We spent two nights in the Belum Rainforest resort during our trip through Malaysia at the beginning of August. We got there by car, which is actually rather easy as there is basically only one road that leads up to the resort.
The place itself is built following an eco-friendly architecture with lots of natural materials like wood or bamboo, and also has a small garden with a frog-friendly pool. It's right near the big lake system that has been formed by the nearby dam, and the setting is very calm and beautiful. Quite a few small lizards run around the place (in particular on the walls and ceilings), which startled us at first. The receptionist was not really friendly, but the rooms we were given were spacious, clean and had a very nice modern bathroom as well as an air conditioning (see photos). We slept very well there.
The food in the Belum Rainforest resort is not overwhelming, but for two days it was certainly ok. It's buffet only for breakfast and dinner, in a room near the reception which looks a bit like a cantina, especially because of the hars neon overhead lights. If they made some effort at interior decoration and more suitable lighting, the room would be far nicer. The breakfast was mediocre, the highlight being the few fresh fruits they served (e.g. melon), but then this is something we observed in Malaysia generally. The dinner was better, with several hot dishes to choose from which were generally quite good, and nice (alcohol free) cocktails being served.
Having arrived in the afternoon, we booked a tour through the Belum rainforest for the next day. It was called "Temengor Walk" for RM 250 and offered (i) a trek to the famous giant Rafflesia flower, (ii) a visit of an Orang Asli village, (iii) a visit of the salt lick and (iv) a picnic lunch at Sungai Enam Base Camp waterfall. We enjoyed the trek very much - we saw the giant Rafflesia flower, were able to watch jungle elephants for around 30 minutes from our boat and saw a lot of the vegetation and surroundings of this huge lake system. Of course that involved long boat trips to get from one destination to the other, but we quite enjoyed these as a welcome respite from the rather exhausting walking through the jungle (which is certainly not suitable for people in bad physical condition). Our guide was very friendly and forthcoming and explained a lot of the fauna and flora as well as of the history of Belum to our group. The salt lick is certainly not spectacular, and to see the Orang Asli just lounging around is not too fascinating either, but it is nevertheless very interesting to learn more about Malaysia's culture and history, and also of the various animals and trees (such as sandalwood).
In summary, we would recommend the hotel and the resort in itself for a short stay of 2-3 days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belum Rainforest Resort is one of Malaysia's premier ecotourism holiday destinations. Set in the midst of a tropical paradise, Pulau Banding, the Belum Rainforest Resort, is everything nature-lovers and holiday-goers expect in a getaway destination: complete relaxation and serenity, stunning views and surroundings, adventure, and the chance to get close to nature.With the Belum-Temengor Rainforest literally at their doorstep, guests at the resort will have a rare opportunity to experience the soothing beauty and mystery of the vast jungle, which has remained untouched for centuries. Nature lovers will revel at the chance to observe the beauty of plants and scenery that can be found only rarely elsewhere. Meanwhile, thrilling outdoor activities await adventure seekers who crave for adrenaline-pumping experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Belum Rainforest Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belum Rainforest Hotel Gerik
- Belum Rainforest Resort Malaysia/Gerik, Perak