“Excellent Ski resort, but.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 23 Activities in Hakuba-mura
4.5 of 5 stars 194 Reviews
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Sports
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Ski resort, but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

variable terrain, plenty of space and 4 sides of the mountain to choose from. Excellent infrastructure to move people up the mountain, never overcrowded.
Plenty of terrain to choose from on piste - but very limited off-piste. Being in the middle of Honshu island, the weather might be tricky - it rained in Feb 2013.....
But then the famous Japanese dump has occurred, restoring the faith in best powder snow in the world.....

Visited February 2013

Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Great snow,great food, great people,cheaper than I imagined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great snow,great food, great people,cheaper than I imagined.
The snow was brilliant, deep powder, no crowds, varied runs, with friendly people,food on the hill was cheaper than I imagined. Couldn't go back to Thredbo after this

Visited February 2013
Perth (Tasmania), Australia
13 attraction reviews
“AMazing pow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Such a great place! Great snow all over the mountain, but the main runs tend to get congested with people sitting just over the lip, so if you're a keen skier/boarder stick with the upper hill - and take low skis, you'll loooove it!

Visited March 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Great skiing and snowboarding for tourists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

As a beginning snowboarder, I can't offer much in the way of comparisons to other resorts, however, I was very pleased with my experience at Hakuba. My Japanese speaking ability is almost nonexistent, so I was very pleased to see that the signage included English, and my there were lessons available in English. I was even more pleasantly surprised when I had to rent boots and a board, and the shop clerk at the resort spoke perfect English. It saved me a lot of trouble when requesting my size 32 cm snowboarding boots, which I am happy to say, were available (Most shoe stores in Japan do not carry anything near my size, and a few other independent rental shops I looked at didn't have my size either). With all my equipment ready to go, and a half a day of lesson's under my belt, I ventured out onto the slopes by myself. Everything was well organized, and the other skiers and snowboarders were friendly and respectful.

Visited January 2013
Cairns, Australia
20 attraction reviews
“Spring in the Alps”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We did a day trip to Hakuba from Nagano which took approx 45min on a local bus and cost Y1,500 each way. The scenery during the ride is spectacular. Hakuba resorts were mostly all closed due to it being 'off-season', but we walked to the downhill ski slopes where the Winter Olympic 1998 downhill skiing was held and caught a chair lift up to the top tower. Cost was Y500 ea. Again, spectacular views. The mountain tops were still covered in snow which made it even more awesome.

Visited May 2013