“Overpriced, been lied to, not happy” 2 of 5 stars

You added Saraii Village to your Saves list
Saraii Village
Randunu Kale Watta | Weerawila, Tissamaharama 82632, Sri Lanka   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Overpriced, been lied to, not happy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked for 6 nights one month in advance and spoke at the phone with Charitha, at this time we mentioned that the main reason we came to sri Lanka was to enjoy our honeymoon together and for surfing.
On speaking to Charitha I specifically asked about surfing in the area and she told me there was good surf break 10 minutes by tuktuk.
Once in Sri Lanka we discovered that there is no surfing at all in the area and decided to cut the stay to only 3 nights. We have been offered 50% refund for the 3 extra nights because they would not be able to fill up the room. (we communicated this 5 days earlier and over the xmas time 2nd, 3rd,4th of january)
On arrival, the place is pretty and the staff are all lovely, however, the room we were staying was unlike the one pictured on the web site: did not have a double bed but two single beds placed together on the floor and no candles. As well as this there was a mosquito net around the all tree house, but not properly fitted and full of gaps, so the night was spent fighting mosquitos, ants and different insects. My wife did not get almost any sleep by the time they woke us up at 5 am for the safari tour.
As we were paying 110$ for the room we would have expected these simple comforts to be included not to mention the fact that we were sharing a bathroom with four other guests.
As I mentioned earlier the staff are all lovely (as everywhere else in Sri Lanka), the dinner we had for new years eve was pretty good (35$), but the night after we had the option to eat the same buffet again and pay another 35$ each or go eat elsewhere (even if we asked for a simple meal).
We then decided to leave one night earlier, and even if they filled up the room anyway (we met the girl that took our room the evening before), we did not get any refund for it.
I believe that most likely they would have filled up the room for the all time that we payed for, and cashed in the double fare.
I do not recommend to stay here if you are a couple and definitely no need to spend more than a night.
I feel ripped off from the owner that runs all the operation from her office on Colombo.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SaraiiVillage, Owner at Saraii Village, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on our property and our staff; I am chagrined to learn of your disappointment with Saraii and sorry that you feel mislead and that you missed out on the true essence of Saraii's experience.

We have a revered policy of valuing all customer feedback, treating each comment and suggestion as objective, contributing value to Saraii. However as the owner of Saraii, I am disturbed and take exception to the completely inaccurate review and poor choice of words, with specific reference to the subject of your review inferring dishonesty on my part and that you were misled.

Let me address your concerns as listed in your review.

1. Surfing -

I am baffled by your claim that I said that there is a good surf break 10 minutes by tuk tuk... The only place to surf in this area is Kirinda and its 20 minutes away by car, although this is certainly not the BEST place in Sri Lanka for surfing, it is a location that few surfers use. The fact that Kirinda is 20 mins from Saraii is listed clearly on our website as well.

Saraii has not listed Kirinda as a place to surf; all our promotional material clearly list it as a location for a sea bath, which is an excursion option we provide to our guests. Kirinda is used as an embarking point for Diving in Great and Little bases... This is also clearly listed on our website’s Services & Facilities page - http://saraiivillage.com/services-facilities.php?news_id=117

If surfing was one of your main reasons for visiting Sri Lanka, I believe it would have been prudent to do your research on where you would want to do your surfing, as there are many other locations such as the world renowned Arugam Bay, as well as Unawatuna ,Talpe, Weligama and a host of other places that are pretty popular for this sport.

2. Misleading -

I wish to categorically refute this claim as at no time have I said anything inaccurate to you; we value total transparency and all information is clearly listed on our website and Facebook page. We stand by our position of total transparency and reiterate our statement "What you see is what you get; this place has no pretenses"

3. Cancelation Policy

You made your booking on the 29th of November. Your booking dates were 31st December to 5th January (6 nights) your reservation was made one full month in advance necessitating us to block it off on our availability calendar negating the opportunity for any other potential customer to utilize these days.

According to our company cancelation policy clearly listed on our website http://saraiivillage.com/accommodation-rates.php?news_id=96; if a cancelation is notified to us less than 3 days from the date of the reservation we charge a 100% cancelation fee. You notified us after three days (not 5 days ahead as inaccurately stated in your review ) of your decision not to remain for the balance three days of your six day stay.

Notwithstanding our standard cancellation procedure, I extended a special courtesy to you in reducing this fee by 50%, since you had stayed with us for 3 days.

Our cancelation policy is no different to most hotels in the world; I trust you are aware that in a situation like this we are unable to fill up our rooms immediately once they have been blocked out for a month; for you. This translates to us loosing out on 3 days of room revenue during the peak tourist season in Sri Lanka.

We did not as you inaccurately assumed, fill up the room for the days you cancelled and the day you left early. The girl you spoke of did NOT stay at Saraii, so please note that we have only incurred a loss because of your change of mind and not cashed in a double fare as you have irresponsibly and untruthfully claimed.

4. Room & Mosquito Netting -

Our online images reflect the exact setting of reality in every single accommodation unit we offer our guests. The picture clearly shows two single mattresses arranged as a double bed; the description of the Nest unambiguously states that we use single mattresses - http://saraiivillage.com/accommodation-rates.php?news_id=96

It is surprising that you mention that there was no Mosquito Net; the Nest has special protective mosquito netting set up enclosing the entire tree house, as anyone can see in our photographs. In fact all our accommodation units are replete with customized mosquito netting.

I am sure you will appreciate since Saraii is an eco resort, set in a bio diverse rich agro forestry property, it is impossible for us to assure our guests an environment free of the natural ecological makeup of the region. Our endeavour is to employ sustainable methods to minimize the unpleasant impacts of the natural eco system that could impair the comfort of our guests. You may have noticed that we spray Citronella oil, which is a natural mosquito repellant at Saraii as an additional measure.

Saraii has 4 accommodation units and 3 bathrooms. The Tree Houses are allocated the common bathroom and this is why you had to share your bathroom with 2 other guests who were occupying the other Tree House (The Crib).

5. Price

The price you paid for the Nest was 110 USD; the price of the Mud Chalet was 79 USD. This was not a hidden charge, this is clearly advertised on our website.
For further clarity below is a breakdown of what you paid and the special rate we offered you...
Nest - 110 USD X 4 days = 440 USD
Mud Chalet - 79 USD X 2 days = 154 USD
Total = 594 USD

The combined concessions we offered you -
1) 10% discount on total room fee = 59.40 USD
2) Free breakfast for 2 for all 6 days = 7 USD x 6 x 2 = 84 USD
3) Absorption of the PayPal transfer charges = 21.15 USD

As per the breakdown above we offered you a special discount of a total of 164.55 USD, l which I trust you will agree is more than generous, in the peak tourist season.

6. Refund -

After taking into account our special 50 % concession on the cancelation fees, a sum of USD 132 was refundable to you from Saraii. On your request we set off the remaining food, drinks and safari payments from this. The balance refund has been refunded to you already.

7. Dinner

The special arrangements at Saraii for dinner for Dec 31st and 1st Jan have been clearly communicated to you… I have emailed you this on the 3rd of Dec, giving you enough time to inform us if you did not need this festive meal on any of the days, which was a unique gastronomic buffet (unlimited), that included shrimp, Crab, Lobsters, Chicken, Fish, many types of Vegetables, six different type of curry, two varieties of heirloom Rice, Hoppers, String Hoppers paired with Wine.

If you did not want this meal on the 2nd day you could have simply requested that from our staff who would have accommodated you with a simple meal. Our records do not indicate that you even enquired of an alternative; as you yourself acknowledge we have great staff, who would have accommodated you on this simple request should you have expressed it.

8. Running the operation from Colombo

I do not believe that my running the operation from Colombo has any bearing on your disappointment. The staff at Saraii are competent, accommodative and well equipped to provide our guests the unique experience we promise, a fact you yourself have clearly acknowledged. Our General Manager who runs the operation at site has 25 years of experience in the hospitality trade.

I understand that your allegations are stemming from us not agreeing to your claim for a 100% refund for the days you cancelled at short notice and your inaccurate presumption that we were able to fill up the rooms for the days you cancelled. Our records show that you had a good time for the duration of your stay, and I sincerely wish that you had stayed on to enjoy the rest of the days you had booked, as you could have made it a memorable stay for yourself and your wife.

The sole purpose of setting up Saraii has been to provide a unique sustainable eco friendly stay to responsible travelers that understand the importance of the “triple bottom line” and support this concept. Simplicity is key in our offering. We are sad that you were not able to experience this unique offering to the fullest, which we aim to share with all our guests.

I am sorry that this response had to be so long but in the interest of giving the correct perspective to other potential guests who wish to stay at Saraii we think it is the right thing to do.

Warm Regards,
Charitha
(Owner - Saraii Village)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Colombo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The perfect getaway if you want to slow down and simply take a break. Imagine your typical perfect resort and take away all the unnecessary frills, bells and whistles and you almost get Saraii Village; add in the signature tree house experience, the unique open air bathroom and a staff that goes out of the way to make your stay just right, you are closer; but nothing i write here would equal the actual experience.

Nestled in a wooded space between lake and civilization Saraii Village is embedded just enough to give you the feeling of isolation while being just 5 minutes from the main road. Both chalets and tree houses are designed so that you are completely in touch with nature. You can't avoid the sight of the trees, the sky and the odd jungle fowl, even if you tried. The preservation of openness while not compromising privacy is pure genius. I highly recommend the tree house experience; the sense of liberation is hard to describe. The simple but tasteful arrangement of accommodation adds to the charm.

All meals have that home cooked feel about it and Vijitha, the chef, will conjure up anything that you specify. I highly recommend the traditional Sri Lankan cuisine; especially for breakfast. Vijitha makes a mean Pol Sambol, Potato Curry accompanied by Rotti.

Saraii Village can also serve as the perfect base camp for exploring this neck of Sri Lanka. The Yala & Bundala national parks, the religious cities of Kataragama and Tissamaharama, the Cine Village and of course the Weerawila and Tissa tanks are all within 25 minutes from Saraii.

Thank you Saraii Village; we are definitely coming back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
SaraiiVillage, Manager at Saraii Village, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Gamindu,

Thanks for reviewing Saraii Village on tripadvisor.com, we are blown away by your kind words and feedback!

We are very happy that we exceeded your expectations. As a fellow Sri Lankan we are glad that you understood our objectives and purpose to be a getaway where guests can slow down and relax in a tranquil oasis that is hard to find in today’s world of fast paced, rat race living.

Wolkenstein, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have just returned from a visit to the most charming unassuming place I have visited. If ever a place deserved a review this place deserves one. 'Paradise on earth' is a cliche, but it's an accurate one.

Resort
The location itself is pristine, not over-developed, with simple views, colours and surroundings. A once arid brush land lovingly nurtured to be an evergreen forest; You really do feel like you're in a jungle, without any of the discomforts This is not a luxury, high end mega-resort. Rather, it is a sustainable resort dedicated to simple and responsible living. though very much understated, the look and feel of the place are natural, very-comfortable and absolutely gorgeous. The philosophy of the place is to immerse guests in the 'Slow Life' experience. The tree houses are definitely unique. Everything feels organic and natural, including the mud chalets, the recycled furniture, the materials and designs , the sense of seclusion, the peacocks that walk through the property .... Even the open air bathrooms ( well secluded to give one privacy) were gorgeous!

The service was the best I have experienced in any hotel or resort, full stop. It seemed like every time I wanted something, it would materialize or was taken care of in advance. I was genuinely spoiled. The safaris to the Yala nature reserve, the five lakes tour, the visit to the Kataragama temple, a most enjoyable canoe ride on the Wirawila lake, all were unintrusively suggested, magically arranged and executed to perfection.

The food was great with some truly sizzling local Sri Lankan cuisine and wonderful fresh sea food. The “slow food” philosophy of good, clean and fair food was evident in every simple dish prepared for us. Though not offering a wide choice of western and other foreign cuisine the food experience at Saraii was truly a journey of discovery of authentic, simple traditional Sri Lankan food and their origins.

Overall simply the best place I have visited in Asia in the last few years; and I do travel quite a bit. I understood that the place is just a few months old and that Saraii means "essence" in Hebrew which was the inspiration behind the name. Whoever conceptualized it understands about providing an unadulterated experience to the traveler who wants to experience the "real thing"

I will be telling all my friends about this place; and I will be back. Thank you for the experience " a true essence of Sri Lanka"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Dimitri,

We never thanked you for such an excellent review!

We are touched that you took the time to share your Saraii Village experience. You really grasped our offering during your stay and took advantage of all that we have to offer, we are blown away by the kind words that you have shared on tripadvisor.com. We would be honored to have you return to Saraii, we are currently constructing some new tree houses, a new mud chalet and a new restaurant. As one of the earliest guests to visit our establishment we would welcome your feedback on how we have evolved over the last eighteen months.

Many, many thanks,
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great location. We walked in to Saraii without a reservation and thankfully a group of guests were checking out that afternoon. The owners were on site and they assured us that we can have a room within a couple of hours as they wanted to clean up the room before we checked it. We stayed at the lounge area till the rooms were cleared and was offered fresh juice and snacks, and my partner and I ended up chatting with the owners, who had visited for the day. Two very likable, well traveled, friendly people who had started up this place just a few months ago. The owner told us the story of how he developed the place by planting almost all trees by himself with the support of locals and how his wife set the place up as a MBA project. Very interesting and we were fortunate to meet up with this by accident. Serendipity…!!! We stayed in a tree house and this was super fun, especially as the tree house would sway with the breeze… We woke up to peacock calls by around 6 am and was greeted by squirrels and birds. Walking around the premises we even spotted wild hare, jungle fowl and a star tortise hidden among the leaves. We had planned to visit the city during the day but ended by relaxing at the lounge. We were tired after a long journey and we were amazed that we just happened upon the most ideal place for relaxation, just when we needed it the most.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Arianna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at Saraii Village! Sorry that it has taken this long for us to thank you!

We are glad you enjoyed hearing about the origins of Saraii Village from Charitha and Prasanna, it is a story they are passionate about sharing! We hope to have you back to Saraii someday soon to unwind and relax in one of the new tree houses we are currently constructing, they even have toilets inside them!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My friends and I visited Saraii last week and this was a treat. We had planned a safari at Yala as we had a few friends that had come down to SL after a long time and they wanted to see wild life. We first chose Saraii as it was not too far from the Yala Junction and as we got a 20% discount coupon. Was not sure what to expect but I’m very happy about choosing this location. Here’s why –

1. Great food – Traditional food made by a local cook using local vegetables and fresh seafood, along with excellent curd and treacle (best I’ve ever had) and fresh fruits.

2. No “Green-washing” like most hotels – this place is truly green, they’ve used eco friendly material and local material to build the place and they try very hard to keep it carbon nutrel.

3. Simplicity and Relaxation – The place is simple yet comfortable. Perfect place to relax. Do not go to Saraii if you want comforts of a luxury hotel. But they make up with its uniqueness and taste.

4. Service – Excellent service, they aim to please at every point. Our request for tours, promptly arranged, last minute requests for food, accommodated.

5. Resourceful Staff – Our car decided to die on us at Saraii and the staff within 10 mins arranged for a mechanic to come check it out and find the problem and give us a temp solution in order for us to get back to Colombo safely.

All in all a great experience, (expect for the car fiasco) and I would gladly recommend anyone to visit.

Suggestions – Saraii would benefit more by adding on a few more Chalets and Tree Houses. Maybe a pool to help cool off on sunny days.

Room Tip: Mud huts and tree houses are both great.
Dear Bhuvenaka,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Saraii Village on tripadvisor.com.

We are very glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us! You have developed a very accurate understanding of what we are about and the service that we aim to provide to all of our guests that decide to stay with us.

In regards to your suggestions, we are currently building some new tree houses and a new mud chalet at the back of the property, as well as a restaurant, all of this should be completed in March. We would love to have you back and would value your opinion on how we have evolved since you stayed with us last time.

We are sorry that we could not fix your car ourselves!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Most definitely the highlight of our stay in Sri Lanka. We were truly blown away.. an oasis of calm tucked in the most unimaginable place We stayed there for just 1 night, but would have loved to stay for longer. It was our mistake as we had underestimated the place.. an unpretentious, simple operation run by a passionate environmentalist owner couple who happened to be there when we visited. What we liked most was the simplicity, they claim so much less than what they really offer unlike any other place advertised online!!.

The service was excellent during our stay, the tree house ( we stayed in the crib) was cool, artistic and an amazing experience. The tree swaying in the evening breeze as we relaxed on the comfortable bed set up for us was a memory we will cherish. The food was brilliant; the owners were kind enough to explain the food culture and traditions around the local food which was tastefully presented.

Awesome and the best place in Sri Lanka to“experience” your holiday.

Room Tip: Pick the tree house
Dear Alan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your visit to Saraii on tripadvisor.com. Sorry that we have not thanked you sooner!

Simplicity is key in our offering, and we are glad that you loved how unpretentious we are. We are glad our passion as an organization shone through, this is something we really try hard to achieve! Thank you so much for your kind words, we are honoured to have shared our culture and traditions with you.

Galle, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The best place for relaxation. Very different idea of a hotel. Not something I've been used to before, but a place I’m glad I’ve been to. 2 of the rooms are tree houses and the others made with clay. My friends and I (4 girls) stayed in a tree house and the evening was like a slumber party. We got our food served up to the tree house and stay up till late night chatting. One of the best experiences the four of us had ever had, we know we will remember this forever. The manager was very sweet and even gave us free fresh juice from the garden. Food was great, we requested for seafood and we got lots of it along with some of the largest shrimp I’ve ever seen. Will be back here for sure.

Room Tip: Tree top rooms are fun
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Amina,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Saraii Village, we really value all the feedback that we receive from guests who have stayed at Saraii, it helps us to improve our services and evolve our guest experiences. We love it when we receive views as kind and praising as yours, it’s like a big pat on the back for all of our staff.

We are currently building even larger tree houses so your slumber party can triple in size and we could still accommodate you all! Thanks for your comments regarding our food, we know how picky fellow Sri Lankans can be when it comes to seafood, as we are privileged to have such a high quality!

You are welcome back any time!

The Saraii Village Management Team

Been to Saraii Village? Share your experiences!