I am sure I will get a respose from Management for this entry saying something like we are hotel people or we are doing an injustice to the hostel etc...
The truth is it is a cheap option and definately without a shadow of a doubt a backpackers. I will give it those 2 factors but I have (as my profile reflects) stayed at many a hostel and with the exception of one this is the worst hostel I have stayed at. Japan is full of great service and wonderful people - this hostel is a joke and makes the Japanese look bad due to Australians owning hostels which they do not run properly...
I will make it easy to read by listing the reasons:
1) The rooms are cramped - there is hardly enough room for 2 people in a dorm let alone 4. Its like sleeping next to a person you do know.
2) when we arrived our room was dirty with left over breakfast plates and shot glasses under my bed
3) The Mangement is disorganised and verged on rude - we preordered ski equipment and he didn't have the sizes or know the details we sent over - so much so that my partner had to hire elsewhere. He also insulted my other half to my face implying that she was rude and "he had a girlfriend once like her and it didn't last long".
4) The rental equipement is old (2008-9) and pretty shabby - my board had a loose back binding and my skis were pretty blunt. He did however let me swap from skis to board without an extra cost - but I paid for it so didn't think it would be a problem - I advise renting at Rainbow rentals as they are the same price for MUCH better equipment.
5) The toilets stink, when I asked the manager about them his reply was "some places are just like that" Awlful...
6) The place is packed with Australian kids drinking, puking and generally being foolish We had a few occassions where we didn't want to go to the common areas any longer due to drunk Aussies...
7) The echo from the noise in the hostel is immense - it even got through our earplugs - not good when all you want to do is get an early start to ski/board in the morning
8) The toilets/showers are awlful - one shower had the head off for our stay, and a communial dressing area - not that that bothers me but come on some privacy would be nice.Now I know this sounds funny but you can not wipe your bottom in the toilets as the door is too close to the toilet itself... funny but true.
9) on the day we left we had puke all over the toilets and basins in the hostel - I have pictures
10) you have to pay over $1000 yen to get to the place from the train station, and the reception is shut between 11 and 4... Just a last moan but it again took away from our experience
I could go on and on... needless to say the place is a hole - pure and simple and I have travelled all around Central America, North America, Asia, Oceania and even Africa and stayed in hostels so I know what I am talking about...
I strongly recommend that whilst you are in Japan (esp Hakuba) stay with the Japanese not this Australian run hostel - because the Japanese know how to keep and run a good hostel - to be honest our experience suffered because of this awlful hostel.
Whatever the response is to this post - I stand by the fact that we will never return to Mt Hakuba Backpackers - not in a million years
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.