“A somewhat boutique hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hibiscus

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kone
Hotel Hibiscus
You added Hotel Hibiscus to your Saves list
Kone, Grand Terre, New Caledonia   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Kone B&B and Inns
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“A somewhat boutique hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Location: Located next to Kone city center. Other than that, I do not know what is there to do here in Kone. Did not do more detailed research except that Kone was the next biggest city after Noumea from the map.
Room: Very basic. I boooked the cheapest one available, but it turned out to be the most basic and I have the feeling the worst whem looking at the other rooms from the outside.
Breakfast was included in the price, and spread was sufficient as compared to the prices of things here outside of Noumea.

Other than that, the staff are very friendly. As the previous reviewer mentioned, there is a nice garden. The hotel is really very nice and very well decorated. Lots of effort seems to have been put into the decoration of the hotel. I think this is one of the best non-chain hotel I have seen on the island and certainly in Kone.
Will I return to this hotel? Yes I would if I had to be in the area and would certainly pay for the 2nd best room.

Room Tip: Get the room above the cheapest one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kone, New Caledonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

On arriving from NZ, the Hibiscus Hotel was our accommodation for the first 3 days in Kone. I dont know what it cost as the engineering company footed the bill. "Expensive" was the word my husband used. But everything here is expensive!

From the outside, the Hibiscus is nothing spectacular, but its internal garden is beautiful. We had a garden room that was quiet, neat, clean, airconditioned and serviced daily. We had wireless internet and a tiny bar fridge in the room. The room featured a quaint 4 poster queen bed. The bathroom was roomy, neat and clean but the hand basin was chest high and mirror too high.

The garden is a rather nice water garden with a central gazebo and water feature pond with goldfish, tropical plants and Asian styled ornaments scattered through the garden. It makes for a really beautiful setting to relax in.
The swimming pool is clean and situated right in front of the restaurant with tables scattered around its edges. But its prominant location put me off swimming! There are regular Aqua gym sessions held in the pool 3 days a week (Monday AM, Tuesday 4-6 PM, Friday AM)

The Hibiscus Hotel is about 100m from the centre of Kone's shops. The nearest beach is 10km away.
The main receptionist and the barman were the two staff who spoke English best. Everyone else spoke French. If you can keep your sense of humour and patience, the staff are fine. Language was a problem, but nothing a beginner's French Dictionary, Phrase book, paper and pencil can't deal with!! The ability to laugh at yourself and a friendly smile worked wonders. The restaurant staff found it easier to read my written French, as my attempts at spoken French were a source of bewilderment and amusement for both of us! They appreciated that I tried.

The Hibiscus features French cuisine with a wide selection of meats and seafood and wines. The restaurant is a pretty busy place both lunch and dinner with folk from the local community dropping in for meals.
With a special diet of gluten free, dairy free vegetarian, I found the menu extremely limited. After 3 days of eating lettuce, brown lentils, fries and runny omletts, I never want to see another runny egg again!
The chef, bless him, did go out of his way to make special dishes that were not on the dinner menu for me and my husband. I do appreciate that and the barman's assistance translating and organising the order, even if it was a repeat of lettuce, eggs, lentils and fries. Breakfasts were Continental style and so frustrating in that it all looked so delicious but not much I could safely eat.

Parking at the Hibiscus is in a side lane off the busy main highway and not secure. It was the only real dampener we had, as the orange flashing safety light was stolen off my husband's vehicle the second night there.

Apart from the challenge with food, I quite enjoyed the stay at the Hibiscus.

From the Hibiscus Hotel, my husband and I went to the Koniambo Hotel for the next 13 weeks until a house was located for us.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Hibiscus? Share your experiences!