“The surprise in "Room number 2".” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Black Bull Hotel

The Black Bull Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wark
The Black Bull Hotel
You added The Black Bull Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street, Wark NE48 3LG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wark
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The surprise in "Room number 2".”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Black Bull Hotel was our final destination in the quiet, beautiful and charming town of Wark. It was exactly the sort of town that me and my girlfriend look for on a weekend away. The classic cottage and blue sky look that hides within the more tranquil areas of England. I knew it was going to be a lovely weekend. We parked up on the village square and first went to check in at the hotel before bringing our luggage. The building itself sits well with the surrounding landscape and has a really homely appearance. We opened the front doors and were straight into the bar by the barkeeper who gave us a friendly greeting and put all things aside the second we walked through the door (although the place wasn't heaving to be fair). The customers of the pub alone were of the same demographic: Old-aged Farmer Men. The customers of the hotel above were of the same demographic: Retired couples. So it gives you a sense of the pleasant and peaceful atmosphere. Anyway, we had given our details and were then guided past the bar, up the stairs and to the first door on the right. Room number 2. We were told beforehand that this was the best room available (and later on we discovered quite a few rooms were available). We were led into the room and were instantly greeted by an unexpected bad odor. It was a weird smell that I can't put any cause to. It only came from this room in particular after further inspection. The second thing I noticed came from the feel of the carpet. It was a thick grey carpet that really stood out in the hall amongst the more feminine purple walls. Anyway, we were only in the hallway and were judging too fast. First door on the right was the bedroom. It, unfortunately, was another surprise. My girlfriend had booked this hotel and I was going into it without seeing photos but I assumed it would be the classic, neat, hotel room look which always feels so inviting. Granted, this is a pub hotel but that's no reason to ignore aesthetics entirely. But after seeing the bedroom I have abandoned that naive assumption I've always made going into a hotel. Firstly the size of the room was too small for the bed and the wardrobe to fit gracefully. Instead it looked like the bedroom was simply a storage room for some spare furniture. I saw an open door right by the head of the bed which at first glance I assumed was a bathroom, but then turned out to be a tiny kitchen. It was cool having an oven in a hotel room but then we had no use for it as there were no pots, pans or trays. I'm pretty sure there was no cutlery too....but that is just probably my half thought embellishment. A particular annoyance from the kitchen was that it had no door. So I was staring at a cooker while getting to sleep. The bedroom walls were plain white and had pencil marks and dirt across them. Now into the lounge. Yes a lounge! Wasn't expecting that! It had couches and a TV which was awesome! However the design of the lounge was startling. I didn't want to offend the woman guiding us into it with such pride but I couldn't help look a little confused at the choice of literally every design detail within the room. It can only be described as cheap, tacky goth. It was genuinely strange. What I saw were clashes of a thick grey carpet with plain black and purple walls, grey leather couches, shiny grey curtains and a random bed behind the couch. Yes a plain white bed just sat in the corner pretending it wasn't there. It was hilarious. The only good find was the toilet room. I replace "bath" with "toilet" because there was no bath. Just a shower cubicle. Didn't look awful and we enjoyed our break from the other rooms with a distracting shower. Another plus was that we kind of managed to ignore the weird smell after a while and when it got dark the rooms didn't look too bad because the lights in the room were so dim it was almost pointless having them on. Nonetheless we could sit back and enjoy a good film on the TV. However we had to turn it up quite high because of the noise from downstairs jukebox. The floors must be very thin because we could hear the music from the jukebox very clearly and loudly. Which then became more troublesome as we went to bed. I'm very impressed with myself for managing to fall asleep with the blasting sounds of a jukebox playing til I don't know when in the morning. So that was the first night and we were up and ready for some breakfast. The dining area isn't impressive but it isn't terrible. And as for the service, I couldn't complain. The staff were all great and there is nothing bad to say of them. They weren't too pretentious and disinterested and they weren't too in your face and annoying. The breakfast was a basic full English and was fairly tasty. Breakfast wasn't bad. And that pretty much concludes the overall stay. Me and my girlfriend should probably have had the guts to get all our stuff together and requested a different room as some of them didn't look bad and probably weren't directly above the jukebox. I must say however if you're reading this and still going, don't accept room number 2 (unless it's been improved).

Room Tip: Don't choose room number 2.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Menston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night break at the Black Bull in Wark with our dog Robson

The stay was very enjoyable & we were made to feel most welcome.

The staff are an absolute credit to the owners (who were away on holiday when we stayed)

The rooms are clean & the food was good & reasonably priced.

Its refreshing to stay firstly where dogs are genuinely accepted & secondly where rooms are cleaned to ensure your stay is made all the more enjoyable.

A couple of guests mentioned noise in the late evening, but given the high temperatures, all windows were open, some people forget this very much a local pub!!. That said our room was at the front of the hotel & we were not disturbed.

The place in my opinion is great value & is well positioned for lots of local activities……& if course a beautiful part of the country…..perfect!!....will defo be returning…..Many thanks to all at the Black Bull Hotel!!

Room Tip: If a Quiet room is preferred ask for one at the front of Hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have just returned from a 3 day stay for 99 pounds through groupon and had a really lovely time there, the staff were very friendly,the rooms were nice and clean and you get a good sized breakfast to set you up for the day. The village was in a good position for a base to go from to see the sites also there is a very nice river walk you can do from the village There are areas that need improvement but they are trying to address that but like everything it takes time and money, they need people to support them. We would not hesitate to stay there again , it is a lovely pub in a lovely village in a lovely area with plenty to see.[as regards the noise we stayed Mid week and did not here any noise from the bar].

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Like a similar review, room clean but that's all it had going for it.

The bar area is not very welcoming. Yesterday (Wimbledon final) with our first hope of winning for 8 decades.... the TV was showing the match but it had to battle with the blaring juke box - we went next door to the Gray Bull Hotel then on to Newcastle to watch it!

Manager (presume he was.... difficult to tell these days, covered in tatts and wearing a tee-shirt vest) friendly and very obliging. Free bottle of wine with the Groupon deal is hideous (think £3 from Asda) and breakfast absolutely bog standard. Not even a menu to choose from. Think white toast as standard.

Worried about the pounding music from the bar but thankfully went off at 10.45pm
Two small points : TV in the room is the size of a postage stamp and Wark gives no mobile phone signal.

They advertise it as £100 a night per room........... even at the £59 Groupon rate they are chancing their luck!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Was a little bit worried as I'd seen the reviews on here before we went- but although the points mentioned in previous reviews are apparent- they're no way near as bad as described, and when you think about what you're getting, for the price, I think some people need to be more realistic. (I assume everyone staying here is on Wowcher or Groupon?!) basically, £40 per night for the 2 of us. A pokey B&B would have been minimum £60 a night nearby, so get real everybody!
We arrived on the Friday night, and were shown to our room. We had the family room, which was, erm, interesting! Rooms were spectacularly clean, shower was exceptionally powerful, bed comfy, but the decor leaves something to the imagination!! Bedroom very tasteful, but the 'living room' was somewhat an eye-sore, to the extend we decided to stay out of it! It had the feeling that we were in my student flat from yesteryear- with odd leather sofa, black wall and purple feature wall... All on chipboard. The TV was in there, was a good size, but no DVD player, in case you were looking forward to that... Didn't bother us though, as we weren't there to watch TV. Noise wasn't really an issue, and while we were there they had a live band, which had finished by 11. Was a good band, and didn't disturb us. After the band left I wasn't aware of any pub activity on either night.
Breakfasts were nice and a good portion. Lots of choice of cereal.
So yes, you will have a nice stay here, it's great and cosy- sorry I nagged about the decor, but it was the only gripe :)
We hope to return.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a two day break here and were very impressed, the staff, room, food and location was superb.Well worth a visit.
Can't wait to go again. The village is an absolute gem, with the village green looking great. The Black Bull has a history by photographs on its wall - brilliant.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Coldstream, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I had a 2-night stay at this hotel very recently. We thought it was absolutely great. The room was clean and very comfortable, the breakfasts were lovely (a good start to the day) and the staff were very helpful and friendly. To be fair, there was a bit of noise from the bar at night but, it's a pub - what can you expect - and it didn't bother us at all. We had a problem with a flat tyre on our car and they very quickly found someone that had an inflator we could borrow - great service. We had also decided to get the bus into Hexham and enquired with staff about the timetable - the owner, Kevin, overheard and kindly offered to take us in as he was just about drive there. For a pleasant stay in a cosy village Pub/B&B, this is ideal and the location is perfect. I'm sure we'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Black Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!