“Great location, amenities and service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Address Nozawa

You added Address Nozawa to your Saves list
Address Nozawa
3.5 of 5 Apartment Hotel   |   Toyosato 9535 | Shimotakai-gun, Shimotakai-gun, Nozawaonsen-mura 389-2502, Nagano Prefecture (Nozawa Onsen)   |
“Great location, amenities and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the second year in a row we go skiing in Nozawa and Address Nozawa is a big part of the reason. It blends Westernn amenities with Japanese inspired architecture. As a self-catered apartment it provides the flexibility of chosing one's dining options, at the same time the front desk is so helpful that it leaves one with the impression of staying at a 5 star resort.

Address Nozawa is about 5 min walk from the slopes and just as far from the numerous restaurants in town.
We are already looking forward to next year!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Chriss C,

Thank you so much for your your kind words.

I was so happy to read that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your review to my great team here. Please do come back to your home from home again in the near furture.
Many thanks,

Arnaud devillers

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I loved Nozawa Onsen - it is exactly what Niseko is not - extremely charming Japanese village with not too many foreigners and with quite a few Japanese themselves coming to ski. The charming ski town has many public baths scattered about the town including a newly re-furbished one with an outdoor bath perfect for the icy cold (I forget the name but it is about 10 minutes walking from Address Nozawa and definitely worth the visit). The hotel itself has an onsen in the basement and provides you a little onsen pack for use either in the hotel or in the public baths outside the hotel. Address Nozawa is extremely convenient (less than 10 mins walk from the bus station) and modern. We tried both the standard and bigger rooms. For a couple, I would say the standard rooms were spacious enough (you might want to consider bigger rooms if you are traveling with kids) and for couples, you can just push the double beds together with ease. Bathrooms are a tad on the small side but perfectly comfortable. The rooms come with a small dining area (even the standard room dining area has 4 seats) with a small kitchenette. They do not serve breakfast but they stock up your pantry with water, eggs, bread, ham and fresh apples. There are a few grocery shops including a very high standard deli selling artisanal jams etc. 1-2 mins from the hotel so breakfast was not an issue for us. Plus we were quite happy with the great quality fresh eggs and preferred a quick simple breakfast before hitting the slopes (saving our tummies for lunch and dinner). The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to the Yu Road which is a moving walkway that takes you up to the Hikage slopes (where they have rental shops and a ski school with English instructors). The walk to Yu Road is a little steep (for a very very short while) and if you have skis/boots to carry, might be quite a good work out. Having said that, we saw young kids walking up and down with not much trouble. For us, we rented all our gear from St Anton Rental right on the slopes (which you get to the minute you step off the Yu Road) - you leave the skis/boots at the rental shop once done, before making your way back down to the village (very handy and no need to worry about lugging all the stuff up and down). For beginners, Hikage is great as there are lovely green runs almost right at the top. One point to note is that Address Nozawa does not provide room service everyday (I think you can put a "please clean the room" sign up but otherwise the rooms get cleaned every 3 days). We were hardly in the room and are fairly neat so this was not an issue. Concierge at the hotel is friendly, there should be the manager or someone else available that can speak good English and help you through your stay as the town is still very Japanese, though for us, this was the charm. The snow fall may not be as consistent as Niseko but we had great snow while we were there in February. Our favourite bar (we were there every night for pre dinner drinks) was Himatsuri - quite a modern looking Japanese bar with a sweet Japanese bar tender (English menus available - try the sake that turns to slush after a few seconds stirring). Bar food here is great too including the fried chicken and the fried potatoes (my husband says the best he has ever had as it is fried till the outside is extremely crispy with the insides very fluffy). The bar is connected to the Jonobi Ryokan - you must book the sukiyaki dinner there - it is extremely high quality marbled beef with nice sake. Himatsuri/Jonobi is right opposite the famous O-Yu onsen. We will certainly visit Nozawa onsen again (we preferred it to Hakuba which had similar snow quality). Niseko we will go back for the snow which is unbeatable but Nozawa Onsen with its charm is certainly a strong second (and we had nice snow too during our stay).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I really do appreciate you taking the time to leave your kind comments following your stay at Address Nozawa.
I was so happy that you liked the warm welcome you received and that you enjoyed your stay with us along with the small touches that we provide. I have passed on your kind words on to the team.

Kingscliff, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Been her 1 week now, 1 week to go. ThIs is defeintely the best place to stay in Nozawa for lots of reasons.
It is in the centre of town and all that offers ( including best steamed buns a few steps away) but also only few mins walk to the Yu road and Hikage gondola, or walk up the road to the Nagasaka gondola.
The staff are fantastic. We arrived on cold and very snowy afternoon, helped inside with our luggage and wiped snow off for us! Shown rooms and how to use everything. In regard to reviews on tripadvisor rooms are funky and open plan, as shown on their website. Have everything you need. Generous supplies for breakfast. And something not advertised on the website, they have their own Onsen in the basement if you don't feel like thredging back outside at end of day to go to one of the public Onsen.
Staff, most speak excellent English, if not they go out of their way to make sure they understand your request or question by using the translator on the computer or phoning another member of staff.
Have spoken to lots of people on the slopes or in cafes, restaurants and bars about their accommodation its style, location and cost and realist have stumbled across a gem. Oh and I forgot to mention the free wifi

• Stayed February 2013
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Mazzieq,

Thank you so much for taking taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay at Address Nozawa including the great service you received from our great front desk staff.
I sincerely hope that we get the chance to meet your expectations on a future occasion.
Kind regards,

Arnaud Devillers.
general Manager.
darwin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The rooms were very clean and extremely pleasant, and accessible (even a wheelchair to use), as our family arrived at Address Nozawa a couple of days after I broke my leg. Staff met us at the bus station and were very helpful about getting the family, myself on crutches and all of our luggage into the room as effortlessly as possible. I spent a lot of time in the room as the rest of the gang was still skiing and went for a trip to the snow monkeys, and the hotel was pleasant to be "stuck in". They did provide lots of food for breakfasts, and the kitchen was extremely well equipped. The location of the hotel is amazing,and the restaurant across the street offered a 9 course set menu that was terrific - and they even accommodated vegetarians. The apple filled buns were also incredible... Apparently the onsen was excellent, and extremely hot unless it was snowing heavily. The location of the hotel is terrific as it is right in the centre of town, and a short walk to the ski resort. The family loved the traditional town.

For some reason there was not abundant hot water in the room. They did not empty the garbage or anything, so my husband just took the trash away. they did come by the room eventually with clean towels etc. When you arrive just purchase extra coffee - as there is not enough provided for the coffee machine if you are coffee drinkers. These are very minor things, just ask and the staff was helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear LindaDarwin,

I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time with us at Address Nozawa. I was really pleased that you enjoyed your experience and that we met your expectations in all the areas of your stay.

Please do come back and see us soon. I have passed on your kind words to my team here.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Like other reviewers have stated previously, the hotel is centrally located in the village, ideal for restaurants.....and non skiiers. I'm not sure how they class themselves as a Hotel, as there is no restaurant or daily cleaning service. The psychedelic micro sized elevator opened to original linoleum covered hallways that one would compare to a hospital ward. For a suite that accommodated six persons, we were somewhat frustrated that there was no seperate bathroom and toilet.!! The room lights were so dim, one could only read at the dining table. As others have said, it will have its followers, but our group realise that we would much rather have been closer to the slopes with an outlook from a hotel (with king beds) and walk a few minutes down through the village to the restaurants at night.

Room Tip: The only ones with any view from a window appear to be the street facing ones.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear OzkiwiSidney,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us.

On our website, you can see, that we are classing ourselves as Service Apartment and we are not offering restaurant service. But in a radius of 100 meters you can find a broad range of restaurant, and our concierge is available to provide to our guest some excellent recommendations.
I’m very sorry to hear that you didn't like the design of our property. We are a 12 room property which was originally a small Ryokan and we have worked hard to give it a modern design and keep the cosiness of the property whilst ensuring that we provide every comfort and thoughtful extra that we believe that our guests will enjoy. Each and every one of our rooms is individually decorated and the lay-out of each room may vary in many cases but we will always try to find the most comfortable room according to each guest's needs and preferences. As you took the elevator, I supposed that you were not in our suite room as the suite is on the ground floor. Our suite room is actually offering separate toilet and bathroom.
For your information, there is no hotel with restaurant offering King Size bed near the ski slope at Nozawa-Onsen. Our place is one of the rare places offering western bedding and we are at only 10 minutes by walk from the ski slope.
I do hope that you get the chance to stay with us again in the near future.
Kind regards,

sydney, aus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This place is great on paper. Fab location, good design, self catering, onsen...ticks all the boxes right? Except it just misses the mark. It's such a shame as it could be a great property with a few tweaks here and there.

First the pros:

- Great location
- Rooms are very well appointed - comfy beds (only single beds though, no mention of this when booking), Nespresso machines
- Washing machines and dryers available for self use 24/7 including free washing powder (awesome)
- Free wifi
- Drying room that actually dries stuff (this is a first for me!)
- They provide ingredients for you to cater your own breakfast - loads of eggs, bread, ham, apples, milk, water, orange juice - in fact too much to get through!
- Free meal at a sister hotel included with our booking. They undersold this place massively - it was an incredible degustation meal and we loved it. Definitely take up this offer if it's included in your booking.
- Good recommendations for local restaurants
- Picked us up and dropped us off at station
- There's a kids room downstairs (which we didn't avail of) but had a wii, etc

So reading all that it's probably hard to imagine why they get a 3 star rating from me. Sounds awesome yeah?

Which brings me to the cons...

- Cleaning - we were told our rooms would be cleaned every 3 days. This didn't happen. Come day 3 and the bin in our kitchen was emptied (not bathroom or bedroom bins), no linens or towels replaced and no cleaning of any kind took place. Even after complaining on Day 4, they still didn't clean - we simply received fresh towels. Just not good enough.
- Service. It was rubbish. The staff are, for the most part, very surly and speak little English. Everything was a problem. e.g. upon check in we were rudely told we couldn't check in until we paid in full for our room AND for our friends' room (booked to arrive the following day). Now I have zero problem paying for my own accommodation but to demand I pay for someone else is a little off...
- Nickel and dime-ing - we were given 4 Nespresso pods for the week for 2 of us (both coffee lovers). It's awesome they had Nespresso machines but they made it nigh on impossible to buy extra pods & they don't refresh them. I think they'd be better served providing fresh pods daily and recouping the cost in the room rate.
- Onsen was pretty average and not somewhere you'd want to spend a lot of time.
- Rooms, whilst very well appointed, were clearly done on the cheap and haven't worn well.

Now all of these issues are pretty easily fixed in my mind. They just need to get the right people to do it. Having stayed at numerous ski resorts in Japan I think the trick is to stay somewhere owner run - the experience is just so much better.

Nozawa Onsen isn't my favourite place but the snow is insane and it's worth a visit. Address Nozawa is worth staying at too but just with appropriate expectations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Marniemac,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback following your stay with us at Address Nozawa.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your rooms and found them well appointed, as well as finding our beds and bedding superb, as these are clearly two very important factors when selecting a hotel. Also, I was pleased to note that you appreciated our breakfast set.

I'm very sorry to read that we didn’t meet your expectation in term of room cleaning. Our policy is to clean the room every 3 days, as we have found this to be environmentally friendly. This process includes changing the bed sheet, the towels, and vacuuming the floor. Should a guest request more frequent service, we are happy to accommodate.

In regards to the staff, I believe the individual you encountered on your initial check in may have not been suited to the task of reception. We have since made changes. I do feel it is unfair to say that most of the staff is surely and speak little English. While we realize that our English is not perfect, as it is not our primary language, both my reception manager and I have very good communication skills in English, and I believe we are fairly proficient. One of the charms of Nozawa Onsen is the fact that this is a traditional Japanese village, where English may not be the prominent language.

It is customary in Japan to pay the balance upon arrival. While this may differ from what you may have experienced elsewhere, it is considered reasonable in Japan. The reason why we requested payment for both rooms is that they were both made in one name and therefore treated as one reservation. Again, this is a Japanese custom and I apologize if you found it offensive.

While I am happy you enjoyed your visit to Address Nozawa, as well as Nozawa Onsen, we strive to improve our service. We appreciate your comments and look forward to improving our guest experience. And we hope to see you back soon!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great size for Japanese rooms,Stayed in Executive orange room for family of four for two weeks in Jan 13. Apartment was trendy and retro style, beautifully clean and warm with massive flat screen TV for watching Sumo in the evening. Great little kitchen with fantastic coffee pod machine, fridge was regularly stocked with fresh milk, orange juice ham and eggs and bread for breaky, very convenient.The hotel is situated right of the main street of town, which is great for getting to restaurants at night, the walk up to the gondola can be a hassle if wearing ski boots but you can leave your skis and boots in lockers on the mountain if required. The hotel also has its own Onsen which was fantastic for easing they tired muscles after skiing all day. Stayed at the Nozawa Onsen hotel the year before but was not as good this one.Would definatlly recommend and stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Arnaud D, Directeur général at Address Nozawa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Ian112_13,

Firstly many thanks for your kind comments. I was so happy that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay with us especially our fantastic Onsen !!
I have passed on your kind words to all the members of the team.
I hope you will join us again soon.

General Manager.

Been to Address Nozawa? Share your experiences!