“They have got it spot on right” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A lovely welcoming gastropub with excellent a la carte menu and vegetarian menu. In a village a few miles outside Plymouth, lovely walled garden and lawned area. Extensive wine list and real ale. Log fire. Dog friendly. Function room available for parties and events. Wonderful place to come for special meals and freshly cooked food.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“They have got it spot on right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We visited 6 weeks ago and of 10 nights in the area we ate there on 4 of them. The food was good, nicely cooked, well presented and the drinks were a little over normal pub prices. This time out of 5 nights in the area we ate here on 3 of them. Food still good etc.
A lot of the appeal must go down to the staff. They are young yes but so good at their work with no typical young persons attitude about giving service. They greet you on arrival with a genuine smile and a cheerful comment.
Try the between 6pm and 7pm menu which is 2 courses for £10. Three for £13. Really good value.
Two small problems to get in the way though. One is that the seating is in dire need of replacement as the upholstery is sagging and sometimes it is very uncomfortable. The second is that there seems to be a problem with finger or thumb prints on the plates.

• Visited October 2011

Roslyn Heights, New York
“One of the Best Pubs in Devon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

The Rose and Crown offers consistently great food and never disappoints.
Go early as this pub books up quickly or you will find yourself sitting in the bar area and this can be a bit nosy. I have eaten at the Rose and Crown three times and always been pleased with the friendly staff and high quality of the food. First visit was for lunch and it was delicious with pork roast, garlic potatoes and fresh green beans.....everything was wonderful.....topped off with ice cream that made me ask for another dish of ice cream .....Second time was in the bar area and while this was nosy, the cozy atmosphere of a sunken fireplace area with two dogs taking a nap under the table, made me feel like I was in someone's home.....all dogs are well behaved and look like they are enjoying themselves. As a visiting American i was delighted with the idea of having dogs come in to the pub. Once again, the food was superb....the third visit, we ate in the outdoor garden area and it was beautiful. There is a relaxing fountain to make the area even more pleasant.....we ordered steak and potatoes, and green vegetables....it was absolutely delicious.....and we also treated ourselves to a "sampler" plate of several different kinds of desserts.......once again, everything was just wonderful......I would highly recommend the Rose and Crown to anyone visiting this beautiful area of England where hospitality and good food are at their best.

• Visited September 2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Visited thispub 3 years ago and it was awful. Just shows how the feet can give voice to ones objections. Recently heard that a new person had taken over and that the place had improved.Always the sceptic but I gave it a try. We were greeted at the bar by girl tha was serving at the time. We were shown to our table and left to peruse the menu. We opted for the 2 courses for £10. The starter was excellent, I had fish and my partner had soup.
Main course was extremely good with a generous portion. Not I add huge but adequate and good value. Well cooked and nicely presented. Drinks were about the usual prices which always seem excessive where ever I go.
Just three small things that were not quite right. The first was the thumb or finger marks on the edge of the plates, the second was the chairs. They have seen a lot of service and most were in dire need of replacement or reupholstering. The first one I sat on actually gave me back ache because the seat sagged so much. The third was the fact that the same set menu was produced 2 evenings running.
In our 10 day stay we ate here 4 times which for me was unprecedented.
The staff worked as a team with each waitress or waiter serving a table as required and they were all knowledgable about the menu, they were all well mannered and pleasant.

• Visited September 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

After much deliberating we went with friends to the Rose & Crown, Yealmpton to celebrate a birthday. We were pleasantly surprised - when the four of us go out for a meal, at least one of us is disappointed with some part, usually the quality of the food.Not this time though! The starters were of a good size and the soup very tasty. Two of us had the rump of lamb, for the main course and I must say it was delicious - melt in mouth and very tastefully presented. My only problem was the size of the dessert - I chose sticky toffee pudding and it was huge ! Lovely and sticky and very rich, but just too much for me. Two of the party had a shared dessert - now that looked absolutely great, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Rose & Crown and will definitely return.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plymouth
“Absolutely fabulous, but don't just take my word for it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

I love this pub, gastropub. I have just had lunch here and the food was superb. I ate from the lunch menu whilst my family ate from the a la carte one. No difference between the two except the price was cheaper off the lunch menu. Naturally the al a carte menu had more choice but all of the food is cooked and presented to a very high standard and of course tastes delicous.

I recommend this place very highly. It has plenty of parking, a lovely garden area for outdoor eating and drinking. The service was exceptionally good from the bar to the table.

• Visited August 2011