“Undereducated and understaffed.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Chester, United Kingdom
“Undereducated and understaffed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and children this week and dined in the restaurant for both nights stay. The food was great and service was fab! We have stayed before and had diabolical service to which we were worried about coming back! This time has changed our minds. There was a senior member of staff overlooking the young members (didn't have this last time). There was a great waitress who clearly new what she was doing and looked after us, I think her name was Emma.(also, didn't have this last time.) the hotel is still under dated and the bar staff aren't very hygienic but as we have children we only went in the restaurant. Thank you restaurant staff for making our stay pleasurable.

• Stayed October 2013
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Sarah1469
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased Emma and the restaurant team looked after you and your family. It was good to read you had fab service with the food being great. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Nathan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Booked into hotel through work for a single nights stay. The hotel is very much out of the way but still close enough to travel into Crewe. The downstairs area is very nice and modern and the young girl on the desk very helpful. After a few issues with the key not working to get into room which was sorted very quickly found that the bedroom was a little tired and could do with a good decorate. Although clean the wooden desks and side table were covered in cup ring marks and the carpet was worn in places. I'm don't want to put people off because the hotel was not bad and for the price that I paid it was good value for money but don't go expecting the room to be luxurious.

Dear scoobydo66
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased you chose this Venue and although set in beautiful countryside we are only about 5 minutes from centre of Crewe.
I am pleased you found the front desk team helpful and the downstairs areas modern.
The bedrooms will be part of an upgrade scheme at some point soon and until then we ensure they are well maintained by my in house team. I hope to see you back again soon. Nathan.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Having read some of the reviews, I approached this visit with a little apprehension, although having got a fantastic voucher deal, I was pretty much ready to accept anything!

However, to say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement. The modern facade and impressive driveway approach was backed up by a lovely room overlooking the front of the hotel, all very modern and very clean - not a single complaint.

The receptionist was extremely helpful and friendly, and we had an excellent stay.

During the afternoon we headed off to the nearest pub (the Broughton Arms), which turned out to be a bit of a hike - no pavements and no short cuts, so there isn't really anywhere to visit off-site without a car; however, we came back for dinner at the hotel and both thought the food was superb. The waiter actually got my order wrong, and brought the wrong dish out, but I was happy to accept the meal and they also knocked money off our bill, so again, no problem.

We had a drink in the bar before dinner and the floor in there was sticky and unclean, but we could not find any other faults during our stay.

Neither of us were there to play golf, but the golf course setting is beautiful, the staff were very friendly and the room was clean and comfortable - couldn't ask for any more.

Room Tip: Don't think it really matters - there are just over 100 rooms, but only two floors to choose fro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear jonk67
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased to hear there was no need for any pre apprehension on coming and you had a excellent stay. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. Nathan.
Solihull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I came to Wychwood Park to the wedding reception of one of my university friends, and the whole day had aspects of good and bad points
The arrival drinks were served with canapes which was lovely, but they went on forever! The room for the actual reception was upstairs and we kept being shepherded up and down them as we were told the room was ready for us, and then quite sharply (after we'd got to the top of the stairs) that it wasn't.
When we eventually got into the room it looked lovely, food was okay, but the bar was baffling - there was a bar in the room but when we tried to order a drink from it we were told that it was closed and we would have to go to the downstairs one. Which is the next point - I appreciate that my friends would not have paid for exclusivity of the hotel, but the fact that we had to order drinks from a bar full of golfers and other guests put a slight dampener on the day. Then once we evacuated the reception room to allow the staff to turn it around for the evening function (something which we were told would take 45 minutes max and actually took 2 hours!!!) we were all cramped into the same downstairs bar, still full of non wedding guests too. This lost the atmosphere of it being 'their day' as nobody could tell who was there for the wedding or not!
Bar service was extremely slow, and the prices were just that bit too close to being unreasonable - cheapest bottle of rose for £22 something is not good. As I work in the wedding/hotel trade I appreciate the bar prices won't be Wetherspoons prices, but that is still a tad over the top.
We didn't stay the night, choosing the cheaper option of a nearby Travelodge, so when we asked reception to call us a taxi (as non of us had any signal, at all) it was a request met with quite a blunt response and as we stayed in reception we know it took them 15 minutes to actually pick up the phone to order one.
In all we did try not to let these bits affect our enjoyment of what was otherwise a lovely day, bar closing late was a nice surprise too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Broadway, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at Wychwood Park for a conference. The public areas (reception, bar, restaurant) are nicely presented, clean decor and politely efficient staff. Bedrooms ok, similar to a Premier Inn or similar with quite a firm bed.

My mine criticism would be that for a hotel looking to attract the business market, the WIFI though free is incredibly slow. An upgrade here would be very beneficial.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Rooster81
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased you found the front areas nicely presented, clean decor and politely efficient staff. I do note the concerns about bandwidth wifi speed, this seemed to slow up for some reason 2 weeks back and as a result ordered an upgrade to make it very much quicker. Believe it or not this takes 2 months to kick in from the service provider however once in place will address your concerns. I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Nathan.
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went as part of a party of 16 on a golf trip in early October. Whilst i accept the comments about the rooms being a little tired they were clean and only for sleeping in. Having visited a number of different hotels as part of golf trips over the years I have to say the quality of food and service at Wychwood was as good as any we have previously experienced. It was also good to be served by people who were smiling. The golf course is in good condition but is a difficult course which provides a serious test of golfing ability. Finally we have been previously a number of years ago and would say the food and service at the present time is very good. Finally as part of the deal we were given a 20% discount of bar prices which made them competitive with pub prices and resulted in us spending more time in the golf club bar, a good move by the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Geoff m
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased to see your rooms were as expected however pleased to see the food was as good as you have had on all previous trips away.
I am pleased the staff looked after you and were smiling throughout.
The golf course is as good as it has been in many years and is a true test of your game. I look forward to welcoming you and your fellow golfers back soon. Nathan.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room was very disappointing. Very basic - Premier Inn are better. TV was a relic from the 80's with poor reception. Furniture cheap and again basic. Mattress bowed to middle and obviously very old. Shower again looked very old and didn't shower properly. Such a disappointment and not befitting such a wonderful location. Evening Food was very good as was the bar area. Requested Poached Eggs at breakfast which took an eternity to arrive despite there being only 5 covers in at the time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear SteveL
Thank you for your recent review.
As with previous responses, the bedrooms will be upgraded at some point in the near future which will address your points including the televisions. I was pleased to read your evening dinner and service was good and I will look into why poached eggs took so long at breakfast with so few customers at the time. Regards, Nathan.

Been to Wychwood Park? Share your experiences!