“Great food and lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars

You added Talbot Inn to your Saves list
Talbot Inn
Newnham Bridge, Tenbury Wells WR15 8JF, England   |
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great food and lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I am a regular visitor at The Talbot and felt compelled to write after reading the other comments. Since the refurbishment, I would class the establishment as a "Gastropub" that serves high quality food in a relaxed and classy atmosphere. In line with other gastropubs, the food is clearly fresh and made to order and whilst I understand other comments regarding the wait, I would rather wait a little longer for freshly made food than microwaved mass produced ready meals, as so often found in restaurants these days. The staff are always attentive and even on a busy weekend evening, greet customers with a warm welcome and a smile! I will continue to frequent The Talbot and hope business continues to thrive!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Talbot Inn. It is great to hear that you enjoy our food and find the staff friendly and attentive - they all work extremely hard and are all desperate for the Talbot to succeed. You are absolutely spot on with your assessment of why some times when we have 80 odd covers in a evening there can be a wait for food - because everything we serve is fresh and freshly cooked to order. No microwave pinging and hey presto food! We are passionate about producing great food using local fresh produce and will continue to stick to this! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great food and an amazing refurb (looks great), could make portions a little bigger for the price... Service was very Bad, really need to step it up a gear to make it a successful business or sadly I can see a lot of upset customers who will not return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Great to hear you rate our food and enjoyed the interior of the Talbot. Sorry you weren't happy with the service - shame you didn't highlight this when you dined with us. Please do feel free to call me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to talk this through with you. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner
Ludlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Teething problems only: wood burner nearly out on our arrival and radiator turned off - but first impressions stay with you! Starters could be better presented and they had run out of mussels.
But by the time we were on our main courses we were warm and consequently really sold on the place.
We had Sunday lunch and it was good to see so many people arriving after 2pm - a very civilised time to eat on Sunday. Superb choice not limited to "roast" and nicely presented. Excellent chef - bream cooked to perfection and for once somebody who knows the importance of melt in the mouth crackling with pork which was tender.
Lots of smart but cosy places to eat and drink. Next time we will sit with our drink in one of them before sitting in the restaurant.
For somebody who hates background music (thump, thump, thump...), I must congratulate whoever it be for the excellent choice of light jazz. It really added to the ambience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Sunday lunch at the Talbot Inn. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our food, particularly the sea bream and roast pork. We are lucky to have an excellent team in the kitchen who really do go the extra mile to make sure our customers are satisfied. Apologies about the wood burner - I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point and shall be passing this onto the management team. On your next visit we shall certainly be aiming for five stars!
Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is the second time my wife and I lunched at the Talbot. All started well with two pints of Robinsons cider arriving immediately followed by the menus and we were able to place our orders within five minutes followed by the arrival of complimentary breads, then there was a nearly 40 minute wait for the starters, mine was some well cooked welsh mussels in a very good white wine sauce while my wife enjoyed the hot goats cheese salad. We both then had the well cooked fish and chips. We decided against the uninspiring range of deserts and paid the £40.70 bill. The problem here is not with the slick front of house but with the chaotic kitchen . We shall return but they need to get their act together.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent lunch with us. I am glad you enjoyed the fresh mussels and the rest of your meal but sorry to hear you felt you had to wait too long for your starter to arrive. I agree 40 minutes is too long however we do advise, as all our food is cooked freshly to order, that there will normally be a 20-25 minute wait, particularly during busy periods such as lunch. We look forward to welcoming you back and please do ask for myself, Joe or Holly the next time. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a great meal at The Talbot, we were impressed by the 'proper' children's menu. The staff were polite and attentive, steaks and burgers were as good as we've eaten anywhere.

Looking forward to our next trip, maybe an evening without the kids!

• Stayed February 2013
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent lunch at the Talbot Inn and rated our children's menu. We have tried to put together a fairly comprehensive children's menu with a variety of freshly cooked dishes. We look forward to welcoming you back - perhaps in the evening next time! Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Our first visit since the re-opening. We walked in and no 'Good evening' or acknowledgement of any kind. Two staff discussing a bill and problems behind the bar. We waited and waited. In the end my husband said 'can we have some attention please'. No apology for keeping us waiting. No smiles or friendliness. Did not ask if we were dining. My husband said we had booked for a meal. We ordered drinks and sat down. At no tme were we told how to order our meal. Staff kept wizzing backwards and forwards. In the end we asked if we had to go to the bar or if someone would come to us. All a bit dissapointing as the decor is superb. One member of staff was obviously unhappy about something and kept having little conversations in corners with other staff, Not what you want when you go out for an evening. The food was lovely no complaints there. I work in the service industry and feel that the staff need more training in customer care. As anothe reviewer has stated 'would I go back' yes I would, but not in a hurry. We have lots of really good eateries in Tenbury and just the lovely decor would not encourage me to eat there rather than other superb pubs, The Rose and Crown, The Pembroke for starters.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent trip to the Talbot. Obvioulsy I am really pleased you enjoyed the food and the newly refurbished building however, I am more disappointed that you didn't have the 'customer experience' which you should have had. I can only apologise fo this and add that the service side of our business is something we are constantly working on and striving to improve. Customer feedback is important to us so please do feel free to contact me directly at the Talbot. Otherwise, I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Talbot Inn in the near future. Ian Dowling, owner.
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Being old school ie,brought up to be polite,my initial impresion of the the Talbot was a general disinterest in the customer .My greeting and smile for the the bar man was totally ignored, my pint was served short and I had to request it be filled. Anyway thats how it is, so lets move on. The general atmospere in the Inn is Superb, the decore finished to the highest standard,a pleasure to enter the toilets,beauitiful oak doors, fittings and fixtures. The patrons of the inn appeared to be a happy lot .We all felt the food though adventurous was,not memorable The 10 chips I needed to buy to make a decent meal were awful I think frozen at some time in there short life and very expensive at £2.20. They did send us off with a great cup of cofee and thanks for that . Would I go back? occasionaly but to drive past the Ship in Tenbury would make me think.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Talbotinnnewnhambrid, Owner at Talbot Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Talbot Inn. I am really pleased you enjoyed the refurbishment of the inn and delighted you identified the high quality finish within the inn i.e. solid oak doors etc.However, I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy our chips - I can assure you they are freshly cut every day and not frozen. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to theTalbot and next time please do ask for me or our senior management team, Joe or Lucy. Kind regards, Ian Dowling, owner.

Been to Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!