“Both the place and the hosts make for a special stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zamora Estate Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Ana
Zamora Estate Hotel
You added Zamora Estate Hotel to your Saves list
250 meters north of Bacchus, Santa Ana 347, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Santa Ana B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Both the place and the hosts make for a special stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Lovely way to start a Costa Rican vacation. The rooms are very comfortable, the food terrific and the grounds just beautiful. Wish I could have spent more time there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Farmington, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

our week's vacation ended with a fabulous evening enjoying the tranquility of Zamora Estate and its wildlife... watching the egrets settle in the trees by the pond only a short distance from the outdoor patio of the main house, where we shared a glass of wine and dinner with the proprietors, Roman and Anna Zamora... the accommodations were charming, comfortable and rustic, yet modern with all the amenities one needs in the bathroom... Roman and Anna were exceedingly gracious with their hospitality and love sharing this jewel of a location in the midst of the bustling city of San Jose... it was truly a last night to remember before our flight home! the Bensons, Farmington, New Mexico USA

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Our travel agent had us stay at the Zamora Estate on the last day of our trip because of it's proximity to the airport. We wished we could have stayed longer. It was so peaceful, our cabin was awesome, complete with a king size canopy bed, enclosed porch that overlooked one of the ponds. The bathroom was very large and reminded me of a spa.
The pool was crystal clear and Ramon took us on a walking tour of the grounds to show us his vineyard. We actually saw more wildlife at the Estate than we did on the Manuel Antonio park tour! Ana, is also the chef and enthusiastically cooked a wonderful dinner and breakfast...her version of eggs benedict were unbelievable! Our meals were served in the main room of their home, or in the open air of the large covered porch. The Zamoras were warm and friendly and invited us to their family activities. I would highly recommend the Zamora Estate to anyone who loves to be surrounded by nature, especially, bird watchers!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I completely agree with the other reviews. This place is heavenly! Beautiful (& comfortable) accommodations on a beautiful property!

Also, Roman & Ana are the best hosts! Roman is a wealth of knowledge and Ana's cooking is incredible. They make you feel like a part of their family! A little girl we were traveling with got heat stroke. Ana not only made an appointment with their own pediatrician but she also went with the family to translate, help them find the pharmacy and finally an RN for the needed injection.

I recommend Zamora Estates to all my friends and family planning a trip to CR!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Before discovering the Zamora Estate, I had stayed at the Marriott in Escazu during my first visit to Costa Rica in December of 1998. It faces the huge, modern, air conditioned indoor mall, the Multiplaza. Away from the chaotic capital of San Jose, this area is the premium suburb.

Little did I know that hidden away only minutes further along the new highway, the autopista (that goes all the way to the beaches), that a stunning natural retreat sits surrounded by the most lush and beautiful Costa Rican wildlife. A centerpiece of the estate are four spacious and airy cabins with outside decks overlooking a pond with wildlife spreading out as far as the eye can see. It is restive, private, tranquil and beautiful. Compared to some cramped room at the Marriott nearby, one is suddenly in genuine Costa Rica in a cabin with all the amenities (including a TV, Wi-Fi and a small refrigerator).

A friend told me about the Zamora estate and set up my reservation. On my next flight to Costa Rica, the owner, Roman Zamora, met me at the airport as he does all their guests. He was gracious, vital and a virtual encyclopedia on Costa Rica.

I was stunned when I entered the inside of the property and looked far off into the distance, seeing only pristine natural habitat without even a hint of the modern world nearby. Ahead was a large pond bordered by 4 attractive private cabins. In the foreground stretched a brand new swimming pool fed by natural springs. Colorful plants of all varieties punctuated the perimeter of the cabins reminding me of Maui.

I knew right off that this hidden natural preserve blew away any small room at the Marriott with a view of a parking lot and costing 30% more. Around me was the reason people come to Costa Rica, to see the majesty of its natural world, not to hide off in some hotel franchise that could be anywhere. I felt a deep sense of relief.

Roman and I headed to Cabin one, a spacious newly built structure that had a king sized canopied bed and an outside deck with a couch and a table. Farther back there was a walk-in tiled, spacious shower, a rare treat for me.

I went to bed realizing that one doesn't need a heater or an air conditioner. True to Costa Rica's reputation of having the best climate in the world, the night reminded me of Maui in prime season.

Breakfast, which is included in the price, is brought to the cabin and placed on the table on the outside deck overlooking the pond. You eat watching nature in full majesty--with glimpses of ducks, birds, turtles, even monitor lizards around the pond. In the distance were the hills of the Zamora estate. Far from view was the vast thriving Mall just over the hills.

The lavish breakfast came with fruit juice, coffee, fresh bread from the local bakery, jam, a bacon and ham omelet, and a large bowl of fresh Costa Rican fruit including papaya, pineapple, melon, banana, pear and orange.

The food was outstanding. Ana Brenes Zamora is the daughter of a famed chef who teaches cuisine. For a reasonable fee I could get dinner there if I didn't eat out. Dinner there rivals the best restaurants around. I had steak au poivre cooked the way it is done in France, lasagna, Chilean Sea Bass, pork chops, grilled steak, each main dish accompanied with a salad, side dishes and a great desert. Ana's reputation as a cook has been spreading far and wide as groups fight to hold wedding receptions or private banquets on the estate.

Ana and Roman Zamora gave me lots of space, but because of who they are, inevitably became friends. For a hundred years the Zamoras have owned this rare property (that they have resisted selling to developers). Anything I needed to know about Costa Rica from the beaches to the dentists, they could tell me.

The Zamora estate is a natural treasure hidden away in the most upscale suburb of the capital, indeed, their La Jolla. Minutes away is the brand new highway that can take you to the beaches on the Pacific Coast in under an hour. Everything is in reach and yet you are tucked away in a rare natural setting. It is an unbeatable combination. You can go from an area that looks like it is a hundred miles away in unsullied natural wilderness to the new Imax in under ten minutes! That's really hard to beat.

Tal Brooke, author of Avatar of Night and One World

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I have stayed at Zamora three times within the past year. It is a unique and very special place. Roman and Ana, the owners, welcome you to their property as if they had always known you. During my first visit last August, the extended Zamora family was celebrating a niece's birthday. Roman and Ana invited my colleague and me to join them for dinner even though we had only arrived at the property an hour or two earlier. What a special evening that was! Roman and Ana are warm, embracing, friendly and as sincerely helpful as can be. They truly understand "customer service"!

Each bungalow is clean and incredibly comfortable with a range of amenities. I would describe them as "elegant simplicity". While I am not much for TV, AC and a refrigerator when doing my work in Costa Rica, I recognize that everyone's needs are different and know that it is good that Zamora provides them. Personally, I love the little porches that are part of each bungalow and enjoy sitting there to listen to the sounds and take in the beauty of the property. So relaxing.

The hotel is situated on property that has been in Roman's family for over 100 years. The setting cannot be beat. An array of magnificent birds including boat billed herons, white egrets, mot mots, northern jicanas and purple gallinules are always around the ponds. What a special treat! Watching the magnificent sunsets from the pool (very large and clean) area is so peaceful and beautiful.

And then there is Ana's spectacular cooking. Oh my gosh! Her skill in the kitchen is extraordinary. From the homemade granola, sour cream pancakes, delicious fish and chicken dishes, and her chocolate specialty that is out of this world, I have loved every morsel of food I have eaten at Zamora.

I will be bringing a group of travelers to Zamora in February and cannot wait for them to get to know this beautiful place and its wonderful owners. It will be the first stop on a 12 day trip. What a perfect introduction to Costa Rica!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Cottam, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

This hotel would be perfect for honeymooners, or travelers at the start or end of a big adventure in Costa Rica, only 30 minutes from the airport. Friendly and knowledgeable hosts, Ramon will guide you around his little bit of paradise, while Ana will create a gourmet dining experience. The rooms are luxurious, private, and romantic, with all the amenities. Each room looks out over a pond teeming with wildlife. A spring fed pool welcomes the weary traveler, or enjoy the luxury double size shower, with unlimited hot water to wash away the grime. The food makes you pause to savour every bite. The king size beds are cool and comfortable. We will certainly stay here again when we return, and schedule more time to explore.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Zamora Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!