out a little further. However, there is always next time. Our guests love the peace and tranquility VCI provides. Glad your husband was able to take advantage of your time here and catch up on his sleep.

Our Spa is a favorite of most of our guests. We would love to have you and your girl friends back for a Spa Week. Let us know and we will be happy to combine your spa treatments with some day tours. Poas Volcano, LaPaz Waterfalls, Lake Arenal are some of our guest's favorites, just to name a few. Thanks again for your kind comments. Pura Vida.

Been to Vista Canyon Inn? Share your experiences!