“I thought I was in a MacDonalds” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, English, Pub, Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Derby Arms joined the Ainscoughs Pub team in December 2008 after extensive restoration. Serving good food, beer and wine in a traditional environment with log fires and period furniture just like the rest of the pubs in the group. We have now been recommended in the Michelin Pub Guide for 2014 and have won the 'Pub of the Season' award, CAMRA. We have a games room with a pool table and dart board which is intended to form the focus of the village. The Derby Arms was purchased from Punch Taverns by the Witherslack Community Land Trust and the Ainscough Family took over the lease to preserve it as part of Witherslack life. Part of the pub was converted into the village shop, run by the community with community shareholders.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“I thought I was in a MacDonalds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Disappointed that James (Manager) has left as he was very customer serviced focus and had a good presence in the bar. Called in for a (very) late lunch around 3.30pm and was hoping that myself and my partner could enjoy some food before we left to go home to Manchester. The bar area was very busy so moved into the back area and ordered some food. After we had been served a family came in with a very young, screaming child and from then onwards our meal was totally spoilt. The bar staff made no effort to speak to the parents and were then surprised that we complained that we could not hear each other when the child was in 'full flow'. Chris, the Assistant Manager made no attempt to come over and speak to us - all done via one of the younger members of staff who is sadly lacking in any customer service if they expect paying customers to accept the situation. The cost of the meal was reduced but to be honest they need to get their act together and should have learned something from James before he left - he had started a family area to avoid situations like this.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Very Good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We ate at the Derby Arms on two occasions. On both occasions the meals were excellent using good quality ingredients and the presentation was excellent.

There was also a good choice of real ales from local breweries, the only slight disappointment was only two choices of draft lager.

The service was attentive and prompt and the decor was very traditional with lots of old paintings and prints on the wall, and mismatching tables and chairs. I prefer this compared to the pub chains when every pub looks the same.

Dogs are welcome and it was lovely to see an open roaring log fire.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
opsmgrainscoughs, General Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit. I'm delighted you have had a great experience and enjoyed our food, beer and pub. We did have additional lagers but found that we were not selling enough to keep them to the standard we would want. Please do visit us again soon, we have made a few menu changes, and hope you'll be equally pleased.
Crosthwaite, United Kingdom
“Stress free evening meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

From the cheery person on the end of the phone taking my reservation through the not too long but not rushed service to paying for the meal was a lovely experience....and the food was great! Accurately described on the menu, not high brow but tasty & well presented. The open fire contributed to the atmosphere, thanks for a lovely evening.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cj1127, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hello Charlotte, many thanks for your kind words. Sounds like you had a great evening, we'd love to welcome you back for another!

Many thanks,

Chris Hoyle
Assistant Manager
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, great beer, good food, muddy boots and an open fire.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

After a muddy trudge nearby we had lunch at the pub, arriving not long before service was finishing. The welcome was warm and the nearby open fire was soon brought back to life. The beer was excellent and the food good value and tasty (sandwiches only). The service was good with additional drinks brought to the table.
We enquired about rooms and the new owner took us up to look at an empty room. He said that he was dispensing with a higher tariff for "superior" rooms and you book what you want.
This is a good pub and the owner deserves to succeed. I will return to help him!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - used to be great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Usually I would be raving about The Derby Arms as myself and my friends have been regulars for years as the meals were so lovely. However this does not seem to be the case anymore. The menu seems to have been given a bit of a rethink and I was really disappointed to see no offering for gluten free options which, previously there had been. It is depressing enough when you have to eradicate most of the menu because it contains gluten however a lot of restaurants are making the effort to make alternative options which the Derby USED to be one of! So I ended up with the warm goats cheese salad which cost £10.50 and consisted of a few lettuce leaves, 3 sun blush tomatoes and a bit of onion and two pieces of goats cheese, this isn't really what I would class as a main meal it was more like a starter and for that price I would have expected something more substantial. The portion sizes have progressively got smaller with some of the dishes.
I'm sorry Derby Arms you used to be our first choice for a nice lunch however you are off the list now as the food is just not the quality it used to be.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
opsmgrainscoughs, Manager at The Derby Arms, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
I'm very disappointed that you have had an experience below the levels you would normally associate with The Derby Arms. With regard to the menu, we are constantly changing dishes are are always happy to accommodate various dietary requirements and I'm sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I hope that you do contact us and allow us the opportunity to put your faith back into our lovely pub