“really good food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Florida
“really good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Loved eating here twice while visiting NS. welcoming chef and service. Food is uniquely prepared and presented beautifully. Had lobster and apple pie which was fantastic. worth the trip for great food.

Visited August 2012

94% Recommend
Buckinghamshire
“Very fine dining with the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have just returned from an absolutely excellent meal at Parrot's Pins in Lockeport. Even our smallest family members (18-months-old and 3 years old) thought dinner was delicious, although I perhaps shouldn't have shared quite so much chocolate pot (to die for!) with the 3-year-old......but as I am not in charge of getting him to go to bed tonight, I guess it doesn't matter, because he loved it too! The food was excellent, comparable to some of the Michelin-starred restaurants we have been to at home in the UK. The halibut was amazing, and I loved the blueberry compote on top. The steak was cooked to perfection. The seasoning of all the food was spot-on, and really enhanced the ingredients, which were so fresh and tasty. The blueberry cheesecake was very indulgent, and as a bit of a chocolate pot connisseur, I have to say it was quite possibly the best I've ever eaten (and I've eaten many!). We won't be back in the area until next summer, but we definitely plan a return visit - and I know my family in Shelburne will be back very soon.

• Visited August 2012
“a wonderful find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We live in Nova Scotia and know how difficult it is to find interesting food on the south shore. We stopped into The Parrot's Pins today and we were welcomed by the most hospitable husband and wife team. With an open kitchen you speak to the chef about your lunch and make any special requests.
The luch was out of this world. The open faced lobster sandwich was the best I have had anywhere....lots of lobster, sumptuous cream sauce and a delicious salad. My wife had a salad that could not be more fresh including the peaches from the tree in the chefs backyard....you get the point....fresh...interesting food ....and a dinner menu to salavate over.
This place is worth the 20 km trip off the road. You won't find a better meal on the South Shore!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Decatur, Illinois
“Still wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have been back to Nova Scotia twice since my earlier review and have had dinner at the Parrot's Pins Candlepin Cafe both times. It has not disappointed. The potato encrusted halibut was the best I've ever had. We had to eat early -- the rest of the evening was full. As long as I am lucky enough to visit this beautiful corner of the world and the PPCC is open I will go there and have another fabulous meal.

• Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Compares favorably with Boston’s best restaurants.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love this place!! Chef Keith Phillipe is a genius with meats, fish and game prepared traditionally or with a Moroccan, Szechwan, Japanese or Vietnamese twist. My husband raves about his mussels and doesn’t leave a drop of broth. One evening we arrived in time to watch him cut halibut fillets from a catch that had landed within the hour. The menu includes the expected beef and pork tenderloins, veal, chicken and lamb; but often includes less usual entrees like bison, boar, quail or duck. Soups are creative and perfectly prepared. My favorites are his wild mushroom and his delicious beet borscht with sour cream. Pastry chef Shelley Damron specializes in seasonal cobblers, pies and cheese cake; but also makes a killer chocolate Pots de Crème. Her homemade flax bread and fresh baked jalapeno cheddar biscuits are excellent.

It’s a 12-hour drive from Boston to Lockeport, NS. We plan our arrivals to ensure that we end our journey with dinner at the Pins. They offer a good, if limited, selection of wines, including some from Nova Scotia. The atmosphere is friendly and very relaxed. One caution. This is a small restaurant. They can sometimes find a way to accommodate your last minute decision to dine; but I strongly recommend a reservation. If you must be spontaneous, go for lunch. That’s great too.

• Visited July 2012