“Just like a chalet in switzerland! warm cozy and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bras d'Or Lakes Inn

Save Saved
You added Bras d'Or Lakes Inn to your Saves list
Bras d'Or Lakes Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   10095 Grenville Street, St. Peter's, Nova Scotia B0E 3B0, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
toronto
“Just like a chalet in switzerland! warm cozy and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

A wonderful hotel. Excellent restaurant. excellent service! The rooms are clean and comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Jean pierre and Rhoda are wonderful hosts! Thank you for a great visit.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

The view was great, the food was even better and the staff were so friendly, I didn't want to leave!!!

Once you visit the Inn and taste their cuisine, I guarantee your friends will salivate from the mere description of your culinary experience... This place is a Cape Breton hidden gem, and it's on the way to Fort Louisburg to boot!!!

Bon Appetite!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Huntington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I don't know where the people who wrote the negative reviews stayed, but I can't blieve that it was the Bras d'Or Lakes Inn that we stayed at. The whole place smells like cedar which made it feel fresh and clean. The restaurant, ah the restaurant...the chef is a genius. The "cream puff" dessert-- was EXCELLENT. We had a great experience and would certainly return. We sat out by the water and found the location very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Napanee, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I booked this inn without checking with TripAdvisor, and am pleased to note that it was great! The rooms were tidy and comfortable. The restaurant, however, was spectacular. It is rather unassuming, with its rustic, log cabin furniture. We had dinner and breakfast, and were thoroughly impressed with both. The crowning touch was the dessert, which I forget the name of, but it was the house specialty with French Cream, and it was an eye-opening experience. I definitely sets a high bar for all other desserts to aspire towards!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Kitchener, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed one night on our way to Sydney. We took the package that included breakfast and the ceilidh. The rooms are lodge style with all the pine accessorizing. Comfortable and clean but also very Cape Breton.
But the real experience is in the dining room. French chef Jean Pierre has an incredible menu. The seafood chowder is truly to die for. My wife had lobster and I the scallops. Both were fantastic. The signature dessert was all gone so we had the adorable carrot cake but we were running late for the Ceilidh downstairs. So staff set up a table downstairs for us complete with linens and brought the carrot cake there.
Breakfast was spectacular and included in the package price. I am a Eggs Benedict lover and Jean Pierres were the best ever. My wife had the lobster omelet which she raved about. We loved it so much we stopped in for lunch a few days later on our way back to Halifax from Sydney. We were a bit early for lunch but they made me up the JP burger I was told so much about. It didn't disappoint. Since breakfast was still available my wife had to have the lobster omelet again. This time we did get a piece of the signature dessert and it was heavenly.
The staff in the DR and front desk were extremely pleasant and engaging. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Brantford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We didn't actually stay in the Inn. It seems nice enough. The location is great. What we did "experience" was the restaurant. Their sign promised "Fine Dinning". It was anything but. The Head Chef must have had the day off. The Chowder is inedible. They are a little too proud of their home grown herbs. Way too much made it horribly bitter. They claimed it was made to order (pretty doubtful for a soup) so we asked for another bowl minus the herbs. The Chef refused saying that was how it was made. The rest of the food was edible but certainly not well made. Greasy and gross for the most part. Even the French Fries were soggy. We skipped on the desserts when we noticed Fish (dated a month before) sitting in the dessert freezer. Not in any way sanitary and a good sign just how fresh their ingredients are. This is not FIne Dining. Ketchup and vinegar in packets. You would do better at the McDonalds down the street. The worst part is we discovered at the end of our meal that the woman who had provided us such terrible service was the owner! Turns out she doesn't like having to wait tables.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

In October 2008, my mom took her first trip since she immigrated to Canada over 30 years ago, mom felt like it was home away from home because we were encapsulated with warmth and kindness by Rhoda, the owner, and an outstanding and personable staff who we knew everyone by name. As well, mom had befriended their chocolate lab, unbeknownst to me, she is a dog lover.

We would begin our days with a vibrant Juanita at breakfast who always had a smile and chirping lyrics in the background. Every morning I had an eggs Benny that was prepared to the utmost perfection by Adam, the chef, which i struggle not to compare to it whenever I have one. I would also dabble into my travel companion's fishcakes which I cannot speak of without salivating.

As our bellies are filled, we explored the lands in Cape Breton, every day with a new adventure and we would return to our centralized base, Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, where we would be greeted by Moira to our table for dinner. We would have entrees of divinity as it was made for a food critic. We cannot go without mentioning the professional and stealth waiter, James, who would come by to change our utensils unknowingly which startled me every time so I suggested that he'd wear bells.

It was all our first times to Nova Scotia and it was a memorable one. Thank you Bras d'Or!!

Virginia, Nicholas and Kim

Toronto Canada

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!