“Relaxing Stay at Melian” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melian Boutique Hotel & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pollonia
Melian Boutique Hotel & Spa
You added Melian Boutique Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pollonia | Milos, Pollonia 84800 , Greece   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Pollonia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Relaxing Stay at Melian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Overall, we had a fabulous holiday on Milos. We reserved a premium deluxe room at Melian with a massive terrace, a jacuzzi and a gorgeous view of the bay. The hotel's location is great, a quick walk to the adorable town of Pollonia for provisions, shops and restaurants. The common areas are simple but chicly decorated, and there is an amazing view from just about every possible angle (note that there is a new construction next to the hotel and it does block the view from a few of the side rooms).

A few small gripes worth mentioning: I thought Melian would be a little more luxurious. The common areas are tasteful, but very small. There is no beach nor pool (or maybe it's a plunge pool, but it's right in the middle of reception and not very private for swimming or relaxing). This wasn't too bothersome, however, because there is so much to see and do on the island. The queen-size bed was hard, really uncomfortable and only has 2 lumpy, small pillows. Also, there is an internet router in the room that shines so brightly we had to cover it with our jackets every night. Our in-room breakfast was late twice, and I found the meats to be a bit low-quality. Finally, they only let you have 2 beach towels per day. I'm fine with conserving water, but if we plan on having a long day of beach hopping on our vacation and want extra towels, please don't tell us "No!".

Again, overall it was a wonderful stay, and actually a good value. I just wish there was a little more quality luxury.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent 3 wonderful nights at the Melian Hotel in Aug 2013. The room (deluxe) was impeccably decorated and the spacious balcony was superb. Star gazing in the private jacuzzi following a delicious dinner served in our balcony must have been the highlight of our trip. At first we had considered getting cheaper room without a private jacuzzi but looking back at it we are really glad we 'splurged' on a deluxe room (as the hotel's pool is quite small). Breakfast was served at our balcony every day. There was a great selection to choose from including fresh breads, pastries, eggs and yogurt as well as freshly squeezed orange juice. The only shortcoming was the lack of fruits. The hotel's spa is also great and I had a wonderful massage (at fair prices unlike other hotels we stayed insuring our trip to the Cyclades). The hotel staff were extremely attentive and helped us with dinner reservations at the nearby town of Pollonia as well as activities around the island. It is probably worth mentioning that due to the location of the hotel (not near the main town/port of Adamas) it would be highly recommended to rent a car as buses from Pollonia only go to Adamas where you then need to catch difference buses to the rest of the island. Overall we had a fantastic time and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed at the Melian for 5 nights mid July and loved it. Other reviewers have said it all really. Highlights for us were the lovely room with balcony to watch the sun go down, great bathroom with hot power shower (perfect for after a day on the beach), and last but not least the quality of service. To give an example, we arrived later than planned as ferry delayed slightly, and after a day's travelling via Santorini, couldn't face going out to dinner at 10pm. We therefore asked if the hotel had any food available. However the chef had just left for the evening (as he was due back 8am next morning to do breakfast!) but the reception staff offered to make us a toasted sandwich and brought a lovely plate to our room and said it was on the house. Throughout the week they delivered glasses of wine on request to accompany that gorgeous sunset view, and also liaised on the car hire for us, with the absolute minimum of paperwork or fuss - I don't think we ever signed anything!
In July the island is subject to the Meltemi summer wind and although this is actually quite pleasant in the heat of the day, at breakfast time you needed to find a sheltered spot to enjoy your breakfast on the terrace! Like others, we also didn't use the plunge pool as it always felt too blowy early or late in the day when we were around the hotel.
Milos is a wonderful island to explore - we loved the little fishing villages, our favourite being Mandrakia which has the benefit of the lovely Medusa taverna. We also thought Sarakiniko was fantastic, and in terms of beaches to relax on, our favourite was Firiplaka on the south coast where there are plenty of sunbeds but interesting rocks and calm shallow waters. In the evenings, Pollonia offers plenty of nice tavernas on and off the waterfront, less than 10mins pleasant walk away around the harbour from the hotel.
However our top tip, if you can brave the final stretch of unmade road, is Embourios (in the west of the island, across the water from Adamas) which has a taverna of the same name - a truly wonderful peaceful spot but obviously well known to Greeks as when we called in for Sunday lunch (at the Melian receptionist's suggestion) it was virtually full although in the middle of nowhere! Great food right on the water - it literally laps against the restaurant.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Melian and Milos to anyone keen to escape the package holiday throng!

Room Tip: We were very happy with room 116 on the third floor which had a lovely view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Charming and authentic.... best of the best hotel in milos. the service is excelent. i stayed there in sepetember intillay for two days but i felt so confortable that i have extend my staying. honestly this hotel is simply beautiful and you will have a true luxury greek experience. all superlatif works for this hotel: friendly, relaxing, luxury, evrything you need with friends... or in a romantic holidays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I think I'm going to have to seek payment from the municipal council of Milos....I can't (hardly) find anything bad to say about this island....or the restaurants, or agencies or boats or this hotel! I am somewhat adverse to small hotels...they generally can't cater to my every whim...which is what I want on holidays...whim compliance.

How they manage to keep a kitchen and spa operating on 15 rooms with most people away all day is a mystery... but they do..,..and by doing so they remove my main concern with small hotels.

But let's start at the beginning. Booking was easy with the staff very responsive. This is not cheap accommodation, nor should it be. It's modern, beautiful, very well staffed, elegant and very clean. The amenities are top notch as are the linens. The staff are classy in their tan and white uniforms and very well trained in customer service. When I say clean I mean it felt like we were the first people to stay in our room.

The rooms...we had two...are very well appointed with an excellent bathroom...no tub mind you if that is important. Our rooms had good size balconies with a jacuzzi on each. Each had unrestricted views of sunset over the Aegean.

Notes:

There is no pool (as mentioned) only a very small unheated plunge pool that was chilly during our stay. We did not see anyone use it our entire stay.

The wireless is flaky and when it works is slow...this is not an island issue as we found wireless in restaurants to be as strong as home. They need to fix this as it will turn off business travellers like myself.

This is a very windy spot on the north side of the island. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. While some at the hotel suggested this was unusual...this amount of wind...we were told more than once that this was not the case. Wind is common and strong in these parts. This is important as water sports are less attractive withe waves keeping sailing craft in harbour! It was chilly some nights...in July...in Greece. Plan your trip accordingly.

Mattress was a bit on the hard side!

The food, beyond breakfast, is slow to the point of aggravation. We waited for well over an hour one night for a very simply service. On site food is expensive and pales in comparison to the restaurants in the village. It's fine for convenience. The burgers were excellent for a change away from local food.

Breakfast is the best meal and included in our room price. It is not too varied, but the quality, the service and presentation were flawless. I agree with other posters that the waste of excess bread (each person gets a pain au chocolat and a croissant beside the big basket of bread) is something they need to rethink. We didn't touch a piece in a weeks stay. Breakfast was always served promptly whenever and wherever you wanted it.

We love cats, others may not. They come around at meals and can be a bit aggressive in their desire to get on the table. We loved them nonetheless. They are at every restaurant in Polonia.

Speaking of the restaurants...seven minutes and you are in food paradise. Avoid Kaptan Nicholas...it was not good..every other was great with Enalion on top.

Loved it, would love to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for a week in Mid May, they had only been open a week for the season - although the hotel was apparently fully booked, we recieved a personal service, peace & quiet & nothing was too much trouble... Breakfast on our balcony, incredible views, friendly staff, private gym facilities (they only allow one guest at a time which is fab) & great treatments to top it off - couldn't fault it!! We were in a fantastic room (108 with jacuzzi on the balcony which was a nice suprise!) at the front of the hotel & even given a bottle of wine at the end of our holiday... We would definately go back & would also recommend as a Honeymoon venue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The first thing I think I think when I read about “boutique hotel”, is the quality and exclusivity of the services. This is what I found in Melian Boutique Hotel. The real luxury: personal and good customer service.
Besides, I can list what I liked in Melian and why I highly recommend this hotel:
1)the hotel is small, so the services are quite exclusive;
2)the bedrooms are very clean and cosy;
3)the view of the bedrooms are really fantastic, with the sea view and the sunset right before us;
4)the decoration is simple (in a good way) clean and minimalistic, considering this is a beach hotel;
5)the breakfast was the best of all the hotels of my trip to Greece. Look: during my trip I stayed in Santorini, Mikonos, Paros and Athens, in hotels of the same or superior category. The breads are really awesome in Melian. All the food is really tasty.
6)you choose your breakfast: every day the person in charge gives a card where you can check in the box the items you want to consume the next day.
7)the hotel have brand new cars to be rented, which is good, since the cars offered in other places of the island are not good enough (bad maintenance, dirty etc).

Little things I think can be improved:
1)if you are in a superior or standard room, there is no pool, just a Jacuzzi in the common area. But, considering the beaches available in the island, I didn’t care about it at all.
2)the dinner options didn’t catch me, but there are a lot of small and cosy restaurants in Pollonia which can be assessed by feet.
3)the furniture of the bedrooms is in traditional style (made out of iron and heavy and dark wood), but they are new and I can say that happened in the other boutique hotels I stayed during my trip, ‘cause this kind of furniture is largely used in Greece.

In addition, as I didn't knew anything about Milos and I didn't have any references about this island and, because of that, I was a little concerned in staying in Pollonia. However, the level of classification about Pollonia hotels were the best I saw in trip advisor when I was planning this trip. Now that I know Milos I can enssure Pollonia is the best place to stay in MIlos.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Melian Boutique Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!