“Good hotel at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Kochi

You added Le Meridien Kochi to your Saves list
Le Meridien Kochi
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kundanoor Junction, Maradu, Kochi (Cochin) 682304, India   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maradu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Affalterbach
“Good hotel at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

As the address says, the hotel is located at the junction of two mayor streets, so when you approach by car, the first impression is not THAT great. But that changes once you enter the premises. The surroundings are nice and quiet, and at the rear, behind the large pool and the nice garden, the hotel is located on the backwaters. We only stayed for one night and had no chance for a boat tour on the backwaters, but one tour left on a boat while we had breakfast.

I was bit anxious about mosquitoes, but the backwaters are brackish (salty) water, so even at night there was no issue with bites.

My room was newly refursbished, spacy and comfortable. A large window overlooking park and pool, a good mattress and a spacious bathroom came with it. The service was great and everbody we met from reception to restaurant was friendly.

Only downside was the musical taste - apparently catering to western tourists a potbourri of western musics plays in the lifts, and a local combo played western music at the restaurant. It is a question of taste, but to me this is oddly out of place in Kerala, India...

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your patronage and kind remarks on our property. We appreciate your positive remarks about my colleagues and I have passed the message to them. We are happy to learn that you were able to capture the true essence of God's Own Country during your stay. The music we play is as per Le Meridien brand standards and is mandatory at all Le Meridien hotels, however we would love to incorporate the Kerala Themed music. Once again thank you for your encouragement.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Tower block rooms are huge and well appointed but STINK. It is also a miserable boat ride on the other side of a swampy river. Takes forever to get baggage across. Do be fooled into going across there especially if u are at a conference. My wife finally through a fit to get us relocated - and they all know about the smell in the tower block! Food at the restaurant was good - way better than the conference food! Not much to do in Cochin and to be frank I would skip this town and hotel altogether.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Tower block!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the hotel. We regret the inconviences caused during your stay and have shared with my team here to take all corrective measures at the earliest to collectively provide the best services to our guests. During conferences the organisers book the hotel and we confirm the rooms as per their specific block with respect to the main building and tower block, however we wish to share with you that the entire hotel is under a refurbishment plan and we assure you that you would experience a positive change on your next visit to Kochi. We request your patronage and the pleasure to host you in future.
Regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First of all, it is an extremely well laid out and well located facility. But once you stay there, you wonder why should Starwood lend its name to such a badly managed facility. Corridors have a bad musty smell, rooms always have sometime or the other not working, housekeeping takes for ever to respond, and the restaurant is completely understaffed and are not able to cater to the diners - even when the hotel is not full.

Best part was that in the gym, when I asked for water, the attendent started by pointing me to a water cooler outside the gym from where I could drink. When I asked for bottled water as I will need to sip while running on treadmill, he says the bottle will cost, which I agreed to bear. Then he gets me a one litre bottle and keeps it next to the treadmill on the floor!! I failed to understand how I would sip water like that while running unless I stop everytime I needed to sip some water. So I gave up, asked him to take the water away, thanked him and moved on.

I was the second senior most among the group of 30 odd of us in a conference there. I asked to meet the GM, but never got to meet him. I askd for feedback form, but never got it. Even the feedback link that normally comes after completion of stay in a SPG hotel has not come in. I didn't know what to say to the young lady who met me at the time of check-out and asked me how my stay was and would I recommend the hotel to my friends!! I just told her to look around to see how bad the things are before asking this question. As I could see from her puzzled face, I am sure she didn't get what I was trying to say to her.

We had read not so great reviews of the hotel, but I overruled my team who was recommending another place, and we came after specifically telling the hotel that your reviews are not too great and after being assured that we will be taken good care of.

Room Tip: A room where everything works!! And get a ginie to predict that...
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and used all the services it offers. The property is huge, rooms are clean, breakfast options were sufficient, pool was maintained and staff was perfect. The only downside was for people who were in the Tower Suites and had to take a boat everytime to reach the main lobby. Thankfully, I was in the main building itself. There were some little things like the blind musicians in the lobby, the Art Corridor, the prompt impeccable service.... I really liked the place. Some suggestions are to upgrade their toiletries (shampoo and conditioner were of 3 star quality), TV clarity (time to go digital) and a-la-carte food prices (700 for Dal Fry).

One incident was a little disturbing though. My friend has a terrible Long Island Tea hangover and puked in his room. The bedsheet supposedly got damaged due to the puke and he was asked to pay it during check-out. The manager finally waived off the fine but it was a trivial thing to have been pointed out in public during check-out. All's well that ends well.

Room Tip: Go for the main building, not the Tower Suites. Boat ride is exotic for a few times but nerve wracki...
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed in this branded hotel for three days in November . It is different all together . Typical Kerala decorations in lobby. The rooms are away from main hotel and accessible only on boat. Rooms are o k but odd sized and small drawing room , with T V and coffee machine. Breakfast is adequate with wonderful view. Room keycard was always a problem and you have to call for assistance either to replace or to open. The conference halls are very good . The gardens are well maintained. It is really horrible to see that lot of crows were flying and picking up food items at their will in the dining hall and staff were not doing anything. Why can't the hotel put a NET to prevent the crows? It was odd to SHARE food from the same bowls that crows pick up. Going to reach room on a motor boat was different but the smell of stinking water was bad. Why not the hotel put a wooden bridge as they put to reach from hotel to Boat stand ? It not only gives stroll to the inmates and also save pollution of water and air while boat is leaving lot of smoke in air & diesel in water.They can ask the local authorities to permit them to construct wooden bridge citing & saving Environment & pollution .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We, a Team of about 18-20 people, had a conference of three nights in this Hotel. The hotel property is good and clean. What was striking was the Fantastic Service we got there. Every staff member, be it from housekeeping or restaurant - every one had a very customer centric apporach and were very willing to serve.

Restaurant, Treasure Trove, had a very good spread of buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant staff was very prompt and made every guest, at least from our group, feel very important.

The rooms had very good view of Greenery all around.

I enjoyed my stay in the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the room is on, view would be more enjoyable.
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your patronage and kind feedback regarding our property and our associates. We are happy to learn that you were able to capture the true ensence of the state during your stay. I have passed your appreciations to my colleagues. We wish to have the pleasure to serve you again in future.
Kochi (Cochin), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Taj residency is a 5 star hotel in Kochi. It has been renamed as Taj Gateway I haven’t stayed at this hotel. But i have been to the Bubble cafe here. Its a uniquely shaped restaurant and the menu here offers some very good sea foods. I went there as part of a business meeting. Also the whole hotel has a unique ambience. The view of sunset from this hotel is really amazing. Its situated at Marine Drive in Kochi. You can view the cochin shipyard and the vast Vembanad Lake from here. Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala has selected the Taj Gateway Hotel in Kochi as the best five-star hotel for 2009-10 in Kerala. The hotel has been receiving this award from the past six years. Bubble Café is a fun café offering all-day casual dining and multiple cuisines.If you are looking for a business hotel in Kochi, Taj Residency is
undoubtedly the best hotel as of this writing. This is located in the city with easy access to airport and railway station. I had a wonderful time there and i hope everyone will enjoy it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Le Meridien Kochi? Share your experiences!