“BAD restaurant, First time I give a low star rating here in TA.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Real San Jose

Save Saved
You added Quality Hotel Real San Jose to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Real San Jose
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Autopista Prospero FernandezCostado Este Forum, Santa Ana 60-6155, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Santa Ana
San Jose, Costa Rica
“BAD restaurant, First time I give a low star rating here in TA.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I just came back from having the Sunday Brunch with my family at this hotel. I have NOT stayed here so this review is regarding the restaurant at the hotel.

When we got there there was about 20+ people waiting in line to get in, Not a problem since we had reservations. So far so good as we got seated right away.

As soon as we got to the buffet area I knew something was not right. Food was lacking, I mean there was no food in about half the food stations (if you can call them that). Ok, no big deal, the other half had food, so I guess it's just a matter of waiting for them to "refill" the empty stations, or so I thought.

My daughter waited in line in the Pasta station for 20 minutes (give or take a minute or two), 10 minjutes later she was still waiting in line! I then get up and asked a waiter if I can talk to a supervisor or a manager as this is unacceptable. He then said "what's the problem," (if I had wanted to talk to a waiter I wouldn't have asked for a supervisor/manager), "you can talk to me". Ok, no worries, so I tell him if they can get more staff to attend to the people as the waiting time seems to be unacceptable. No problem he says, we're taking care of it right now...

About 10 minutes later NOTHING has changed, the table across ours, a party of 4, actually got up and left after waiting about 15 minutes for their drinks (to be fair, the waiters were overwhelmed with the amount of people, obviously they were not used to this). I then proceed to the front desk to ask for some manager that I can talk to. Unfortunately, says the front desk staff, no manager today since it's a Sunday but we can get you the " 'manager' on duty". Cool, someone who can make things happen, or so I thought once again. After about 5 minutes of waiting, this "manager on duty", probably the housekeeping supervisor, by the name of YAHAIRA VEGA comes out of her office chewing what probably was her lunch and unpolitely asked me what I wanted (???). I then proceed to tell her what's going on in the restaurant area and she just replies, very rudely, I might say, that "we are taking care of it right now" and I got the feeling that she wanted to say "who are you to interrupt my lunch?"...

To make a long story short, I will NEVER eat at this place again, NEVER. I would rather pay twice/thrice the price at the Intercontinental down the highway by Multiplaza than get treated like a third class citizen when obviously the staff is not properly trained.

If anybody from management at the Quality Motel reads this please RETRAIN your staff specially, YAHAIRA VEGA, as she definitely needs some schooling as to what customer service is all about.

BTW, the food itself was very good.a 8-9 out of 10... Service is a 2-3 out of 10. Also, I saw some patrons "running' to the dessert station as they bring out about 7-10 desserts at a time. Less than a minute later it's all gone.

Nice way to spend a Sunday brunch with your family....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
fernandezb, General Manager at Quality Hotel Real San Jose, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Customer,

Greetings from San Jose. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. We want to offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you had last Sunday Brunch at our restaurant. We have already taken corrective measures to improve our service and to prevent any of our visitors to have a negative experience when enjoying any of our services.

Hoping to see you soon again in our hotel.

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Good place, service, nice location. The price doesn't compare to what you may expect. I've used this hotel about four times. Consider that is not located located close from downtown (San Jose). But it's near from the business area

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from San Jose. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel. We have a variety of rates depending on the season which are well competitive with the same style hotels in the area. Additional, these rates include breakfast buffet​​, 15 meg internet and local calls, which we believe minimize travel spending of our visitors.

We are located in the fastest growing area in terms of corporate offices and entertainment in the city. We are very close to the highway to San Jose center and takes about 20 minutes by car.

Hoping to see you soon again in our hotel.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Clean and well-appointed hotel located in the Santa Ana suburb around 15 minutes west of San Jose. Parking is complimentary. Right next to the hotel are two dining options .. Rosti Pollo (grilled chicken fast food style) and a mexican restaurant. Around a 5 minute drive in Santa Ana there are also several excellent dining opportunities.

Hotel rooms are clean and comfortable. Rooms include a safe and other amenities such as coffee maker, iron, and flat-screen TV. Downstairs there is a full-service restaurant that also provides for room service. The nightly rate includes buffet breakfast which features a variety of items, all very delicious.

Overall a nice hotel a little further outside of San Jose ... from this hotel the mid Pacific coast towns can be reached very easily by car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
fernandezb, General Manager at Quality Hotel Real San Jose, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guests,

We thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. Effectively our hotel is located in a strategic area and we are within walking distance to three restaurants, further down the road to a variety of shopping malls, supermarkets, shops. The description of the rooms you made was excellent. We would not have done better. We have a restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner. Rooms service 24 hours.

All hotel rates have buffet breakfast, internet and local calls included.

Hoping to see you soon again in our facilities.

North Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a perfect place to stay at the end or beginning of your vacation to Costa Rica ... if you need to have North American amenities. The rooms are predictable, comfortable and consistent. We have stayed here many times and always find that the internet works, the rooms are clean, great breakfast included, transport to the hotel in the morning and excellent and very helpful staff.

It's about a 15 minute cab ride to the airport (about $20) and is good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. As your coments many travelers stay with us because we are located in an area you can find a variety of restaurants, bars, malls. Additional all our rates include buffet breakfast, internet and local calls.

We are very pleased to have been part of your positive experience in Costa Rica.

Best regards,

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I stayed here in July with a student travel program (as the teacher leader). At the end of our CR experience, some of my students got sick, and we stayed in the Quality Real while the group finished the trip elsewhere. The hotel was absolutely AMAZING! First of all, when a student's fever spiked way after doctors were gone for the day, they got me a wonderful English-speaking paramedic to check her out. When another student needed medicine that the pharmacy wouldn't deliver (it didn't cost enough, and I was not allowed to leave the students to go pick it up), they sent one of their drivers at NO COST to go pick it up for me, along with some Gatorade for the students. When we needed food, they were able to get a local restaurant to bring over a menu, since I needed to order in and the hotel restaurant was a bit out of my budget.

On our last night, I asked housekeeping to change sheets for one of the girls who was finally feeling better, explaining she had been sick. The housekeeper even went so far as to fetch her a new comforter as well, and not just change the sheets.

During this time I was constantly in my room, so I could be close to the students, and when I told housekeeping I just needed to switch out my towels, she came back later just to make sure I didn't require anything else.

Aside from being the most helpful hotel EVER, the rooms were immaculate, the restaurant was hotel-pricy but delicious (and the included free breakfast was AMAZING), the pool is in a courtyard and was lovely, there is a two-washer guest laundry, a business center where copies and internet are free, and again just the best customer service ever. I look forward to staying here again when I return to Costa Rica in the future!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guests,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We believe that when such events happen on trips is when you see the genuine solidarity of the people. We are very pleased by the performance of our employees while you and your students requiring our help and more so that you have felt cared.

As for our rates all they have the breakfast buffet included, internet and local calls.

Hoping to see you soon in our hotel.

Best regards,

Coos Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here when we had an early flight back to the states. It was very clean and we received a free upgrade on arrival the pool was refreshing and the fitness room adequate. The hotel does not have a shuttle to the airport but taxi's are available 24 hours so that is not a problem. We spent 25.00 for a party of 4 withluggage to the airport. Oh as a side not you must pay taxes to leave Costa Rica, ours came to 28.00 per person. The staff does speak some English but be careful they will sometimes act like they understand but they are not grasping the full meaning of our words, brush up on your spanish conversation phrases it is much appreciated and useful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
fernandezb, General Manager at Quality Hotel Real San Jose, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are already taking steps to train our employees and deepen their knowledge of the English language. In our reception you can make the payment of tax to leave the country.

Hoping to see you soon.

regards,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

On a recent business trip to Costa Rica, I was staying at the Quality Hotel. I was very impressed with the Hotel Staff. Very courtious and always willing to help with Restaurant recommendations, as well as activities. I would totally recommend this place!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are really pleased that you have had a rewarding stay in our hotel. We are delighted to have been helpful while you were staying with us. Our hotel is the right choice for business, both for its location as our value added rates. Breakfast buffet, 15 meg internet and local calls are included for all our guests.

Hoping to see you soon.

regards,

Fernando Fernandez

Been to Quality Hotel Real San Jose? Share your experiences!