“Great Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 41 Reviews
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Great Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My family of 6 stayed in 3 Japanese style rooms with fantastic views of Lake Toya for 2 nights. The rates were very reasonable by Japanese standards. We were given a special package which included a sumptuous Japanese breakfast comprising raw squid, ikura, salmon, miso soup etc. On the 1st night we opted for a topanyaki dinner and that too was hearty and tasty.
This hotel exudes warmth and friendliness, feels like home away from home with good facilities for the family; 2 billiard tables, table tennis and hot springs and stone spa, including massage, and so makes it a great place to chill out. And if that's not enough, an O2 bar as well.
Kawanamisan (the owner of hotel) very kindly took us to the islands in the middle of Lake Toya, and his wife brought us to the bus terminal. Their hospitality was unexpected.They are also hosts to a group of Fukushima families who have been temporarily displaced by the nuclear fallout. Highly recommended.
Lake Toya is a beautiful place and a geothermal gem for those who are fascinated with active volcanos.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Entrance and lounge area gave an immediate cosy feelings. There is a piano, where some customers played occasionally.

Though the hotel is separated from the lake by the road, my room had great views of the lake still.

There is also a nice little bar (M's 21 Bar) that operates until late night. And a one person operated aromatherapy room (operates out of 1 of the room)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
SINGAPORE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

As a traveller who has stayed in an assortment of luxury and budget accommodations, I dare say Hotel Kawanami has much to satisfy if you are keeping within a limited budget.

While planning for my Hokkaido trip, one of the challenges I faced was to find an accommodation in Toyako. Whichever hotel website i visited only conjured up images of big streaming crowds of tourists, running screaming kids and big dowdy hotels past their prime, which to me was too much to bear. I was about to give up until I chanced upon Hotel Kawanami. It was just what I wanted- a charming little place with personality.

The hotel attracts mostly locals which is very telling of whether one is getting a good deal.

The Tobanyaki dinner was the perfect meal after a soak in the hot spring. What made my stay most enjoyable was the hospitality of the hotel's owner, Mr. Kawanami himself. He extended his help in every possible way. I am indeed grateful and would like to thank him very much for it.

I am glad I stayed at this hotel and would recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Stayed in Hotel Kawanami in Nov 2010. I took a slow stroll from the bus terminal along Lake Toya, which took me a very enjoyable half an hour. Signage was very clear, so no fear of getting lost along the way.

Although check-in time is stated as 3pm, they allowed me to check in at 1pm instead. Room was rather big with ensuite toilet (no bathroom), and futon was set out for me when I checked in. Room had a view of Lake Toya.

Dinner was great. I had requested a non-seafood meal, and was given a sumptuous meat tobanyaki meal, with chicken cutlet and meatballs, accompanied by the usual soba and rice. Too much for me to finish!

I had the whole onsen to myself that night and enjoyed all the various baths available. Computers with free internet access are also available in the rest area near the reception, although the internet access is not very fast.

That said, I have stayed in better ryokans elsewhere in Japan, although for the price I paid, I don't suppose I should gripe about it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

The hotel is settled a short distance away from the usual big hotels in Toyako... but staying there was an excellent choice. We had no problem finding the place and when we did, we were greeted by the lovely garden-style front yard.
The hotel has an English style resting area with 2 PC terminals for internet connection, an O2 bar, and a room showcasing some fantastic photography shots.
Mr Kawanami speaks relatively good english and prepared a lovely (and spacious - for 2 people) Japanese room for us.
The japanese bath is good too, they have several pools (about 4) with various temps. Love the open air onsen.
Their seafood grill dinner is the most elaborate we had in Hokkaido. Very fresh ingredients and we had a very hearty meal.
However, their curtains did not have black-out layers, and we ended up waking up at 3am to a very bright room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tyldesley, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Kawanami for three nights as we were on a "fly - drive" around Hokkaido. The Hotel is a very clean and well presented traditional Japanese Hotel, the staff are excellent and the food and facilities are also excellent. It proved to be an ideal location as a base for touring the surrounding countryside. Our room had a beautiful view of Lake Toya and we had a perfect view of the nightly fireworks display.
An extra big thank you goes to Mrs Kawanami for her help in getting our Traditional Japanese Light fitting sent home from Toya Post Office, without her help it would have been a nightmare and probably would not have got home in one piece. Thank you Mrs Kawanami for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Hotel Kawanami is like a holiday resort nestled on the beautiful shores of Lake Toya. Although it's a mid-priced Ryokan, there's an easy air and a laid-back atmosphere about this place.

We stayed 1 night there which we immediately regretted cos this place is absolutely amazing. The staff was very friendly and warm though most don't speak english except Mr. Kawanami. The hotel owner, Mr. Kawanami, is very kind and friendly and he went through great lengths to ensure that our stay is comfortable and hustle free. This is the kind of warm Japanese hospitality that you can't get from the bigger hotels down the road.

We were amazed at how spacious and clean the rooms were. We even have an platform next to the window for us to sip our tea and watch the fireworks at night .

The ladies outdoor onsen was AWESOME! Because it's a small ryokan, you are able to have the pool all to yoursel if you went late in the night or early in the morning. It faces a small beautiful japanese garden and while I was there, the cherry blossoms were in full bloom. It was absolutely breathtaking to be having a hot bath in the open and admiring the beauty of cherry blossom with its delicate petals fluttering down in the chill morning air.
The region around the hotel is beautiful as it faces Lake Toya. There's lots of activities like canoeing, boat paddling and fishing. If the weather runs foul, there's indoor recreations in the hotel like table tennis, billiard or simply laze around the cozy lounge area, where there's free internet stations.

I'm glad that we pick this hotel and given its price range, it is definitely very good value for money. Though it lacks the frills and grandeur of the bigger establishment, it more than makes up with its personal and attentive service and the casual and peaceful atmosphere that it exudes.

We will definitely make another trip back again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Kawanami? Share your experiences!