“Standards Slipping ?” 3 of 5 stars

Description: Owner - Tom Rogers
Cheshire, England
“Standards Slipping ?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

101's used to stand above the rest in Stockton Heath and was a "go to" restaurant. It's still quite good but is no longer the first place you think of going to.

Consequently when our recent visit exposed us to slow service and cold (that shouldn't have been) desserts I have to say it hasn't enhanced my perception of decline. Reducing our bill, without being asked, by over £25 was a fine gesture but the damage was done.

Maybe it's still packed out at weekends but it appears to have lost it's edge and needs to get it back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have used this restaurant frequently in the past and generally enjoyed it. Some months ago I had a late Sunday lunch, the beef, and was very disappointed but thought perhaps it was because it was very late afternoon. Deciding to give the benefit of the doubt I visited again on Sunday for early lunch. I am afraid it did not fare much better; a cut of pork which was far too thick but, more importantly, was extremely dry and quite tasteless, the veg were average and the roast potatoes poor.

Perhaps better to try the ordinary lunch menu and give the Sunday roast a miss.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Not up to usual standard!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

8 of us booked dinner early evening Sunday13th. Had pre ordered Carve your Own but told quite forcibly we hadn't! Presented with the standard Sunday lunch, which was OK but not what we were expecting. We also waited over 45 minutes for sweet course to arrive and suspect we might have been there now if we hadn't chased up the order (twice). We were given some reductions on the final bill, but that did nothing to change the fact that the overall experience was, at best, average.
This was not what we have experienced at Tom's previously, so hope that it was just a "one off"!!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Garry R, General Manager at Tom at 101, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
HI John,

I was the manager on duty last Sunday and apologize if you felt I was forceful in explaining our telephone conversation and how I explained our interactions over the phone.
Once again I aopologize if you felt that your order was taken incorrectly and I have fed back to all staff memebers that if a customer calls up and orders beef check back and see if Beef means the DIY Carvery or the roast beef that we have on the menu.
Regarding the sweets we have looked into that and as I explained on the night this was due to a printer malfunction in the kitchen which has since been resolved.

Once again I apologiose for any inconvienience or trouble that was caused on the evening and hope to see you again.

Kind regards

Garry Reid
Tom @101
stretton cheshire
“evening meal sunday”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I went out for an evening meal with my husband. We chose to go with the two meals for £14.95. Unfortunately the majority of the options had ran out and we were not told this before looking at the menu. We ended up with the duck salad and prawns with pitta. My husband had the prawns and said they were very nice. I can't say the same for my duck salad. It had two small pieces of duck with iceburg lettuce and raw chilli. Not very nice to eat and not really a pleasant take on a duck salad. My husband then had a burger which was OK but the chip portion seems to of become smaller. I had the seabass and again very small fillets with oozing spinach. Overall not the best which is a shame because we have been before and really enjoyed the food. Portions much smaller with prices the same and even though we went for the package option still felt a little robbed.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
“Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

First time at Toms on a Sunday have to say you can't fault it! First class service, delicious hot food, and excellent value, thanks Toms ..

Visited September 2013