“Nice View, nice service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Towada Hotel

You added Towada Hotel to your Saves list
Towada Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Namariyama, Towadako, Kazuno-gun, Kosaka-machi 018-5511, Akita Prefecture   |
Macau, China
“Nice View, nice service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I read a lot of review about this hotel and since the rating is good so I decided to book this hotel. Though I went there in mid November and no more red leaves in Akita area, the view from the hotel is still very good. I can see very clearly the Towada lake from my room and from the main entrance of the hotel. It is just 15 mins drive from the hotel to the Towada lake JR bus station. The building is very elegant and I really love the smell of the wood inside. Onsen and Food also very good. Moreover, I am very impressed by the service of the hotel, it happened that after I left the hotel and back to Tokyo, I found that I have left my muffler inside the hotel room. I immediately contact the hotel through its facebook and asked them whether they can send back the muffler to me (to my home country). Although they haven't sent any parcel outside Japan before, they made their best effort and keep updating me the process. And today I received their parcel, with my muffler packed very neatly. Thanks a lot for their effort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stumbled on this hotel while exploring the beautiful scenery of Lake Towada. Although we only speak English the front desk clerk was able to communicate well. Our room was generously sized and accommodated 3 adults. We chose a twin (2 full size beds) with a sofa bed. Our rate was 68,000 yen per person and included dinner AND breakfast! We missed dinner but enjoyed a delicious (we were given the choice of Western or Japanese style, the primary difference is rice or bread) breakfast on Noritake China.

• Stayed July 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

I was with a small tour group October 23 and 24. We arrived at the height of the brilliant fall leaves, thanks to a booking made a year in advance.

The original wing of the hotel was created in 1940 in a style a bit reminiscent of hotels in North American national parks, but at a human-sized Japanese scale with an elegant traditional interior. The hotel was rebuilt about a decade ago when a Western-style wing, with a new lobby, restaurant, and rooms, was added. The new structure avoids competing with the spectacular woodwork of the old. Lobby/library space is abundant, spanning both wings.

The hotel's original architecture is worth seeing for its own sake, including the old lobby and upstairs library. Rooms in that section are Japanese-style. Guest rooms in the new wing all have great views of Lake Towada, and are similar to what you'd expect in very good Kyoto or Tokyo hotel, but larger. The guest rooms' bathroom facilities are typically Japanese--slightly raised from the main floor, with very nice shower plumbing (much more convenient than one sees in the US), a bidet-toilet, and an abundance of toiletries.

The hotel is an "onsen"--it has Japanese bath facilities in the new wing, and of course the hotel provides robes and slippers for going to and from and for dinner. The hotel has meeting rooms and even a karaoke room.

The restaurant served us excellent Japanese and western breakfasts and dinners, complete with seasonal rice-paper placemats, worth saving for stationery.

The National Park's deciduous forests are as attractive as anything in the Appalachians, with a very diverse tree flora. Lake Towada is a vast volcanic caldera with forest-covered walls. The creek draining the lake has a scenic road and trail with many waterfalls, rapids, and other beauty spots for those with cameras, oils, or watercolors.

The hotel's website shows the hotel and its settings accurately, though as a non-reader of Japanese, I do not understand the text.

• Liked — The natural setting (the hotel has its own dock) is magnificent.
  • Disliked — If there's any dislike, it's that the hotel is by itself, well separated from the only lakeshore town.
  • Tips/Secrets — Lake Towada and northern Honshu is a bit less accustomed to English-speaking visitors than the big cities, but are utterly worth the effort to visit. The Japan National Tourist Organization has excellent maps and advice. By the way, national park roads are excellent, and the region could be worth a try for an auto vacation.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Towada Hotel? Share your experiences!