“Birthday Party” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Madeley, United Kingdom
“Birthday Party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We held a birthday party on 14th December and without exception all our guests (138) had a great time. The food was first class, the staff could not have been more helpful and the disco was both hit the spot perfectly. The overnight rooms were fantastic for the price we paid and breakfast in the morning was just what the doctor ordered. Obviously at these events people hang around talking way after the breakfast times but we never felt under pressure to move or stop our chats. Well done to all the staff - I love a can-do attitude!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Kapability
Thank you for taking time to post your review.
I am pleased that you and all your guests had a great birthday party, food and over night bedrooms.
I was particularly pleased to hear the comments regarding my team and their can do attitude, they will be motivated by your comments.
Once again many thanks and I wish you a Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.
Regards,
Nathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Staffordshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night in connection with our work Xmas party (at my employer's expense). I have been to this venue many times for meetings and conferences and have stayed overnight just once before.
The conference and meeting facilities are good, and the food continues to be of a better than average standard, however the rooms are very tired and a bit shabby when compared to other hotel chains I've used recently.
I found myself allocated a twin room which was configured for disabled access. I must say that when I've found myself allocated rooms like this in other hotels the fixtures and fittings seem to be a little depressing (I'm not disabled by the way so I have comparable experiences in other room types). This one was no different. The walls (particularly in the bathroom) didn't seem to be particularly well soundproofed so I found myself in the potentially embarrassing position of being able to hear the guest in the next room taking a shower! The TV was very old and the remote didn't appear to have the luxury of batteries fitted. The bed was ok but I haven't slept in a single since I was a teenager, and the room was very cold. This wasn't too much of a problem for me because i prefer a cool room but it would have been a problem for my wife had she been with me on this occasion!
As a regular business traveller but also a frequent DeVere customer with my family, I have to say that Wychwood Park is letting itself and the chain down a little with the standard of the accommodation. Situated as it is in a private estate next to a golf course, it really ought to be more special than it is. One of my colleagues summed it up with "the rooms are ok, but you wouldn't be too impressed if you'd had to pay for it yourself".
A refurbishment of the rooms and the addition of a swimming pool would make such a world of difference to Wychwood Park.

Room Tip: don't get fobbed off with a disabled access room on the ground floor (unless you're disabled...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear The_Turreteers
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased you found the conference and meeting facilities good as in previous visits and enjoyed the food.
I am sorry you found the bedroom and especially the TV in need of an upgrade and sorry the remote did not have batteries in. Although I don't know what bedroom you stayed in I will check all the disabled rooms to locate the remote to have batteries added.
May I ressure you the capital plans have been drawn up for improvements you mention and hope to see them come to fruition shortly.
An update also to all that read this, the FREE wifi upgrade has been completed this week - we have moved over to fibre optic and is now much faster.
Nathan
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stopped here as part of our works Christmas party. The room was average (room 230) for a corporate hotel. I was a little disappointed to the room standard. It was quite dated and tired and clearly in need of a refurbishment. Also a bit stingy on the shower gel, 1 tiny one between 2 of use. The wall paper and paint work was marked and the TV was very old and the standard of reception (not digital) was quite poor. The bathroom was clean and functional however they need attention to detail to the tile grout, a little stained and some of the floor tiles were cracked. We got the room at a reduced rate due to the party, I would have been quite upset if I had paid full price. Having stayed at other 4* hotels recently the room standard was not of an equal standard. The reception areas were of a good standard and the staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The breakfast selection was also good, plenty of hot and cold choices. Overall a good, lovely surroundings but an average stay due to the room condition.

Room Tip: Room away from reception and overlooking the golf course, nice view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Janet C
Thank for your recent review.
I am pleased you found the reception areas of a good standard and the staff very welcoming, friendly and helpful.
Good to hear the breakfast selection was to your liking.
I do note your comments with regards to bedrooms and be assured locally we keep on top of all the day to day maintenance awaiting the investment into the bedrooms which hopefully will be next year.
I trust you had a great xmas party. Nathan.
Rhyl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I originally booked this hotel as I wanted a place to stay with my friend who I do not see that often for a leisure weekend, I thought this hotel had a swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room.

Two days after booking, I discovered the hotel did not have these facilities, I contacted the reception about a possible cancellation but was told that i could cancel but wouldn't get my money back and that if I wanted to cancel, and if I wanted cancellation rights, I should have booked the rate where I was able to cancel. Obviously, I didn't book with a view of cancelling!

Although clean room and nice breakfast, I found the hotel to be very expensive for bed and breakfast rate with no facilities within the hotel.

We ate in the Claret Jug which is within the grounds and the meal was reasonably priced and very nice although we ordered at 8pm but food was eventually served at 9pm due to chef being 'stressed' as there was a Christmas party upstairs, I had pretty much gone past the meal by time it arrived.

Next time I arrange to meet my friend from London, I will consider a different hotel within the Crewe area as I didn't feel we got value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Sam D
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased your chose to stay with us as we are conveniently located and am sorry you thought we had a swimming pool as we unfortunately don't.
We offer some great rates some of which are offered at very competitive prices as they have booking restrictions on them.
The Claret Jug should have explained a delay to your meal when the order was taken as the time you ordered did coincide with a large party being served their food however pleased to read you thought it was competitively priced and really nice.
Once again thank you for your comments. Nathan.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

we have just returned home from 2 nights here after reading some reviews we were a little worried on the rooms but I have to say the whole place was absolutely lovely the reception was full of Christmas trees and the staff where lovely, are room had a little balcony which was nice, everywhere was clean and very tidy, we had a meal included in are 1st night stay the menu wasn't very big but what was had was delicious and piping hot and for the money was excellent. just wished I had the chance to go in the spa as it had very good offers on but will definitely be returning soon thank you for a lovey stay!

Room Tip: we had room 139 was nice and spacious
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear BNLB
Congratulations on your anniversary and I am pleased you chose to stay with us. It was great to hear you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff lovely. I look forward to welcoming you back again the near future. Once again thank you for the review you have given. Nathan.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have been booked in for a four night stay. On entrance into the hotel the doors where on winter lock. They don't fully open as a disabled guest my husband struggled to get me thro in my
Wheelchair. Nobody helped or offered to change the door setting. This was a bad experience it only got worse. We booked a double put given a twin room.The bathroom was dirty and it had a bad smell. Cups hadn't been washed and half the lights didn't work. We also had a problem with the tv. It kept switching itself off the manager said it couldn't b replaces as no spare ones. All these point where raised to the manager. Only thing they did was get a cleaner 2 clean the bathroom. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear millymoos
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry this was not brought to my attention whilst you were staying in the Venue as I could have had the TV switched from another bedroom to yours immediately, as all it needed was unplugging and replugging back in again. I am pleased the maids returned to your bedroom to reclean it for you.
The front doors open on winter mode which is as you point out narrower, we have had this tested for all our disbabled guests and up to this point never had previous comment. I will have these rechecked this week.
Once again thank you for your comments. Nathan.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night as it was the venue for a 2 day business event. Bedroom was unremarkable but fine - would have appreciated a safe and better tv options. Meeting room facilities were good. Group dinner was pleasant enough but nothing special. The setting was pleasant and the golf course looked good from a distance - will take the clubs next time!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear David L

Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope on your next visit you do bring your golf clubs with you to take advantage of the course. Nathan

Been to Wychwood Park? Share your experiences!