“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Posada Canal Grande

You added Hotel Posada Canal Grande to your Saves list
Hotel Posada Canal Grande
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piedades de Santa Ana | 500ms South From Santa Ana Bus Station, Santa Ana 6150, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Santa Ana
Phoenix, Arizona
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I just finished a one month visit to Costa Rica, and I stayed at the Hotel Posada Canal Grande in Piedades de Santa Ana the whole time. They gave me a great rate, and provided everything I had need of.

I was a little apprehensive about making such a lengthy reservation online, without actually seeing the hotel - I have learned about that the hard way in the past...
But when I got there, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff is excellent, and everything is very clean, and well cared for. Elizabeth was so helpful to me in recommending tours, helping me to rent a car, giving me directions, and so many other things. She is young and vibrant, and speaks several languages, and is a joy to experience.

I found the bed a little hard...but the staff provided me with a mattress topper that made it just right. :)

They also provided me with a fan, and a mini fridge, at no extra charge.

The cleaning staff is excellent, polite, and professional. The views are fabulous. I was there for a month, and I think I took pictures of the same beautiful views at least 10 times! (sunsets are different every day, of course...)

Breakfast is included as well. They did a very good job, both preparing and serving breakfast, and I enjoyed fresh fruit, juice, hot chocolate (for those like me who don't drink coffee), toast, eggs cooked to order, and (of course) gallo pinto, on the patio while enjoying a great view of the lush landscape.

Before I went to Costa Rica, I read online that this hotel was hard to find. So, I decided to take their personal driver from the airport to the hotel. This was wise, and I highly recommend doing this. It cost me $27, and he knew right where the hotel was. No guessing games or drama like if I had taken just any taxi...

My whole trip to CR was a wonderful adventure, and the Hotel Posada Canal Grande was a central part of that great blessing.
Thanks again to all the staff there...
5 stars!

Room Tip: All the rooms at this hotel are excellent. However, the lower floor rooms at times have no internet...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
grandecanal, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
We are more than glad that you had a great stay, we were so grateful that you stayed with us the whole trip and all your doubts were gone from the beginning whether you stay for your long stay, this is what makes our place enjoyable and make people don´t want to leave, as well for short and long stays our staff will go out of their way to make from your stay the most enjoyable experience, from little local advises to arrange car rental. Like you said the best way to get here is to arrange a transportation with us for your arrival, we hope that you good experience encourage this enormous community of travelers to come and enjoy like you did.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I recently stayed at thus hotel and I was extremely thrilled with how friendly the staff were. They could not do enough for you. From bringing me hot water for my tea and coffee every morning , to answering the phone when I had a million and one questions about Costa Rica. The hotel is extremely clean and the housekeeping offers to clean the room every single day. The Hotel is a quaint little Bed and Breakfast style place, with the most stunning views of the Valley. Recommend this place for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
g00d2be, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We are more than glad that we exceed your expectatives, like always our staff will go for the extra mile to make from your stay the most unforgettable experience. We are pleased to give information about the country, advises and any tourist arrangement that you might need. We hope that this good experience encourage this enormous community of travelers to come and enjoy from our views and charm of the place.
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Hotel Posada Canal Grande is a remarkable place not for VIPs though. However I really enjoyed it there because it gives you the feel of a typical Costa Rican culture. There are no air conditioners but the windows are made in such a way that the air from the surrounding mountains keeps the place cool as if from an air conditioner.

The staff especially Elizabeth is completely friendly and helpful. Well for someone from Africa the breakfast was not the very best though I enjoyed the fruits.

The Yard is simply natural and incredibly amazing. The price is reasonable, however it far from the central city.

over all I loved my stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
g00d2be, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt comfortable with the feel of the place, though we don’t have A/C we are glad that you understood our sustainable ventilation system which makes a good and cool ventilated room, there is no need of artificial conditioning and keep it natural. Our staff will always be willing to make your stay the most comfortable possible, we hope that your good experience encourage this enormous community of travelers to come and enjoy like you did.
Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed here for just one night at an exceptionally low rate....the quality truly surprised me given what I paid. This hotel is very quaint and comfortable - if I'm back in Santa Ana I will surely look to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
g00d2be, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We are more than glad that you appreciated the value of staying with us, we have affordable prices for a very comfortable stay and we definitely look forward to you to come back. We hope that this good experience encourage this enormous community of travelers to come and enjoy it like you did.
Winston Salem
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel while on our way to the Osa Peninsula and enjoyed it very much. The hotel is about half an hour from the airport, up in the cool hills. At our request, they sent a driver to pick us up at San Jose airport. The hotel is delightful, and with so much character: colonial architecture, high ceilings, antiques, large rooms, and immaculately clean. We were warmly welcomed by Elizabeth, who seems to do everything from checking in guests to cooking gourmet dinners. We chose the prix fixe dinner served on the terrace: sea bass with baked eggplant--delicious. The bed was comfortable, hot water was plentiful, and a breeze cooled the room all night (no a.c., but not needed). Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Second-floor end room was perfect--quiet and cool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
grandecanal, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
We are more than glad that you had a great stay and were charmed with your experience overall, we will be glad to arrange transportation for the arrivals when requested and our driver will expect for you at the airport, we are glad that you know how to appreciate our unique decoration that it is what gives character and a nice ambience plus our staff that is always willing to make for your stay the most comfortable possible, don’t forget to ask for a dinner on our terrace with the most exquisites and fresh ingredients. We hope that this encourage this enormous community of travelers to come and enjoy it like you did.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were staying here on our way into CR for a 2 months study abroad in Manuel Antonio... First off, getting here was a bit of a nightmare. We GPSed it and it took us a street over. I asked a couple people on the street if they had heard of it with no luck. Fortunately, earlier we had made a wrong turn and tried the "rerouting" trek and we eventually saw the signs on the street. When we got here, this place was like an oasis. Elizabeth is very sweet and helpful. The gardens are beautiful. We went upstairs to our room, couple things about it: The rooms are slightly outdated (no biggie) and the beds in our room were very firm. We left our luggage and went down to dinner Elizabeth prepared herself, It was soooo good. When we went back to our room, one of our bags had been attacked by ants looking for a cough drop. We had a bit of an ant problem the rest of our stay. The next evening I was looking forward to dinner again, and I waited, and waited, and waited.. No dinner. If there was a process to ordering dinner it was not communicated in any way. The first night we were offered dinner on our arrival, and I guess I expected someone to ask, but no one did.. It seems strange to offer dinner one night and not the next. Also, technically there is a bar, but no one manages it, so it was uncomfortable for me to interrupt Elizabeth (who is obviously often busy) to ask for a drink. The rooms are not equipped with an ice bucket or minifridge to keep our own stock, and then considering the ant problem I couldn't have kept food in the room anyway. Which is a bummer, because the pool area is gorgeous and after so much traveling we didn't really want to leave but felt forced to leave to feed ourselves. When all was said and done, I felt like I overpaid for our stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
g00d2be, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We are more than glad that you had a great stay, some of the GPS like the Garmin confuse the street location where we are, we recommend asking us for directions depending where you are driving from. Like always our staff will be willing to make from your stay the most enjoyable possible, from advises to any arrangement and also we do at the hotel dinner when requested and we have a minimum number of persons to star dinner. We figure that the ants came to your stuff because there was some sort of food, otherwise they don’t crawl over, this is very natural in a tropical weather, so we advise to not to leave any leftover or open food in the room. Do not hesitate to ask for a drink at the bar, our staff will never be too busy to do it, we would be more than glad to serve you a drink. We appreciate your appreciation on the hotel price and we have one of the most competitive rates around, if you compare facilities and service you will be satisfied with the price. We hope that this clarifies any doubt that any new traveler might have about staying with us.
Garrett Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Tired of staying at cookie-cutter hotels, with endless, long hallways of identical doors and identical, boring rooms? The Hotel Posada Canal Grande is the opposite. It's like I imagine the fancy (and incredibly expensive) hotels that folks like Brad Pitt stay at when they travel. Huge rooms, huge beds, beautiful, spacious lobby, and fantastic poolside patio in the middle of all the rooms. A wonderful breakfast was included in the price, and the staff was so friendly and helpful. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
g00d2be, Director de Recepción at Hotel Posada Canal Grande, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We are more than glad that you describe your stay like a very pleasant experience, we are grateful that you appreciated our ambience and the unique decoration, we also treat everyone like individual and our staff will always be willing to make from your stay the most enjoyable possible, we look forward to your prompt visit and we hope that this good experience encourage those who are looking to stay in a different place with character and charm and not being in crowd places

Been to Hotel Posada Canal Grande? Share your experiences!