“Great spot in Honduras” 5 of 5 stars
Review of D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tapiquilas
D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant
You added D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant to your Saves list
Aldea de Los Naranjos | 4km despues de Peña Blanca en la carretera para Las Vegas y El Mochito, Tapiquilas, Honduras   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Tapiquilas B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kennebunkport, Maine
“Great spot in Honduras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

A spectacular setting with prices to fit many budgets because you could choose to camp, be in the dorm, have a room with a private bath or a cabin, however booking in advance is recommended. This place is busy!! Its location, near mountains and the lake, lends it to a variety of activities with a staff willing to help you make it happen. The food and service were great and it was easy to just run a tab and pay for it all when you checked out. Talking with the variety of people about their adventures added a little something extra because you would meet people from other parts of the world, like Australia or Germany. They also had hummingbird feeders all over the place so we could enjoy the birds flitting around us. For birders, there was a very knowledgeable person on staff, William, who did bird walks. Next visit we would like to book a cabin.

Room Tip: We had a room with a private bath, but would like to be in a cabin next time. Also all thru Hondura...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend with three other young females. While at the brewery Bobby personally introduced himself and gave us detailed information about the area. Every member if the staff was happy and eager to know you. We used the public bus to travel to see an amazing waterfall! It is very cramped but never once did I feel unsafe. Instead of taking the bus we walked a good portion of the way back to the hostel and again felt completely safe. I've traveled several places in Honduras and I never felt a major threat, but here there is none. Do yourself a favor and explore centr America starting with D &D brewery! Oh and of course amazing beer!

• Stayed February 2014
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

The D&D's food and beer are delicious and the cabins charming and economical.That combined with the relaxing environment and friendly staff are what keep me coming back again. There have even been moments when I have thought that the D&D has provided the best customer service I have received in Honduras. I have come here with friends on numerous occassions and have brought my family here on vacation.

However, my most recent trip did not quite meet the standards I have come to anticipate from the lovely D&D. While I know it was a busy weekend, my travel companions and I were a bit dissapointed that there was only one variety of beer available for the weekend. The staff also all seemed quite stressed. While we never complained, my friends and I might have become less impatient if we had been given a bit of a heads-up that it would take more than an hour for us to receive our breakfast one morning.

While we always really love the tab system, I feel like I have to mention that I do not find many other places in Honduras that charge 5% to pay by card. While it is a safe area, I travel by bus and Honduras has made me feel insecure about carrying too much cash around.

Finally, the one suggestion that is a topic of conversation every time I visit is that the coffee seems pricey for the size of the cup. How great would it be to get free re-fills for those who order breakfast? Or at least a discount on re-fills? I always finish my coffee before my breakfast arrives and while I sometimes order another, it usually puts a bit of a damper on what is so very close to being my favourite breakfast experience in Honduras.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
VisitHonduras, Owner at D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Hi E S,

Thanks so much for your review. I truly appreciate your bringing some of those issues to our attention.

First and foremost, the beer! We've indeed been facing two issues simultaneously: a busier-than-expected high season (which has caused us to produce more beer than usual) and logistics problems from the U.S.

Our malt comes from Wisconsin in the US of A...and our latest shipment of supplies was ordered in early January but did not ship until the 6th of February. The reason given was heavy demand (due to continued craze for hand-crafted beer the world over). Then, our container was delayed in Florida due to what our broker called "Routine Safety Inspections." Finally, there was an "intervention" (tax crackdown) in the ports this week as our cargo was supposed to have been offloaded. This should have happened on Saturday...and we're still waiting. I truly apologize for our limited stock of beer--believe me, I want a Pale Ale right now, too!

Our staff were indeed stressed and I apologize for this. This past weekend was "Pulhanation," an electronic music concert over at the waterfall, Pulhapanzak. Apparently we served as the "Denny's" of Lake Yojoa because we cranked out a record number of breakfasts on Sunday morning. Our small restaurant is not capable of handling so many orders at once and we only have a few people on staff in the mornings. Normally, we're busy in the afternoon on Sundays and so this past weekend threw us off-balance. I genuinely apologize for the wait time which was far normal than average.

Our credit card surcharge is due to the fact that we try to keep our prices low for all of our guests and the rate the bank charges us is higher than most businesses in Honduras. This is because even though we pay many taxes, the government does not provide us with many services. With that in mind, we have no land-line telephone at our business (Hondutel).

Our internet is also not always 100% reliable. However, many people wish to pay with a card. We therefore have a credit card machine which functions over the cell phone network. This is very expensive and we find it difficult to incur this cost when our margins are already so low (where else in Honduras would you find rooms like ours for $17 a night?).

Regarding our coffee price: we serve only high-altitude coffee from Santa Barbara mountain which is significantly more expensive than coffee served elsewhere in Honduras. Our coffee price used to be 30 Lps./cup with free refills, however...we discovered that most of our guests only consumed one cup of coffee. Therefore, as of Jan. 2013 we lowered the price to 20 Lps./cup and opted for a pay-by-use system.

Please note that our coffee, at current exchange rates, only costs 96 US cents per cup. Other restaurants in Honduras charge 10-15 Lps. a cup but serve low-quality coffee such as Cafe El Indio or Cafe Maya; our coffee comes from 1,000-1500 meters in elevation.

I am sincerely sorry that we did not live up to your expectations this time. We do appreciate your continued business. Please e-mail me at reservations@ddbrewery.com and I'd be happy to make the situation right.

Best,

Bobby
Roatan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We just came back from an amazing 2 night stay at D&D Brewery. Bobby and the team at D&D run a great place. The beer, the activities and the food are all top notch. This place really is worth the trip, did someone say craft beer, but then don't forget to check out the lake and fincas that surround the brewery. Can't say enough good things about this place!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Time passes slowly at D&D. The beer is great, the blueberry pancakes are absolutely worth all the praise. There are nice hiking options around and the lake at dawn is magnificent. It's a shame we only had one night to spend here. The cabin was good, although the website claimed it could accommodate 6 and there were just 3 beds. The bathroom was so-so but acceptable. Wifi is good.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

D&D is an oasis in your life when you're looking for adventure and relax in nature. My wife and me stayed in one of the beautiful cabins for a short getaway.

We literaly enjoyed every minute... from the tasty homemade beer which combines perfect with the chicken burrito and the handcut french fries.
The lake excursion with the friendly local guide Rolando.
The unique experience to do a bird watching tour into the Santa Barbara National Park. The tour started early in the moring and we saw a amazing sunrise in the mountains with the Lake Yojoa to it's feet. Then a coffee with a local family up there in the middle of nowhere. A long walk in the national park with it's cloud forest and huge trees. And yes we made it: We saw them! Both female and male from the resplendent quetzal! That was only posible because of the professinal honduran birdwatcher William and his local friend who knows exactly on which tree the birds come.
Not to forget the relaxing massages my wife and me enjoyed. Thank you Patricia!

To resume: Every single person that was part of our vacation was authentic. Noone was simulating, just warm-hearted, real people you enjoy spending your time with.

Special praise: At D&D you can forget about your nationality. No matter which country you are from, we are all the same: humans! And that fact you can enjoy at D&D's without feeling any discrimination. And we know what we are talking about, being an interracial couple since 6 years happily married.

Room Tip: The cabin #3 is located in the beautiful garden in a quiet area.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Exeter, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

A cozy B&B with several pricing options in a spectacular setting. Good food & the opportunity to meet interesting people. They are familiar with the surrounding area & have LOTS of recommendations about what to do. They also do guided excursions. A "must do" if you're in the area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to D&D Brewery, Lodge, and Restaurant? Share your experiences!