“le roi arthur..excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Ploermel
York, United Kingdom
“le roi arthur..excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

we stayed in the suite overlooking the lake and golf course and were delighted in every respect.The old adage was shown to be correct you get what you pay for.Ecellent.
The restaraunt food matched the quality of the hotel, wnd we will undoubtedly return

Room Tip: The suite is well worth the extra price
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canberra Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were in Beignon for 2 nights and just wanted to experience some Brittany restaurants. This hotel about 20km away came recommended for its restaurant, I think Chevelle, or similar, and the hotel is set near the Lake au Duc, the Duke Lake, which is really very nice.

Also there is a golf course but we saw no one on it at 6 p with still 3 hours of day light left in March. We walked for about 20 minutes by the Lake and in was very pleasent.

The restaurant is on the 2nd level overlooking the Lake, and it is one of those buildings that it is better to look out of (with a nice view of the Lake and the setting sun), then look at, since it is a plain modern building with no character compared to the historic looking buildings in the town and villages in the location.

The menu was interesting but I can say the service was lethargic, we waited nearly 20 minutes for our order to be taken, had to ask for some bread as we were getting hungary, and it even longer to get the entree. I had the scallops on special which was nice, and then the beef for the set course cheaper menu which was great. I enjoyed it a lot and the potatoes were good. Not sure what the green vegetable was, it looked unusual and I have never seen it before. However, my colleagues had the beef with the foie gras but the beef was so tough it could not be cut with the knife provided, and the 7 hour cooking lamb which was dry and stringy. The beef was replaced with a much better piece. I did not have a dessert but my colleagues had the cheese plate, with 4 local varieties of cheese, nice but not really spectacular. The bill was about Euro 45 each, with a bottle of wine. Not too bad in my opinion and I though the dishes I had were good. But the service was (to be polite) leisurely and there was not a big crowd. Still I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Vannes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We came here on Christmas day so it was very quiet - just what we wanted. We had the pool and spa facilities to ourselves.
We have no complaints about this hotel. Clean, very friendly, professional staff. We ate very well at the restaurant, played trivial pursuit (in French) while drinking Bloody Marys in the bar.
Not many hotels have a view as good as this - but I imagine it's important to be in the main building and not the chalets.
(Just reread my review and I meant that the hotel was clean, not the staff - although I'm sure they were too!)

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011 via mobile

The hotel on the lake is beautifully situated. The rooms are spacious with balconies and great views of the lake. The pool is superb and the health spa. The restaurant was excellent. All the staff are helpful and very friendly.

• Stayed October 2011
Orgeval, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Excellent Location, Fantastic Food, Superb Service & Kindness

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Nantes, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent an evening there with my wife and 3 children. The hotel is set in beautiful surroundings, near a lake. Reservations and check-in were friendly and efficient.

We had chosen a bungalow, which I would not recommend as it had not been aired out and temperatures inside were in the 40s (over 100F) when we arrived. The bungalows, contrary to what we thought, were semi detached (ie. a simple door separated us from our neighbors, who were, fortunately, extremely quiet). For a nightly fee of 186 Euros, the furniture was quite spartan, with an old cathode tube TV which only got partial reception of local French channels (CNN addicts beware). Not sure if it's just around the cottages, but there were people yelling outside until about 4 in the morning.

We had dinner at the restaurant which I would recommend; excellent food and at quite a reasonable price (excellent and varied menus from about 36-50 Euros).

Room Tip: Avoid the bungalows (chalets).
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hertfordshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

Myself and a colleague travelled to Ploermel to visit our company we work with. It's an extremely quiet, rural town in Brittany and we got there from the UK using FlyBe's service from Southampton to Rennes. From there it's about an hour's drive along a near-empty autoroute.

This surprisingly busy hotel is situated at the southern end of the picturesque Duke's Lake (Lac au Duc) and has its own golf complex. From the outside it looks a touch dated but inside is where it counts. We only stayed one night and after checking in at around 5pm, were very hungry as we'd skipped lunch during our travelling. Given that it's usually difficult to get meals outside of normal meal times in France, the bar staff kindly organised a small platter of food for each of us which was fantastic, much to the amusement of the locals coming in from the links.

The bar overlooks part of the course and the lake, and was an enjoyable place to spend some time before our colleagues arrived for dinner later on in the hotel. The whitewashed walls and decorations of the restaurant are very calming. We sat in the conservatory and were very well looked after - even the hotel owner came down to meet us which I thought was very nostalgic, but kind all the same. Our meal was outstanding, with the highlight being the profiteroles dressed as swans for dessert!

My room was a reasonable size and had a small balcony overlooking another part of the golf course, but it was faultlessly presented and very clean. The bathroom also deserves mention thanks to being very clean while having an attractive contemporary feel. I had a good nights' sleep. Breakfast was limited to self-serve cereals and croissants yet enjoyable all the same.

The hotel's other facilities include a spa and a large conference facility, although we didn't get to see these first hand.

In summary I really enjoyed my stay at Le Roi Arthur. It is in the fortunate position of being one of few places to stay in Ploermel but didn't let us down, and the bill was much cheaper than I expected too at a little over 400 Euros. This included two of us staying one night, breakfast, the afternoon snack for two, drinks plus a meal for four in the evening. Excellent value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Le Roi Arthur? Share your experiences!