“Over priced for what you get” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Marine

The Marine
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glandore
The Marine
You added The Marine to your Saves list
The Pier, Glandore, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glandore
Ireland
“Over priced for what you get”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

Stayed at the Marine as we were attending a wedding in Glandore and would have to say that I would not return. Glandore itself is beautiful but a number of things in this hotel were not up to the mark. Firstly we had to pay 50% of the total upfront and the remainder was requested before we even arrived. So not off to a good start then. The room itself was very nice apart from the fact that it was in an annex across from the main building. Breakfast was descibed as continental in the room but it was completely inadequate and substandard. The bread was not fresh and the breakfast was kept in a mini fridge in the room this is not really what we expected as the stay was fairly expensive. On the morning of our departure the cleaning lady knocked on the door twice before check out time and this didn't impress us. Whilst the room and bathroom are spacious, clean and comfortable and the main hotel had a very nice bar we felt that we didnt get value for money and that the breakfast was a joke

• Liked — Beautiful view
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mountainside, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

Upon our arrival at The Marine, we were immediately made to feel at home and thrilled with the accomodations. Over the course of five days we had nothing but wonderful experiences. The beds and pillows were perhaps the most comfortable we've ever experienced. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The setting was picturesque and relaxing. We definately plan to return sometime in the near future. We would recommend this to anyone looking for a lovely place to stay. We dealt with Declan, who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, but everyone on the staff was friendly too.

Kurt & Fiona Christoffers
Mountainside, New Jersey USA

• Liked — Accomodations and service
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

A charming hotel located in a gorgeous village in the West of Cork. Very accomadating & very friendly staff. Would highly recommend this hotel. Locals are great craic too!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on the night of my sister's wedding and it was just appaling. I had problems in the run up to the stay as they took a 50% deposit on booking and never mentioned that they were going to take the full amount at least 2 weeks before our stay (it might even have been a month). So they took the full amount of €125 for bed and breakfast in a double room without asking from our credit cards.

We arrived at the hotel to find a fairly grim, shabby corridor up to the room which smelt of damp. The room was basic but clean. I noticed in the corner of the room that there was a small fridge, a kettle and some mini boxes of cereal. On closer inspection I noticed the back of the door was covered in laminated notices and on one of the notices in small print it explained that the "breakfast" was a continental breakfast served in the room. I inspected the food further and found some slices of brown bread wrapped in clingfilm, a small carton of milk and two very bashed pats of butter in a dirty cup full of dried up jam. I also found some yogurts and I opened one of these and found it looked quite old. Since I was pregnant I was afraid to eat it and I avoided the butter as it looked like it had been through the wars. So I settled for a cup of tea.

My wheelchair bound mother was in the room beneath us and her disabled room consisted of a step just inside the door and then a high step down into her bathroom with no signage indicating that it was there (I nearly fell the next morning when I came down to help her up). She had a carer with her who had the foresight to bring a comode otherwise my mother would have been unable to go to the bathroom as the step would have prevented the wheelchair from getting in and out of the bathroom.

In the morning we decided to head across to the hotel (the rooms are separate from the actual hotel) for something warm to eat and found that there was no obvious way into the hotel with a wheelchair as the reception was down several steps and the bar was up several steps. We finally got the attention of someone in the reception who opened up a side door (with difficulty I might add) to allow us bring in the wheelchair. When we went inside the bar staff were as far away from friendly and helpful as I have ever come across. I didn't stay for any food as I had enough at this stage and decided to go elsewhere.

The bride and groom also stayed at the hotel and were treated to the same continental breakfast which came as a surprise to even them.

I should add that the hotel was locked up at night so there was no-one available if there was a problem and there was no residents bar or room service possible.

I looked for a phone in the room but couldn't find any but that's not to say it wasn't there somewhere however I couldn't find it.

I can't say much more about this place except that the owners seem to have a monopoly because they also run the venue which held the wedding so wedding parties tend to stay at the hotel and there is no other hotel in the village - just B&Bs. I can totally see why they take all the money up front as there is no way I would have handed over €125 after I had seen the state of the place.

I wish I had stayed in one of the many B&Bs outside the village as I'm sure I would have got much better value for my money and a warm breakfast too.

I hope my review will save at least someone else from a disgusting stay at a disgusting establishment. I can't imagine this place could ever receive a positive review. I really feel like I was robbed.

• Liked — It was clean at least
  • Disliked — Where do I start - I guess taking the full payment in advance.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Glandore hotels

Cork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

This was was the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in. I do not even know where to begin! Check in took ages as we could not find anyone to check us in, rooms were basic, there was only 1 towel for 2 people! The bedclothes were damp, we got no sleep as the hotel has appartments across the way and there was a very noisy party going on till 3 in the morning. The hotel does not do cooked breakfasts ( a first in my Irish hotel experiences) and instead leave a continental breakfast in a fridge in your room. The fridge had never been switched on so we awoke to a breakfast of sour milk and yoghurt, stale bread and a mini box of cornflakes! When I aired my grievances to the manager he asked me what did I want him to do about it! Am still in shock!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Marine? Share your experiences!