“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Steventon
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I stopped here for a few nights in April on business. The location for me was brilliant as I was only working down the road, but it is located off the main road and very quiet.

The rooms I stayed in were located in the rear standalone building, rooms were clean enough for me, but then again I am not that fussy. As long as the bed is clean, and bathroom is clean, it does me. Only downside to the rooms were that they were really hot, even with windows open all night.

Service in the hotel was really good. Check in was fast, as was checkout. The restaurant food was really nice too.

Shea was very accommodating and knew what she was doing, could tell she will be future restaurant management material given the chance. They always managed to fulfil my fussy needs when it come to my meals, as I am very picky eater and they accommodated me well.

With me being on business I was able to charge things direct to my room and didn't have to part with any money which was great and easy.

Breakfast in the mornings was really nice again. Full choice of food, from hot and cold, to cereals and toast etc. You just help yourself to what you want.

Overall, enjoyed my stay and would return back if working down there again.

• Stayed April 2013
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for leaving your review.
I am really glad that we were able to make your stay such a good one and delighted to be able to pass on your feedback to Shea.
We hope to see you back soon.
Gavin Webster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned from spending the night here after a wedding near by. We were given a room at the rear of the house in a small block. Thats what it looked like from the outside a housing block! Initially upon entering through the door there was a very strong smell of damp and our hearts sank! However once we got into our room things got better, the room was a standard de vere room with a comfy bed and a very very large clock in the bathroom on the wall! I suppose thats just in case you needed to know the time while in the shower/bath?

A word of warning to you all when you ask the reception to book a taxi for you please be aware there is a surcharge added by the taxi firm and after a 5 mile journey a extra £5 was added to the ride! Needless to say we did not pay this as we were not aware of it!!

After a nice sleep we ambled over to have our breakfast and has to be said it was the best breakfast we have had at a hotel in years! It was a buffet fried breakfast and tea and coffee delivered to the table straight away! Lovely!

Dropped 2 stars for the housing block and the added charge to the taxi which we hadnt been told about!

Room Tip: Dont go to the block at the rear of the manor!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
I have investigated the odour in the Garden Wing and we are working to eliminate this. I am glad that you could see past the exterior of the building and had a good night.

We do have a regular taxi firm that we call as they can usually guarantee a car when it is needed, however they do reserve the right to levy their own charges, completely independently of the hotel. We will of course use another firm if guests are not happy with the quoted fare. I apologise if you weren’t told of their fare in advance.

My breakfast team were delighted with your comments regarding your breakfast and they are always pleased to receive such positive feedback.

I hope we can welcome you back to Milton Hill in the future.
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed here in march and was a good price for 2 nights, we stayed in the annex which was next to the main hotel. Bedroom nice with comfy bed. If you pay for your breckfast's on arrival it's cheaper than paying each morning and it was a great way to start the day. We stayed here so we could visit Oxford but was a bit way out. But would stay there again. Had no complaints staff nice and plenty of tea & coffe stations around were you get it free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am glad you had a nice stay with us and took advantage of the advance purchase breakfast, certainly an easy way to make a saving.
My reception team can provide directions, public transport suggestions etc for guest wishing to visit the beautiful city of Oxford, guests can be in Oxford in 20 minutes and I would urge future guests to pop to reception to take advantage of their local knowledge.

Wallingford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just had a great two night stay meeting up with friends. The staff were very helpful and answered all our needs. Dinner in the evening was excellent with a wide range of well cooked food, professionally served. Drinks were on the expensive side but about average for this class of hotel. The grounds were looking lovely with all the daffodils out. We were in the manor house block so had a large room and huge bathroom. Congratulations to Gavin for making it all run smoothly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back soon.
Wimbledon, London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

In all honesty, I would probaly give this 3.5 stars. Lovely location and gererally nice buildings and gadens with plenty of activities on site (the bedroom block, though, is very ugly on first sight). Food was good and the consensus (of about 20 of us) was that we would come back. However, it is let down with a few small niggly things. There was a "hole" under the carpet in my (small) bedroom floor, no "knob" on the end of plunger on my bathroom sink - this made it very difficult to close and even by pushing down by hand, it was not water tight, and why can't one turn the towel rail off - the room was far too warm with warm pipes under the carpet - nice in winter perhaps. I could imagine the place excellent for weddings and for weekends away for both couples and families

Room Tip: If you are in the bedroom block, make sure you have an even number room. My room overlooked daffodi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and can confirm that my maintenance team have made the necessary adjustments to your room to rectify the issues you raise.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend or a friends wedding. My wife, child and I.

When I phoned to book the room I mentioned that we needed room to put up a cot. Think this may have been a blessing. (More on that later)

The location is nice enough, a country house set in a few acres. Nice old building and Italian style courtyard and a small cottage. But also, a nasty looking bedroom block. It soon became nicknamed 'cell block h'

Our room wasn't ready when we went to check in so we went to the grooms bedroom to wait. His was in the cell block h and was a small ground floor bedroom overlooking the carpark. He wasn't very happy about it and had it changed. (Too close to the carpark for his liking)

At this point I was a little worried as the room was clearly not big enough to fit a cot without sacrificing any freedom at all!

When we got checked in we were pleasantly surprised to find we got put in the cottage which was much nicer and bigger. I think it's put aside for the elderly as it was easier to access

The food was good. Apart from the tandoori chicken which didn't appear to have any residue of tandoori on it!

The bar seemed a little pricey. £4.10 for a bottle of Peroni. So a pint and a small glass of wine came to just under a tenner. But you come to expect this from hotels.

All the staff seemed very helpful and friendly. At one point I needed to borrow a microwave for bottle sterilisation. They had no problem sorting this out for me.

The bed was very comfy. The pool area, although looking a little tired, was nice.

One of the best things of the whole hotel was the 'coffee stations' dotted around the grounds where you can help yourself to tea and coffee. And not just standard coffee, but nice latte and other better than average coffees.

Breakfast was pretty good. Better than the standard buffet cooked breakfast. Sausages were good and the eggs not too rubbery.

The only problem I did have was that the morning we were to leave there seemed to be no hot water for a shower. But the manger was very understanding and have us some money off the bill as a way of apology.

• Stayed April 2013
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I am glad you had an enjoyable stay, hope the wedding celebrations went well.
We did have an issue with one of our boilers on the morning in question which I am glad to say has been resolved and am pleased that my team were able to rectify matters for you.
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My 4 children and I have just had the most fantastic evening away at Milton Hill House Hotel. The room was beautiful and had the most amazing bathroom, the service was excellent and the little touches like sweets & treats in the coffee bar area for the children, news papers freely available and fresh coffee points around the hotel just made it extra special.

The 3 course dinner menu included in the package was first rate and there was something for everyone including my daughter who is Gluten Free. We didn't even have to ask for anything to be specially prepared for her as the menu was fully annotated and had Gluten Free options. There was also Gluten free cereal openly supplied for breakfast.

The spa/swimming pool was lovely, we all had fun and then enjoyed playing on the Wii in our room.

Wendy Compton, arranged everything perfectly and the staff as a whole were really polite and helpful making us feel just as important as the wedding happening at the same time.

Can't wait to go back, we have had afternoon tea there before and now the night away I would thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 312, an amazing super kingsized bed, a super kingsize bathroom and a super kingsiz...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest
I am so glad that you all had a lovely stay here at Milton Hill, we look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.
Gavin Webster

Been to Milton Hill House - De Vere Venue? Share your experiences!