“Better Than Average” 4 of 5 stars

Kachcheriyagama, Tissamaharama 82600, Sri Lanka   |
Tweed Valley, Australia
“Better Than Average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

On our arrival we were met by Ebert and Kumari, the hosts, and shown to our comfortable room at the back of the complex. The food we had was very good and the beer was cold. Ebert organised tours for us to Bundala and Yala, which were very good.

The worst part was the pack of dogs barking for part of the night nearby

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Muscat, Oman
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited Yala National Park in August 2012. And I stayed at the ‘Traveller’s Home’ owned by Ebert.

I was referred to his place by a tout in Nuwara Eliya, who claimed to be Ebert’s brother.
Ebert ripped me off.

The room he gave me inside his house (adjoining the kitchen) was mediocre and he charged me SLR. 4,000/- for less than 12-hours. While I spoke with him from Nuwara Eliya he had agreed to let me have the room for SLR. 1500/- for a day.

I couldn’t even use the shower as the water pressure was too low and the water was falling drop-by-drop. Also, I almost lost a finger while removing my tee – the ceiling fan was too low – luckily the fan was spinning at a slow speed.

The service at this home stay was shockingly poor – I was seated at his porch by 04:30 a.m. for the 05:00 a.m. jungle safari and no one bothered to serve me my tea, or provide me with the takeaway sandwiches, for which I had already paid an additional amount !

Ebert insisted that I pack-up even before I went for my safari as he had other guests lined up.
At Traveller’s Home money-making is sole motto. Service standards are way too low. But the prices charged are over the top.

For an 8-hour jungle safari, Ebert charged me SLR. 7,500/- !

The only saving grace of my trip was that I saw a Sri Lankan leopard during the closing hours of the safari.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend anybody to go anywhere near Ebert or his ‘Traveller’s Home’.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We live here introduced by our driver, this is a very nice yard with very kind stuff. We booked safari with the manager here which is very convenient. Food here is good, too. The manager here is very nice, our friends and him talked happily the night we stay here on the yard grass. We took off at 5:20 in the morning to Yala National Park, arrived at 5:50. The safari driver has very good eyes to discover animals for us which we really appreciate. The boss helped us a lot during our staying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Warrington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed for one night when watching the cricket in Hambantota (1hr tuk tuk from this guesthouse). We had a bungalow room (2500/=) which was pleasant, with its own balcony overlooking the paddy fields, and was nice and peaceful.

We didn't do the safari, so can't comment on that, but the owner was kind enough to collect us from the bus stop, and organise the tuk tuk to the cricket and back, so we had no complaints with him.

I'd agree that Lonely Planet seem to over-rate this place, but it is fine for a cheap place to stay in Tissa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bilbao, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Good mosquito net and air conditioning and plesant verandah. Can arrange safari to Yala National Park. Very comfortable jeep, one of the best in the park. I saw a leopard eating it`s kill. I didn't expect to see a leopard which was a highlight.Altogether a great experience. In the hotel, very warm and familiar atmosphere, the perfect place to get closer to local culture. Also, they have a nice bar and restaurant with a cute terrace where you can relax and eat. It;s absolutely the right place to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at Traveller's home for 3 nights. We were given a very reasonable price of 1,300 RP for a double room with attached bathroom (cold water). The room came with a mosquito net (necessary in Tissa) and a fan. More expensive bungalows were available outside of the house but the rooms inside were clean and bright so we opted for the cheapie. The food on offer is relatively cheap and good quality. The family informed me that during a period of 3 months prior to my visit they had been on holiday, and leased the property to a local family. During this time a lot of tourists made complaints about the owner and various incidents.

Room Tip: If you want a bit of luxury opt for a bungalow. Otherwise bargain for a room in the main house near...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights while visiting the national park. The only reason we stayed an extra night is because on Suday afternoon there are no buses to Ella.

The place was OK. Room was overpriced but clean and comfortable. We paid 2500 RS with AC. The food was also just OK. We orders to late to get a curry so we had some overpriced noodles.

The Safari was also over priced (note the theme). We paid 5000 RS all inclusive each. This gave us a 6 hour tour. The trip was so so. Good to see the park but 6 hours was a little long and you get a lot
Of dust in your eyes.

Tissa has very little to offer, it is dangerous to walk around at night. We are a group of 2 females and we got grabbed at about 8pm walking back to this guesthouse.The staff were very friendly and felt very bad about what happened.

Overall a pretty good stay. Nothing amazing.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Traveller's Home? Share your experiences!