TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Don't give up surfing "mature ones" : Go 2 Cardon!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cardon Adventure Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sinaloa
Cardon Adventure Resort
You added Cardon Adventure Resort to your Saves list
north of Mazatlan, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Sinaloa
Earth, Texas
“Don't give up surfing "mature ones" : Go 2 Cardon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am an aged male surfer of 40 years of H20 time, and suffer from and incredible amount of health problems, concerns and serious issues. The only condition that allows me to have a session is that of heavy medication to block/defer pain for another day/hour. I obviously should give up this beloved love, but I would rather die. The Cardon experience blessed me with renewed appreciation for the art that defines who I am and why I'm here ( in part ).

My review is simple, clear and consistent with many guest. The following expressions are as follows:

Owners/Staff - Hospitality and genuine concern for your experience to be a lifetime memory.

Ocean Action - Young, old or in between, numerous days to stoke your soul. The Sea has to cooperate, but as killer sales rep, Jeff said to me recently " Cardon does not disappoint " BTW.. Crowds??? No!

Fellow Guest - Whether you are a grom or a prune, you will meet and associate with our fellow brothers and sisters in the fight to stay sane in this complicated planet we inhabit. The stories and experiences shared by all the guest and staff with deepen your understanding of wave riding and worldwide surf dynamics and LIFE. Not to mention making new friends.

Food and Facilities - Next to none. I need total comfort with massages daily, jacuzzi action 3 X daily. Good beds/suites and healthy food that you might readily trade your 1st issue of Surfer
Mag for...

Additional Comments: Too many to list.

Negatives: Eventually you have to go home or move on to another place.

Room Tip: If you are disabled and have issues with a few stairs, you might select a ground-floor suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My week at Cardon was the best surf trip I have ever been on and one of the best vacations I have ever been on. The consistency of the surf was unreal and the venue, the accomodations, the food, and the staff are all first rate.I am going back in the Spring!

Room Tip: all the rooms have a view of the break!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Pukalani, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My stay at Cardon was enjoyable in every category imaginable. The waves were pure fun and being from Hawaii, plenty juicy to keep me satisfied. I can't say enough about the wonderful service provided by every single employee and also the clean, comfortable and relaxing setting. Meeting with old friends and making new ones, all of whom were just the best, made my week sadly slip by all too soon. Without a doubt I am returning

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Surely not the cheapest of all choices for a surfing holiday but what could you say if scoring 7 out of 7 days with waves, good food and quality time spent with friends? Would definitely go back. Service was very good too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Cardon is simply a fantastic option for a family surf trip. I’ve done a lot of surf travel and this is truly one of the very best options for including wives and kids. The accommodations are great, all with A/C, large flat screen TV’s, DVD players, and satellite TV for down time with the kids. All of the units face out to the pool and ocean, and you can watch your family from one spot whether they are in the pool (which is great, with shallow areas for kids), on the beach, or out surfing. There are also lots of kid’s toys around (boogie boards, soft top boards, etc.). Perhaps best of all, it’s only a 2.5 hour flight from LAX and 1 hour ride from Mazatlan, and while there it’s a quick walk to 2 great uncrowded surf spots, never having to get on a boat. We felt completely safe the entire time and the food was fabulous!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I don't know where to begin. A friend of mine went Cardon last October and wouldn't stop raving about it. I had my 40th birthday coming up so I figure I why not go to Cardon for a surf trip.
I expected the waves to be good, the hotel to be nice and the food to be tasty.
Well, EVERYTHING was way beyond expectations. The surf was absolutely perfect. Glassy Head to Overhead 200-250 yard lefts everyday ALL WEEK LONG. I seriously thought I was dreaming.
The hotel is a slice of heaven. Imagine floating in an infinity pool or sitting in the jacuzzi after a long surf session just watching the waves peel by as you rest until you're ready to surf again.
The hotel grounds are clean, well maintained and beautiful. Rooms are spotless. AC in each room. Each room has a view of the beach.
The cuisine is top notch. I was never hungry. Each course was prepared with the freshest ingredients. Every day lunch and dinner was something different and creative and fantastic.
The hotel staff, the owners and surf host Jeff were all great people. Anything asked for, anything you needed was taken care of within minutes. I was blown away.
The most amazing thing about the trip was meeting the guests. By the end of the week, we all exchanged contact info and email each other frequently. They are all now friends of mine.
So, what else can I say. If you like surfing perfect lefts until your legs burn, eat amazing food, stay in a beautiful boutique like hotel with really great people, GO!!!!
My wife and 8 year old daughter came along and had a blast as well! And they don't surf.
I booked my spot for next July as well as late April. Yup, I'm going twice next year. It was that great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

North of Mazatlan is the small beach side pueblo of Celestino Gasca. Once known for aqua culture with large warehouses and factories, those are slowly being replaced by small independent beach resorts where you can enjoy beautiful sunset walks on sandy public beaches and world class surfing at two point breaks. Having a number of resorts near perfect surf you might get the idea that as a surfer ,which I happen to be, this would be a dream come true.
For anyone surfing there prior to the introduction of the Cardon Adventure Resort, this was true. Mexican surfers had been going there for years along with a few hardy travelers that just happened to stumble upon it. Everyone getting along, totally stoked .....living the dream.
Initially when the Cardon Adventure Resort opened things were pretty much as they had been before, but
it didn’t take long before the owners of Cardon decided they owned the surf. Their mandate became “Only our guests are allowed to surf here “. Access for local Mexican surfers was seriously restricted and anyone else showing up to enjoy the surf was bullied out of the water. Within just a few short years this dramatic change has resulted in an escalation of terrorism by the owners of Cardon Adventure Resort and their employees. Some of the employees just happen to be surfers from California.Two years ago after an altercation in the surf with an employee of the Cardon resort, a well known visiting surfer was escorted from his resort at gunpoint by thugs.
My wife and I have been going to Celestino Gasca for years, always staying at the original resort right in front of the main point. On a recent trip we had planned on staying for ten days. The first day went great; just a few Mexican surfer friends sharing the waves, just like the good old days. The second day my friends and I were enjoying a repeat of the day before until Jeff Phillips, the American thug employed by Cardon, paddled out. When I was sitting by myself he began his normal tirade, screaming “I’m going to F___K you up! I’m gonna take you out”. As usual I just tried to ignore him. Day three my wife and I decided to wait until the Cardon crew had finished their session before paddling out. Watching everyone walking by our palapa including Jeff, I thought this may be a good way to handle things. Just taking turns, sounded like a good plan to me. We paddled out into an empty lineup. After about half an hour Jeff comes paddling back out on a hugh long board and proceeds to put his newest battle plan into action. This time he never says one word to us. At first I thought it was kind of a relief, but that didn’t last long. I have been surfing all my life and what happen next was beyond anything I have ever experienced before. It was like some sort of absurd pro surf contest where the rules have been changed without telling of all the contestants. Now the Cardon team scored points by sitting on the shoulder, blocking us from ever taking off on a wave, dropping in front of us if we even tried to take off, finally we gave up and paddled in. It was like constantly being cut off on the freeway by a mad man.
After this fiasco we were in our beach front palapa, where we had previously spent many happy hours, relaxing and watching the surf, with friends we had met in the water, including guests of Cardon. Soon Omar, one of the owners of Cardon Adventure resort walked by to tell us “NEVER COME BACK”. Beating his chest he said “THIS IS MY BREAK” That no other resort on the beach is allowed to rent to surfers. If we didn’t leave “We would see his power”. Fearing for our safety we left the next day, leaving behind friends and a place we had loved for years.

Cardon Adventure Resort has created is a very dangerous situation for everyone. If this continues it will only be a question of time before some unsuspecting surfer following their dream is seriously injured or killed. Whether it be a guest of one of the other resorts, someone at Cardon, or the general public, no one is immune to the violent situation they have created.

It is my hope those reading this will rethink their support of the Cardon Adventure Resort. Be it a business association or a vacation to the resort.
Hopefully with the help of the global community we can convince Cardon to end this sad and violent path they have decided to go down. Then we can all go back to living the dream.

Embassy officials in Mazatlan told us our report was not first they had received. Anyone with any knowledge of similar behavior by Cardon Adventure resort is urged to contact the following authorities.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Cardon Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!