“GREAT SERVICE” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Berwang
Zurich, Switzerland
“GREAT SERVICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We have stayed at hotel SINGER in AUG for a week - in the THANELLER deluxe junior suite.
The room was huge and nicely furnished with a big window. Very quiet room with a nice view. The bathroom looked a bit tired and no minibar or other special features in the room.
The restaurants are OK - however the quality of the food and its presentation disappointed us a bit and staying in a Relais & Chateaux we would have expected much more (poor salad buffet, unimaginative desserts, small portions ... ).
The SPA is great ... seems to be brand new (... try the lomi-lomi massage - its heaven !!!)
All staff at reception, SPA and restaurants have been great - very professional, friendly ... a real treat.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms seem to be going to the main road which was rather noisy at times ... our r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Collonges-sous-Saleve, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stay in this famous hotel every year for 8 years. Family Singer try to offer the best for her guests. On the feet of the ski tracks. Exceptional SPA with out and indoor pool. Excellent service and food. A place to come back and back!

Room Tip: rooms on the south side with balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brescia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

We are just come back from our vacation at the Singer. I have no a lot to say...a word can be enough,perfect.
Great location,fantastic food,exceptional hospitality,a dream Spa.
We wanna thank the Singer family for their truly passion,Daniel(just 29 years old)probably the best maitre' i meet in 20 years of travel all around the world.
A really beautiful holyday.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Singer is an excellent hotel. Location is perfect for ski (just near the cable car and going back with skis on feet).

Nice room (Abendspitze) with a lot of style and a wonderful view. The staff is friendly and welcomes you with a personal touch.

The food is very good, with a special mention for the cheese buffet on evening. The garage is maybe a bit expensive (14 EUR / night).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I think the ethos of this place is "old money" or "classic luxury". From the outset I must say I really liked it, although I had some 'comments' which you can read at the end.

Firstly the location and view are beautiful - a secluded alpine valley (1340 m) surrounded by 2000+ m peaks. Tranquility and serene scenery is what it is all about. The village is really small and there is not much to do in the evening other than spend it enjoying the luxury of a 6-course meal, that comes with chosing the half-board option at the hotel.

The rooms are nice and cosy, and I would highly recommend the studio, which provides understated luxury, with soft colours and wood covered walls and ceiling. The beds and linnens are really comfy, bathrooms are large and well appointed, and the studios all have a balcony with breathtaking views. My only complaint is the lack of any English channels on the TV, except CNN (and a flat screen would have been nice, given that nowadays it costs only about the room rate for 2 days).

You get free Wi-Fi on request (ask for a password at the reception).

There is ample parking space nearby and you can have your car parked in an underground garage for an additional fee, which is a great asset when it snows.

I liked the SPA and mostly the aromatic steam room and the water beds rest area next to the saunas. There is also an indoor/outdoor swimming pool which is also nice, although the outdoor part of the swimming pool is not warm enough to allow you to stay comfortably outside during winter.

The staff were very kind and helpful in an unobtrusive sort of way, always personal and welcoming. It was quite curious for me to see the rules of the place, as they reminded me of staying in a sanitorium with my parents when I was a small kid. From the beginning you get a table, which you must stick to throughout your stay (breakfasts, dinners, etc.). Thus you get to know your neighbours on the nearby tables. Dinner starts really early - you are expected about 7.00 pm and it ends at about 10.00 pm when you can either move to the bar or enjoy an early bedtime (like I did). Thus everyone gathers together for meals, which brings a great comunal feel to the eating experience. I think this probably have been the rules and habits 70 years ago, when this hotel was established, and I must say I did like them, as they somehow brought a cosy nostalgia feeling to me.

You must choose the half-board if you are staying at this hotel, firstly because there is no really good place to eat outside, and secondly because the food is sublime. The difference in price is about EUR 12 per person per day between the bed-and-breakfast and the half-board, and for this money you get an amazing 6-course served dinner, with several options to choose from for most of the courses.

Now the gripes - it is one actually, but is really the reason why I give the place 4 and not 5 stars: there is a real ventilation problem in the common areas, which is quite unpleasant. Upon entry you get hit by a stale cooking smell of something I would identify as sauerkraut (I may be wrong). Also the air in the corridor on the 4th floor, where we stayed, was really stale and there seemed to be no fresh air being let in from anywhere. I think this is a problem that can be fixed, and would really allow the place to feel like the true luxury hotel it is supposed to be.

In summary - this is a great place, maligned by an unpleasant problem, which can be easily fixed. I hope the management read this and take measures. As for potential guests - don't be put off by my gripes, give it a try and I am sure you will have a wonderful, cosy, unforgettable experience staying at the Singer.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Baku, Azerbaijan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

absolutely fantastic escape. Just have returned. We stayed there for 3 nights. I would suggest 4 nights and 3 full days.
First of all we were very lucky with the weather - snow, sun, blue sky. Nothing to compare with.
Berwang is very small village with prox.700 residents. Singer is really biggest and most advanced place to stay there.
What left me with very special feelings - service. Fantastic!!! Everybody so friendly. You really feel like at home. Staff is 100% right people with right approach to their responcibilities.
Rooms are nice, clean. Very quiet place. You have all facilities in your room. Thr only weakness - limited number of TV channels in english, frenc, russian etc.
Food - this is separate story. We booked B&B before. But after first evening I switched to HB. Dinner is outstanding! Do not expect "wild original local food". You will find sofisticated signature dishes. 4-5 course menu followed with grate cheese selection. Grate!The only issue is that wines and champagnes selections is specific and high priced. Nice red wine starts at around 100 EUR. All the rest of alcoholg are ok in general...

Ambiance - lots of wood everywhere, fireplace, live music. You feel coutryside, you feel alpine!

SPA - grate facilities - sauna, steam, indoor and outdoor(no chance to miss in the evening time especially!!!!) pools. Nice relax rooms. All is well. Massages are ok, but not the best I have had - can not beat asians ))

We are not a ski-people, but from what I saw I can say that those who were doign skiing really were enjoying skiing facilities and environment

Overall I say YES - go there if you are looking for short, peaceful, romantic or family, tasty escape on reaonable price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I spent a few days at the Singer Hotel in the summer of 2011. It is a family owned hotel in the most beautiful location. We had to adjust to the personal attention which is off the charts. The staff all speak several languages and knew that we were American and spoke to us in English. We did pay a small extra fee for breakfast and dinner and were blown away. The dinner was fantastic; many courses, great quality and preparation and fabulous service. The breakfast was over the top.
The hotel has activities every day and a beautiful pool and spa. We were treated to a cocktail reception by the pool one evening and enjoyed the lovely and gracious host Florian Singer.
We are both cyclists and the location is fantastic for some challenging rides. We took a beautiful hike our last morning and were surprised by cow bells and scenery beyond belief.
The hotel is a short drive to Mad Ludwigs's castles in Germany, but go early to avoid the huge crowds.
I hope our travels take us back to the Hotel Singer. A Tirolian experience over the top.

Room Tip: There a several different types of rooms and the hotel receptionist was kind enought to show us the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Singer Sporthotel & SPA? Share your experiences!