“Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here on business for one night in January 2014. This hotel is part of the De Vere group so expectations were high, and I was not disappointed. The room I had was clean, modern and well equipped, with comfortable bed and power shower. The bar is relaxed, and food very good quality. For the price I paid of £39, a bargain!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear TheSmallCheese
Thank you for your recent posting as a seasoned traveller and contributor to Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to read you had a great stay with us and exceeded expectations.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Nathan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here 2 nights 15th/ 16th Jan. When you arrive you have to go through airport type security to get through the gate??? Why??? The drive up gives a great impression of the place and the frontage of the hotel is quite inviting. The entrance and reception is smart and I was seen quickly and efficiently. Going up to my room on the first floor I notice the dreadful state of the carpets - filthy and in serious need of a clean. The room was of a reasonable size but the decor was tired and in need of attention. there was a grey chair in the room that did not match the rest of the decor and was covered in stains??. Bathroom was good but the towel rail heater did not work. i reported this to reception who said it would be fixed asap - I'm still waiting!! The worse part of this room was the windows!!!The room was on a corner part of the building and the wind howled through the extremely ill fitting windows. They seriously need URGENT attention. It was extremely drafty despite some decent thick curtains and a good room heater. The bar was fine but a little pricey. The restaurant food was good but quite limited in what's on offer. Breakfast is fine - all you can eat - however, I asked the waitress for Earl Grey tea - but got ordinary. I asked her to get me the correct tea and I still got ordinary AGAIN!!
This hotel does not have a spa or swimming pool - both of which would have been nice.

To sum up: This place is fine for a couple of nights stay if you are on business - which i was. Luckily my firm paid for the B&B stay. However had I been paying for it myself i would not be happy. The location and appearance gives the impression of something quite grand - however, don't be fooled, as it is not. This hotel could be sooo much more than it is. More attention to detail could lift this hotel off the bottom rung of the ladder.

Room Tip: Find a room in a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear TechRobin
I am pleased you found this Venue fine for a couple of nights stay if you are on business and be assured will look into the comments you have left.
In answer to the question of why a security gate on entry to the site; the Venue is located on a gated community of executive houses and this security is for those houses and of course adds great benefits to my guests.
The bedrooms and corridors are down to be upgraded at some point this year which address the concerns you have.
We have been upgrading bedroom windows this week and will carry on doing more through out the year.
There is no excuse that earl grey tea was not served as we stock so many differing teas on our free coffee energy stations.
The addition of a swimming pool and Spa would be good although we don't advertise we have them.
Thank you for your comments and am sorry you did not make yourself known whilst at the Venue. Nathan.
Bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Got a fantastic value overnight (friday) deal, lovely room, breakfast, delicious 3 course meal, bottle of wine for £69. Worth that just for the meal and wine really.
Staff mostly friendly and helpful.
We had room 134, nice, quiet, little balcony overlooking golf club. Bed very comfy. Only snags for me .... bathroom grout needs attention. Find this a lot in hotels ...a quick wipe down isnt enough and it's a shame really, spoilt an otherwise acceptable bathroom. Also ... tea coffee etc in room were cheap brands, on saying that, we didnt use them, helped ourselves to a latte downstairs ! And toiletry offering is very basic. I guess being mainly business and golf (i.e, blokes!)
Restaurant ... great menu, very good food. Small snags, mainly at breakfast, not enough staff on, we went unnoticed for ages even though we checked in.. and no butter, only marge. Yuck. Waitress looked confused as to why it mattered and brought a pot of marge to look like butter.... A real shame because with better service that would have been a 5* breakfast.
Final snag...could not get a cold white wine! However the glass i ordered in the bar was replaced (at 7.70 a glass i can't stomach it room temp!) And waitress put the bottle in restaurant on ice then in freezer for me which was much appreciated. Serving wine correctly is a basic and again, the dinner itself could have been 5*.
Will definitely return, plan to bring friends, possibly treat parents, and hubby plans a boys night for golf, they do some attractive offers.
We had a nice rest and relax and the snags i mention are so easily remedied and I know the manager reads these.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear onlyme83
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased to see overall you had a good stay with us.
Please be assured I will follow through on your comments such as bathroom grouting, breakfast check backs and chilling of wine sufficiently.
I do hope I do see you back at sometime. Nathan.
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife has been working very hard with the family, and she needed a break. I have stayed at this venue before whilst running training courses I booked a two night break in a twin room, value break 29pounds per night. The room was excellent and we had two superb nights rest and relaxation, breakfast was good as usual.We visited friends and had a day in Shrewsbury, and really enjoyed the break. I would recommend Wychwood to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor facing the golf course nice view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Roger b
Thank you for your recent posting.
Firstly Happy New Year to you and your wife, I'm pleased you chose to come and relax with us post christmas.
The special promotional rate has been well taken up and does offer great value for money.
Pleased to see you have used us a trainer for conferences in the past and hope to see you on many more dates in the future.
The Venue is a great base for getting out into the local areas such as Nantwich, Chester and Shrewsbury. Nathan.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel itself is great if you are there on business, or if you just need a bed for a couple of nights as I did. At only £29 a night I could not go wrong with this hotel, free tea, coffee and flapjacks/ biscuits, the rooms were clean, the hotel was clean and modern enough, the staff were friendly, the grounds are rather pretty and the breakfast was scrummy :)
- Although there is no swimming pool and the T.V is a bit dated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Georgia G
Thank you for your recent posting.
I was pleased to read the bedrooms and the hotel were clean and modern and the staff were friendly with the grounds being rather pretty and the breakfast scrummy.
The promotional rate is great value for money with our free upgraded wi-fi and free coffee stations.
I hope to have the TVs upgraded during the year ahead.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in near future. Nathan
Crewe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was a package for New Years Eve, quite reasonable and a discount for an overnight stay.

It included a buffet which was lovely, except that it was not very warm, and the breakfast the next morning was cold also.

Shame as for the money it was a very nice evening, the food was delicious and innovative but it would have been better if it had been hot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Phil130353
Thank you for your recent posting.
Firstly a very Happy New Year to you and I am pleased you chose to stay and party with us.
I am sorry you felt the New Years Eve buffet party food was not hot, please be assured I had not heard of this and am sorry this was not brought to the teams attention on the night however good to hear it was delicious and innovative.
I have a Christmas wrap up meeting early next week so will ensure we bear this in mind for our festivities later this year.
I will look into the breakfast temperature tomorrow.
Nathan.
Walsall, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I booked a night this hotel as part of an online deal for a post-Christmas getaway. I had read some of the reviews on here so wasn't really sure what to expect. While it would be easy to be picky about some aspects of the hotel I have more positive things to say. I really don't want to be negative about it. The Hotel is set in tidily kept grounds on the side of a golf club. It looks modern from the outside and the entrance atrium is impressive. We were greeted by polite, helpful staff on arrival.
We had a room on the ground floor which overlooked the golf course and club house. The room was tidy with tea/coffee facilities, iron and ironing board and hairdryer. There was a big back TV which was neither here or there but some people might not like.
The hotel bar did not open until 5 o'clock but we could relax at the golf club about 2 minutes walk away if we wanted.
On the evening we enjoyed a bar meal which was more than filling. My fiance had the chicken and chips and I had the butterfly chicken breast burger.
The bar area was ok and the staff were very helpful and polite.
I was very impressed with the breakfast we had which was an all you can eat buffet style. The food was of very good quality, the only downside was that the plates were not warmed enough so the food chilled quite fast.
On the whole I was very impressed with the hotel, it's staff, the food and location.
Plymouth Argyle Football team were staying the same night as us so It must have come recommended!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Sheryl A
Thank you for your recent review.
I was pleased to read of your post Christmas break with us and happy to see you utilised the Bar Vista and its food options.
I will look into the temperature of the plates at breakfast but was good to hear you were really impressed with breakfast and the hotel overall.
I look forward to future visits, happy new year to you.
Nathan

Been to Wychwood Park? Share your experiences!